The Importance of Being Earnest (1895)

by Oscar Wilde

10,041165592 (4.16)1 / 351
Wilde's most popular play is considered his wittiest and finest comedy. The play's subtitle, "A Trivial Comedy for Serious People" hints at its clever wordplay, ingenious epigrams, and sly British humor. It is a story of multiple mistaken identities--both deliberate and unintentional- and what ultimately becomes a hilarious exercise in keeping everyone's name and pseudonym straight. First performed in 1895, it has enduring appeal as dramatic literature and in live theatrical performance. This edition includes an appendix with Wilde's earlier versions of the play and deleted scenes that illustrate Wilde's creative process.… (more)

English (154)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (165)
Chirp Audiobook

I loved this book as much as I loved it in college. Although the banter gets to be a little much towards the end, it left me wanting more. More Earnest, more Algernon. ( )
  whatalicesaw | Apr 26, 2022 |
To be honest I have no idea whan I read this the first time but it is one of my favorite plays and I have read it numerous times. Maybe it is time to read it again. ( )
  KyleneJones | Apr 25, 2022 |
A quick, fun read. ( )
  Arkrayder | Mar 29, 2022 |
I was worried that I would miss the physical comedy of this play with only the audio, but the actors were able to convey some of it through their voices. I did appreciate how the listening to this version really made me focus on Wilde's playing with language. ( )
  Bodagirl | Dec 10, 2021 |
ALGERNON
[...] Questo mondo mi va abbastanza bene, cuginetta.

CECILY
Sì, ma lei va bene per lui?

ALGERNON
Questo ho paura di no. [...]

Ringrazio il mio caro vecchio amico Oscar per averci lasciato questa sua ultima opera. Lo ringrazio perché, se non l'avessi iniziata e conclusa oggi, probabilmente non mi sarei divertita come ho fatto in queste poche ore.
Mi sono divertita, ho riso e sorriso come mai ho fatto con un libro; per un po' ho dimenticato la realtà, la tristezza e la malinconia quotidiane, e mi sono immersa in un mondo fatto di ipocrisia e disonestà che non avrebbe potuto essere più divertente e realistico - allo stesso tempo - di così.
Forse siamo un po' tutti Jack/John/Ernest. Siamo tutti più persone, proprio come lui è Ernest in città e Jack in campagna, senza sapere che è sempre stato Ernest; e forse siamo come Algernon, che per fare bella figura e conquistare un altro diventiamo Ernest, un Ernest che però non esiste, o che andiamo in giro dicendo che il nostro caro amico Bunbury ha bisogno di noi.
Ernest è noi, che, proprio come Ernest stesso, non sappiamo di esserlo per davvero. ( )
  wotchergiorgia | Nov 21, 2021 |

Tsao, AlexCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished.
Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LADY BRACKNELL: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
ALGERNON: Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LANE: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.
ALGERNON: I am sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately—anyone can play accurately—but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life.
ALGERNON: Good heavens! Is marriage so demoralising as that?
LANE: I believe it is a very pleasant state, sir. I have had very little experience of it myself up to the present. I have only been married once. That was in consequence of a misunderstanding between myself and a young person.
ALGERNON: Oh! it is absurd to have a hard-and-fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
JACK: I am quite aware of the fact, and I don't propose to discuss modern culture. It isn't the sort of thing one should talk of in private.
ALGERNON: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!
JACK: That wouldn't be at all a bad thing.
ALGERNON: Literary criticism is not your forte, my dear fellow. Don't try it. You should leave that to people who haven't been at a University. They do it so well in the daily papers.
Please do not combine with works that contain any work other than The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,972,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible