Lord Edgware Dies (1933)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot (8)

Agatha Christie's famous murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Poirot had been present when Jane bragged of her plan to 'get rid of' her estranged husband. Now the monstrous man was dead. And yet the great Belgian detective couldn't help feeling that he was being taken for a ride. After all, how could Jane have stabbed Lord Edgware to death in his library at exactly the same time she was seen dining with friends? And what could be her motive now that the aristocrat had finally granted her a divorce?… (more)
    Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: Both of these Christie mysteries feature an elegant dinner party - and for each of them, the number of guests and a missing one are significant.

English (54)  Spanish (4)  Danish (2)  All languages (60)
This one was very promising to start but kind of fell flat and felt formulaic as it progressed. Poirot's reactions and methods are feeling a little predictable lately. And "Edgware" sounds like a line of hipster food storage containers to me. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Oct 1, 2021 |
I couldn't believe my level of genius. Halfway through, I actually knew, with an unsettling certainty, who the murderer was. I had a theory as to the sequence of events. And then I realized that I was predicting events in the plot and the mystery was solved (not Christie's, mine). I had read the book before -- a long, looooong time ago. So. Good book? Yes. Am I a bit slow? Yep. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Classic twist, fun listen. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
I had suspicions but still didn't figure this one out. Maybe next time ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
Once again, Christie left me guessing until the last page, and as per usual, my guesses were no where close to the actual ending. I sometimes think that I love reading Christie because I know that I will be wrong in my "deductions." Certainly, I do not use my little grey cells in a way that would make Hercule Poirot proud. Everything I had thought I knew about the plot, every little fact in the case had been turned on it's ear, and I approve. ( )
  Conni_W | Jul 7, 2021 |

Postif, LouisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To Dr. and Mrs. Campbell Thompson
The memory of the public is short.
aka Thirteen at dinner

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,127,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible