The Lathe of Heaven (1971)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

6,2141861,483 (4.02)2 / 315
A classic science fiction novel by one of the greatest writers of the genre, set in a future world where one man's dreams control the fate of humanity. In a future world racked by violence and environmental catastrophes, George Orr wakes up one day to discover that his dreams can alter reality. He seeks help from Dr. William Haber, a psychiatrist who immediately grasps the power George wields. Soon George must preserve reality itself as Dr. Haber becomes adept at manipulating George's dreams for his own purposes.… (more)
    Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem (ahstrick)
    The Dream Master by Roger Zelazny (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Science fiction about the technological control of sleeping dreams. They're just dreams, right? What could go wrong?
    The Kin of Ata Are Waiting for You by Dorothy Bryant (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alternate realities accessed through dreams.
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both books carry a philosophical weight to their world-saving. A similar atmosphere to their protagonists, worlds, and occupancy of a more soul-searching lot in the science fiction spectrum make them nicely complementary to each other.
    Death by Dreaming by Jon Manchip White (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Same plot: Doctor exploits a patient whose dreams overlap waking life. Unlike Le Guin's good guy/bad guy suspense story, though, Manchip White's dwells on vivid unsettling dreams and their disturbing RL parallels.
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff (The_Kat_Cache)
    The_Kat_Cache: The Lathe of Heaven is chock-full of Taoist principles. This book elaborates on the philosophy in an easily accessible manner.

English (176)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (183)
An interesting premise, but it just didn't catch me in terms of the quality of the language and some of the plot turns and associated character developments. Also, the very unsubtle political critiques that felt somewhat inspired by a Cold War mentality were quite grating. ( )
  lschiff | Sep 24, 2023 |
Rating: 3.5 stars. I am not much of a sci-fi reader but I might post a review later.

04/20/2022 update:

I'm posting a short review before the details of the story begin to fade in my memory.

I enjoyed Le Guin's writing and the general premise of a person's dreams being able to alter the future is an interesting, yet very unsettling one. The story is much more sophisticated than that, as Le Guin interweaves some philosophical and ethical dilemmas into events as everything unfolds. In fact, sadly some of the darker aspects are very relevant to current events. I suspect some of Le Guin's underlying messages may have gone over my head, especially in my rush to complete the novel before it was due back. The weakest link in the story was the characterization. Although I was horrified by one person's intentions, I really did not really connect with any of the individuals. I was glad to have read this rather bizarre book once but I don't think I'd reread it again. I might consider trying one of Le Guin's other fiction novels in the future. ( )
  Ann_R | Aug 7, 2023 |
4.5 ( )
  TheScribblingMan | Jul 29, 2023 |
I think this is actually my first - though obviously not my last - taste of Le Guin. Though my copy, a reprint from the early 80s, had quite a few typos which always draws me out of a story, overall I really enjoyed this story. ( )
  xaverie | Apr 3, 2023 |

Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Confucius and you are both dreams, and I who say you are dreams am in a dream myself. This is a paradox. Tomorrow a wise man may explain it; that tomorrow will not be for ten thousand generations. — Chuang Tse: II
Current-borne, wave-flung, tugged hugely by the whole might of ocean, the jellyfish drifts in the tidal abyss.
'Hello,' he said again.
He never spoke with any bitterness at all, no matter how awful the things he said. Are there really people without resentment, without hate, she wondered. People who never go cross-grained to the universe? Who recognize evil, and resist evil, and yet are utterly unaffected by it?
Of course there are. Countless, the living and the dead. Those who have returned in pure compassion to the wheel, those who follow the way that cannot be followed without knowing they follow it, the sharecropper's wife in Alabama and the lama in Tibet and the entomologist in Peru and the millworker in Odessa and the greengrocer in London and the goatherd in Nigeria and the old, old man sharpening a stick by a dry streambed somewhere in Australia, and all the others. There is not one of us who has not known them. There are enough of them, enough to keep us going. Perhaps.
A person who believes, as she did, that things fit: that there is a whole of which one is a part, and that in being a part one is whole: such a person has no desire whatever, at any time, to play God. Only those who have denied their being yearn to play at it.

The plot revolves around a character whose dreams alter reality.
His dreams are made real
for all time, for all places.
Please don't dream of death.
(LeBoeuf)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 194,689,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible