Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem

Amnesia Moon

by Jonathan Lethem

A post-apocalyptic road noir tale of Chaos, who lives in an abandoned projection booth at the Multiplex in Hatfork, Wyoming, and his journey to find the truth at the heart of his own American nightmare.
    The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin (ahstrick)
    Ice by Anna Kavan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Kavan was clearly an influence on Lethem.
    Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K. Dick (sturlington)
    sturlington: Amnesia Moon is an homage to PKD and references this novel.

Not on a par with Gun, With Occasional Music or Motherless Brooklyn for me, but still a fun, imaginative and quick read. The pacing seemed a bit off - the first 3/4 of it was a meandering road trip, while last quarter brought in a slew of new people and plots, which made the ending feel rushed. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Imagination, invention run wild. A road trip through a troubled mindscape. Furry girl, green fog, clock people, trashed people: the future of Mr. Lethem when he was young. Before he got to Brooklyn. He travels well but does not know how to end it. I prefer a bang to a waco wyoming. ( )
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
Since I just re-read 'Motherless Brooklyn' I thought I'd get around to reading the sci-fi book of Lethem's that's been sitting on my shelf. Unfortunately, I didn't like it nearly so much.
'Amnesia Moon' is really a seriously wanna-be-Philip-K.-Dick book. If you really like Dick and his trippy perspectives on things, you might love this book. I thought it had some interesting moments - but, as a whole, it didn't work for me.
It's a post-apocalyptic scenario. There's definitely been some kind of disaster, but no one seems to remember exactly what happened. No one really seems to remember much. Everett Moon, aka Chaos, etc, leaves the derelict town he believes he's been in for the last five years, along with a mutant teen, and embarks on a journey... it seems that everything has become very "localized" - different areas are completely different realities, possibly controlled by those individuals whose dreams have gained the power to influence reality. Moon seems to be searching for something - but it's hard to identify what you want when you can't even remember your old loves or friends...
Like I said, there were some interesting scenes - the "green" town is memorable, and the idea of accessing and communicating with people by injecting drugs was kinda interesting (if, again, Dick-ian). However, the book has no conclusion whatsoever, let alone an explanation. I felt like the author couldn't think of a satisfying way to explain what had happened - so he just decided not to bother with an ending at all. Disappointing. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I see a lot of people saying that the story of the book confusing.
On the contrary, I found the plot too straightforward, the mystery dull and the characters lacklusting, at the best. ( )
  bloodrizer | Nov 19, 2015 |

Jonathan Lethemprimary authorall editionscalculated
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karl Rusnak and Gian Bongiorno
Edge had the highway to himself.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,132,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible