dismiss

Mexican Gothic

by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

3792048,090 (3.95)8
"The acclaimed author of Gods of Jade and Shadow returns with a darkly enchanting reimagining of Gothic fantasy, in which a spirited young woman discovers the haunting secrets of a beautiful old mansion in 1950s Mexico"--

"The walls speak to me. They tell me secrets. Don't listen to them, press your hands against your ears, Noemí. There are ghosts. They're real. You’ll see them eventually." ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Aug 13, 2020 |
This was not my cup of tea and not because it was poorly written. The descriptions are vivid and it's easy to get totally immersed in it. Too easy. I got to the point where I just wanted it to end. Not because it was too scary, but almost too incredible with a touch of really gross. If you like horror, you might love this book, but definitely, not my genre. ( )
  jmoncton | Aug 10, 2020 |
I am an acknowledged horror-wimp. So why did I decide to pick this one up? Well, for starters I have enjoyed the other work by Moreno-Garcia that I have read, so I was willing to give her take on horror a try. Second, I do prefer the Gothic version of horror (which is often slow-paced and suspenseful) to many more modern versions of horror (which can be a lot more gory and just gross). Third, I couldn't resist that cover.

And? Well, it wasn't too much horror for me to handle. It starts as a slow burn, and then it takes a hard right turn and the pace (and weird/gross/horror part) ramps up dramatically. It all fits the tone and the style, but be aware that the book does start off really languid, almost dreamy.

There were some more violent scenes than I had expected based on the tone of the start of the book, but nothing was too explicit or graphic. It's also all part of the "haunted house" part of the plot, so some of the scenes are of questionable reality. They were short scenes, and I'm not sure if the assault went far enough to be classified as rape, but there was definitely unwanted touching.

In all, I did enjoy this spooky atmospheric book and the writing, though I would definitely recommend it for fans of darker fiction. Don't read this if you want a happy-fun-fluffy book, but I think you could have guessed that from the title and book cover. It was very well crafted, though, and I'm really happy for Silvia Moreno-Garcia that it has done so well. She's a great author, and very versatile in her writing style. This one was almost too dark for me, but not quite, and I enjoyed the journey. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jul 29, 2020 |
Noemi is a socialite, rather like a Scarlet O'Hara type of young women. She likes to flirt, leave men dangling for her favors, loves clothes and partying. Her father is wealthy and doesn't approve of her latest conquest. When he receives a strange message from his newly married young neice, he is worried enough to request that Noemi travel to the Mexican countryside to find out what is happening. When Noemi arrives at High Place, the name of the ancestral home of her cousins husband, she finds things very strange indeed.

Gothic in nature and tone, the creepiness and strangeness of this novel accelerates. All is not as it appears and things get stranger and stranger. I fervently hoped that the young man I liked would not become a villian, but this family has many secrets and are committed to keeping them hidden. Noemi will discover hidden strengths, which she will desperately need to survive. As things decelerate into outright horror and the secrets the house is harboring is revealed, I couldn't help comparing it to The Shining. The situations are different but the power held in the house, its hold on those inside, becomes apparent. It also shows how those in charge will do anything to keep what they have, how little those in the way mean to them.

Quite good and chilling, strange and horrifying. Could be I was just in the mood for something though unbelievable pulled me out of myself.

ARC from Edelweiss. ( )
  Beamis12 | Jul 26, 2020 |
What a ride! This gave off some real spooky vibes - reminiscent of The Haunting of Hill House and Rosemary's Baby. Mexican Gothic has a slow, unsettling, suspenseful pace where nothing adds up. Noemi's father sends her to a remote and isolated mansion in the Mexican countryside to check in on her cousin who has sent a very unsettling letter. Catalina mentions spirits, things in the walls, and voices and Noemi's father is convinced that someone needs to see her and evaluate if she needs medical help. When Noemi arrives she is instantly perturbed by the creaking old mansion; there is mold, windows don't open, and the staff and family are beyond peculiar and demanding. It's the most uninviting place she's ever seen. Like the letter suggested, her cousin Catalina is deeply disturbed and not right in the head. Noemi decides to stay and try to convince her cousin's husband to let her get psychiatric help or at least to get out of the damned house and get some fresh air. They're wrapped up in their own little world and something is deeply wrong. The longer she stays the more she too comes under the houses deeply disturbed spell. What is going on here and how can she and her cousin escape? Slow start, but one hell of an ending - didn't see it coming! ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 22, 2020 |

Silvia Moreno-Garciaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, TimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,236,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible