Mexican Gothic

by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Fantasy. Fiction. Romance. Historical Fiction. HTML:NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • “It’s Lovecraft meets the Brontës in Latin America, and after a slow-burn start Mexican Gothic gets seriously weird.”—The Guardian

IN DEVELOPMENT AS A HULU ORIGINAL LIMITED SERIES PRODUCED BY KELLY RIPA AND MARK CONSUELOS • WINNER OF THE LOCUS AWARD • NOMINATED FOR THE BRAM STOKER AWARD
ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR: The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, NPR, The Washington Post, Tordotcom, Marie Claire, Vox, Mashable, Men’s Health, Library Journal, Book Riot, LibraryReads

An isolated mansion. A chillingly charismatic aristocrat. And a brave socialite drawn to expose their treacherous secrets. . . . From the author of Gods of Jade and Shadow comes “a terrifying twist on classic gothic horror” (Kirkus Reviews) set in glamorous 1950s Mexico.

After receiving a frantic letter from her newly-wed cousin begging for someone to save her from a mysterious doom, Noemí Taboada heads to High Place, a distant house in the Mexican countryside. She’s not sure what she will find—her cousin’s husband, a handsome Englishman, is a stranger, and Noemí knows little about the region.

Noemí is also an unlikely rescuer: She’s a glamorous debutante, and her chic gowns and perfect red lipstick are more suited for cocktail parties than amateur sleuthing. But she’s also tough and smart, with an indomitable will, and she is not afraid: Not of her cousin’s new husband, who is both menacing and alluring; not of his father, the ancient patriarch who seems to be fascinated by Noemí; and not even of the house itself, which begins to invade Noemi’s dreams with visions of blood and doom.

Her only ally in this inhospitable abode is the family’s youngest son. Shy and gentle, he seems to want to help Noemí, but might also be hiding dark knowledge of his family’s past. For there are many secrets behind the walls of High Place. The family’s once colossal wealth and faded mining empire kept them from prying eyes, but as Noemí digs deeper she unearths stories of violence and madness.

And Noemí, mesmerized by the terrifying yet seductive world of High Place, may soon find it impossible to ever leave this enigmatic house behind.
“It’s as if a supernatural power compels us to turn the pages of the gripping Mexican Gothic.”—The Washington Post
“Mexican Gothic is the perfect summer horror read, and marks Moreno-Garcia with her hypnotic and engaging prose as one of the genre’s most exciting talents.”Nerdist
“A period thriller as rich in suspense as it is in lush ’50s atmosphere.”Entertainment Weekly
… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Anonymous user)
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (Mimilly40)
    The Changeling by Victor LaValle (TooBusyReading)
    TooBusyReading: Both involve some horror and creepiness, but I like The Changeling more than I liked Mexican Gothic.
    What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher (Heather39)
    Heather39: Fungal horror.
    House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Gothic mystery set in a huge estate with a young female protagonist. Sketchy familial relationships and magic abound.
    The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow (Horishny95)
    Horishny95: I enjoyed Mexican Gothic very much. Would recommend this for those who like revenge.

English (225)  Italian (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (229)
“Mexican Gothic” is a little slow going for the first part but then quickly descends into a fungi-infested hellscape of Gothic horror that became darkly fun to read! It felt like watching one of those old school black & white horror movies yet more nuanced, more willing to look at not just monster horrors but also the horrors of colonialism, racism, and the gaslighting of women. I think it IS fairly predictable to figure out what’s happening, and some plot points are a little too convenient, but it’s also heavy on the creepy factor so it made a great autumn read. :) ( )
  deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
3.5/5
Gothic scenery, sassy main character, and a sinister conundrum she must solve to ensure the care of her dear cousin. Not knowing if her cousin is simply decaying from TB or is slowly losing her mind, she feels she's just not the cousin she grew up loving. Open your eyes...
There may be something wrong with the people in the manor, she must leave and investigate aids for what ails her dear cousin. Open your eyes...
The tincture her dear cousin asked for made her violently ill. She's such a strong willed woman, or is she just a spoiled child. Open your eyes...
Neomi begins to sleepwalk and grow feelings for her cousin's husband?! No! It was a dream, wasn't it? What's going on? As reality shifts and a gloom settles over, things begin to reveal themselves. Open your eyes... ( )
  cmpeters | Feb 2, 2024 |
When I was a teenager I discovered gothic romance. I read everything written by Phyllis Whitney and Mary Stuart. I thought that this book would be something like those. However, it veers further into the horror genre. Sone of the things in this book were disturbing and outside my comfort zone. I still gave it four stars because my not liking it too much doesn't make it a bad book. It's definitely not something that I will reread though. ( )
  Woodardja | Jan 30, 2024 |
Well this was weird. I overall enjoyed it, but it was very different for me. The first half was slow, but boy did things pick up. There are a couple of spots that grossed me out, and I have questions. ( )
  sfrench95 | Jan 25, 2024 |
This has been one of the most anticipated horror novels of 2020, so I am a day late and a dollar short yet again. From the title and description, I expected to read a fairly classical Gothic tale, with the Mexican culture transposed and a spooky feel. This gothic expectation was partly fulfilled, though there is a lot more going on in this book than the established tropes of the Gothic genre.

The important thing to know about this book is that, though it is a horror novel, the horror elements are fairly understated throughout most of the book. It is very much a slow-burn story, allowing the reader time to gradually get to know the characters and the setting before delivering its climax. On many levels, this is effective, though I do think the pacing is a little off. I do not mind a slow burn of a story, but after an intriguing opening, the middle section seems to drag on a bit longer than it should in my honest opinion, offering small bits of information about the horrific mystery at the novel's heart in small doses and in a way that does not particularly add to the story's tension as much as I would have hoped. Once the stakes have been established early, these revelations do enrich the reader's understanding, page by page, of what is really going on, but the pacing in the middle is so slow that it does not really add much to the story.

The slow-burn character of the novel does finally reverse itself in the final third or so of the book, when a final set of revelations come in rapid succession, building to a true climax. In fact, these climactic revelations seem to come a bit too rapidly, once again short-changing dramatic tension in favor of bringing the plot closer to its conclusion. The novel's pacing could have been better had the revelations built more gradually to a buildup.

Issues with pacing aside, I found it overall to be an enjoyable read. The reader will have no trouble liking or disliking the characters according to how the author means them to be viewed. While some characters are better-developed than others, they do provide an interesting ensemble. The writing style occasionally veers toward the wordy or "flowery," but always stops just short of the point at which it becomes too much, giving the book a haunting, almost meditative sort of characteristic.

Endings in horror are often difficult to get right because once one knows what the evil actually is, it immediately loses much of its power to terrify. Undeniably, the revelation of this novel's big bad strains the limits of the willing suspension of disbelief a bit, but it nevertheless leads to an ending that is more satisfying than I expected. Glad I read it honestly wish I would have read it sooner. Four-stars all around I cannot wait to see what comes next for this author. ( )
  b00kdarling87 | Jan 7, 2024 |

Moreno-Garcia, Silviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corzo, FrankieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, TimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scocchera, GiovannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Para mi madre
The parties at the Tuñóns' house always ended unquestionably late, and since the hosts enjoyed costume parties in particular, it was not unusual to see Chinas Poblanas with their folkloric skirts and ribbons in their hair arrive in the company of a harlequin or a cowboy.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,078,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible