Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone

Dog Soldiers (1974)

by Robert Stone

In Saigon during the waning days of the Vietnam War, a small-time journalist named John Converse thinks he'll find action--and profit--by getting involved in a big-time drug deal. But back in the States, things go horribly wrong for him. "Dog Soldiers" perfectly captures the underground mood of America in the 1970s, when amateur drug dealers and hippies encountered profiteering cops and professional killers--and the price of survival was dangerously high.… (more)
Recently added byAdammmmm, hrebml, private library, ChrisNorthington, rgwillie, ejmw, ucla70, jsich, gtross
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna, David Foster Wallace
    Meditations in Green by Stephen Wright (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: A stronger look at Vietnam and drugs, not quite brought down by the dated thriller aspects of Dog Soldiers.
    Tree of Smoke: A Novel by Denis Johnson (Boohradley)
    The Third Man and The Fallen Idol by Graham Greene (pitjrw)
    pitjrw: War's moral fallout.

This was an amazing tale. I was thoroughly wowed, especially by the ending-- which was a roller-coaster ride of emotion and action. Stone is a great writer and he exemplifies his talents well here. A must read for anyone who looks at the synopsis and wishes to go further. Impressive and integral. Full marks. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
I read the first 100 pages--and the first 30 twice, since the first time through I wasn't giving them my all and wanted to give this book about which I'd heard so much the benefit of the doubt. I just found myself looking at the ceiling and asking, "Who cares?" The abandon-moment for me was the scene with Marge taking Dilaudid and calling her father. I just couldn't believe it. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
Descriptive writing and curious plot--I enjoyed this novel while it was in hand, but it hasn't stayed with me. ( )
  ProfH | Jan 15, 2017 |
I recall there was only about one paragraph actually worth reading in the whole novel ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
A dream turns into a nightmare. Some whacked out characters get caught up in stuff way over their heads and then wonder how things could have gone so wrong. Reads like a David Lynch film. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A great American masterpiece.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible