Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Longstocking (1945)

by Astrid Lindgren

Series: Pippi Longstocking (1)

6,205127945 (3.99)245

English (122)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (127)
Very sweet, whimsical children's book! I enjoyed reading it to my younger brothers. They usually won't sit still long enough for me to read anything to them, but they actually were asking ME to read it to them! So it was a win-win in that area! If you're looking for a good "role model" children's book, this isn't really it, but it was fun, and there certainly wasn't anything bad in it. ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
Pippi moves by herself to Sweden with just a monkey, horse, and bag full of coins. She makes two friends Anika and Tommy and ends up shocking everyone in the town. She defends herself from bandits and has a reunion with her lost father.
  aberlanga | Sep 19, 2018 |
Some of Pippi's adventures I love, some I don't, but she is such an amazing creation and so different from what was expected. ( )
  quondame | Aug 6, 2018 |
I wish i read this book as a child. Having the inagination, courage, and freedom that Pippi does makes her quite the dynamic character. I found myself bored so many summers, just as Annika & Tommy did, reading this book would have surly put that to rest. ( )
  aliholmes | Jun 10, 2018 |
I read this to my children over the course of a few nights. They were entertained, so I gave it a 1/2 star more than I would have. I don't know...I just found Pippi largely unlikeable. She lies a lot, but usually tells the truth after, she doesn't go to school, so she's naive or ignorant most of the time...she's almost a warning to children without that necessarily seeming to be the point of her. ( )
  Sean191 | Apr 23, 2018 |

Ross, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seligsohnn, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vang Nyman, IngridIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziliotto, DonatellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking.
At the end of a little Swedish town lay an old, overgrown orchard.

(translated by Edna Hurup, 1954)
This is the first book in the series about Pippi Longstocking. Please don't combine with omnibus editions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142402494, Paperback)

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers. Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble as fun, but a more generous child you won't find anywhere.

Astrid Lindgren has created a unique and lovable character, inspiring generations of children to want to be Pippi. More than anything, Pippi makes reading a pleasure; no child will welcome the end of the book, and many will return to Pippi Longstocking again and again. Simply put, Pippi is irresistible. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

Escapades of a lucky little girl who lives with a horse and a monkey--but without any parents--at the edge of a Swedish village.

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,541,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible