Breakfast at Tiffany's (Essential Penguin)

by Truman Capote

With her tousled blond hair and upturned nose, dark glasses and chic black dresses, Holly Golightly is top notch in style and a sensation wherever she goes. Her brownstone apartment vibrates with martini-soaked parties as she plays hostess to millionaires and gangsters alike. Yet Holly never loses sight of her ultimate goal.… (more)

I'll admit I saw the movie first. But I didn't feel like I understood Holly after watching. So, I finally got around to picking up a copy of the book.

I definitely have a better understanding of the character now.
She's iconic ofcourse, I picture her immaculately dressed and browsing Tiffany's.
She's not always likable, she is without a doubt memorable. She leaves an impression on those around her, usually men. She can be very insensitive, though many of her comments in the book would have likely been considered more common dialogue during the 40's than today.

Above all, I think, poor Holly is pretty broken. She's doing what she can to pull herself up and away from her past.

Ultimately I'd suggest both the book and the movie.
In the movie, you get a glamour and light heartedness that isn't as present in the book.
In the book, you get to know Holly better and you get some really beautifully written lines that you'd miss by only seeing the movie. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
This short novella is worth a read. First, Capote is a brilliant writer. Second, it is NOTHING like the movie which is only very loosely based on the book. There's no way Hollywood would have faithfully made this book into a movie in 1961-- way too subversive and shocking. Audrey Hepburn is nothing like the raw, uncensored, sexually liberated Holly Golightly that Capote created. Read it-- it will only take a few days.

My only complaint, if it is that, is it would have been more interesting to see this story developed into a full novel. ( )
  technodiabla | Jan 12, 2017 |
Breakfast at Tiffany’s is only 100 pages long and is an easy read, but it didn’t really do it for me and less than a week after finishing, I’m struggling to remember details –not a good sign!

However, this novella also contains three short stories - House of Flowers, a tale about prostitute in Port-a-Prince who falls in love and leaves her profession – a decision her close friends struggle to come to terms with, A Diamond Guitar about a hardened criminal in prison whose life is touched by a young man, and (my favourite of the three) A Christmas Memory a seven year old and a “sixty-something” year old who are cousins and best friends. I must admit that I preferred these to the main story – I would say it’s worth getting hold of the book for these as they were great! ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
During a long train journey I red this book in one sitting.
While reading, I was truly wondering what is was that made this book so special, that it found itself a spot on the 1001-list. In my very humble opinion I must admit I do not see it, I didn't find it very special or extraordinary.
I'm glad I've read it, one more to tick off :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 25, 2014 |
It took me a while to read this delightfully written story. Not because it was hard-going, anything but. Not a plot heavy novel, more a beautiful character study of the enigmatic and lost Holly Golightly, who we all want to find the happiness she craves but will never because of the flaws in her character. Truman Capote's style reminded me somewhat of Raymond Chandler with its punchy pros and lively dialogue. Better than the film, in my opinion, with a completely different and poignant ending. ( )
  Stuart_Taylor | May 19, 2014 |
I don't mean I'd mind being rich and famous. That's very much on my schedule, and someday I'll try to get around to it; but if it happens, I'd like to have my ego tagging along. I want to still be me when I wake up one fine morning and have breakfast at Tiffany's.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,188,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible