Lord Edgware Dies (1933)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot (9)

John Moffatt stars as the great Belgian detective in this BBC Radio full-cast dramatization. "Monsieur Poirot, somehow or other I've just got to get rid of my husband!" No sooner had she uttered the words than Lady Edgware's husband was dead, brutally stabbed in the neck. The evidence against her is overwhelming, the case cut and dried. But what was the truth behind it all? What enemies lurked in the background of the victim's life? Hercule Poirot is on the case, intrigued once more, ready to investigate murder in the library...… (more)
    Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: Both of these Christie mysteries feature an elegant dinner party - and for each of them, the number of guests and a missing one are significant.

English (59)  Spanish (4)  Danish (2)  All languages (65)
Poirot gently uncrossed his knees, withdrew his gaze from the ceiling, and looked the young man full in the face. “My name is Hercule Poirot,” he said quietly, “and I am probably the greatest detective in the world.

Christie, Agatha. The Mystery of the Blue Train: Hercule Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot series Book 6) (p. 149). William Morrow Paperbacks. Kindle Edition.

Hercule Poirot and Hastings are at it again. This time, they're dining after a night at the theatre when they're invited to talk privately with Jane Wilkinson, a famous actress. Jane has a problem in the form of her husband who refuses to divorce her and a new lover who she very much wants to marry. She tasks Hercule Poirot to fix things for her.

This had so many twists and turns I was left with whiplash. I found myself flying through the pages. I found Hastings much less annoying in this one, though I don't know if it was that Hastings was less annoying or I was just too preoccupied with the actual mystery. I didn't really like any of the other characters but they certainly had me fascinated. I loved the ending. The letter from Jane was hilarious. I kind of wanted her to actually get away with it all. Very enjoyable. 4 stars. ( )
  funstm | Dec 1, 2022 |
Hide in a plain sight ?.
Very Clever. ( )
  JforJimmy | Jul 12, 2022 |
4/8/22
  laplantelibrary | Apr 8, 2022 |
This is, with a couple of exceptions, a decent mystery. For a Christie fan, this is worth reading if you can put up with Hastings (exception one)--who is a little less obnoxious here than usual, but still very much his usual annoying self.

Exception two is the anti-Semitism and racism. I know these books have to be read in the context of the time in which they were written, but some of the throwaway remarks and assertions about Jewish characters make for highly uncomfortable reading.

If you can get through that, this can be worth reading just to see how the mystery is constructed. If you can't--well, you're not missing much. It's a decent mystery, but not Christie at her most stellar. If you're just starting out, I recommend passing this one and picking up something like "Death on the Nile" or "The Mirror Crack'd". ( )
  Jeslieness | Nov 17, 2021 |

''Lord Edgware Dies' is a Poirot novel that I had a lot of fun with. It's accomplished, clever, mischievous and seems to me to be ahead of its' time.

The plot kept me guessing (wrongly most of the time) and was very clever (well, cleverer than me anyway). It was also quite action-packed with more than one death and a slightly frenetic pace at times. About a quarter of the way through I was sure I had the whole thing figured out. I was utterly wrong of course. I found myself suddenly less critical of the hapless Hasting's than usual as I realised that Madame Christie had been leading me by the nose since the first page and I had followed along as if I were the one choosing the path.

In my defence, there was a very rich suspect pool, most of whom on only slightly more likeable than the 'got-what-he-deserved' murder victim, Lord Edgware.

The relationship between Hastings and Poirot is beautifully choreographed in this book. Hasting plays Watson to Poirot's Holmes. Poirot displayed more passion and more humour than usual. This time he was more than a gnomic aéé-will-be-revealed-in-good-time plot device. He was engaged with the people around him and even his habitual baiting of Hastings was done with what seemed like real affection.

I liked the fact that we saw Poirot in a social setting with all the soon-to-be-suspects before anyone was killed. The mission he was given before Lord Edgware's death changed his relationship to all the players and powered some of the passion that he brought to solving the case.

There was quite a lot of humour as the story went along. Small observations of the oddities of the English Class system at the time and some playfulness from Poirot who, at one point, shares a children's riddle with Hastings and then enacts it by summoning a superfluous person to the big reveal.

There were a few things about the book that felt ahead of its time or, at least, made me reconsider what I thought I knew about England in the 1930s. There was the casual acknowledgement of Lord Edgware's kinks. These were well known and while not seen as mainstream, not seen as surprising in the English aristocracy either. Then there was the one-woman-show on the West End. This has become popular again recently and I was fascinated to see that it was a way for a woman to break through as an entertained back then. The thing that seemed most ahead of its time was the depiction of the sociopathy of the killer. The final chapter is a letter from the killer to Poirot which made Hannibal Lecter seem like a wannabe. I could easily imagine it as a soliloquy to camera in the TV adaptation. It had a strong shudder factor.

I listened to the audiobook version which was delivered by Hugh Fraser with his usual flair. Click on the SoundCloud link below to hear a sample.

MikeFinnFiction | Nov 4, 2021 |

Postif, LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To Dr. and Mrs. Campbell Thompson
The memory of the public is short.
aka Thirteen at dinner

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,267,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible