Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Everything That Rises Must Converge: Stories (1965)

by Flannery O'Connor

Collection of nine short stories by Flannery O'connor, first published posthumously in 1965. The flawed characters of each story are fully revealed in apocalyptic moments of conflict and violence that are presented with comic detachment.

Ugly little lives
content in their righteousness
karma, what a joke. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Holy crap!

Or really, I ought to say that these stories are all about crappy holier-than-thou jerkwads all coming to gloriously nasty ends. And/or despair. As desert.

I expected something of this before I read it, of course. I've heard that Flannery O'Connor is one of the masters of the short fiction and nothing I've read is telling me any else. But what can we really expect?

TONS of racism. A mountain of some of the very worst humanity has to offer handed to us in our very own PoVs. This is fifties and sixties stuff, so prepare yourself. The most grace I see in them usually comes from the really delightful ends. A death here or there. Despair is good. And often these nasty people don't even know why.

We do. Or I'd like to think we, as readers, do.

Hell, this is why I'm such a big fan of Stephen King. We get to know these jerks and then we start cheering when the bad happens to them. Glory, glory, hallelujah!

Well worth the read.
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Read 2015. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 15, 2020 |
I'd assume most Goodreads users are familiar with Flannery O'Connor's work but if you're not definitely check out this collection. O'Connor really takes no missteps, providing a host of characters who are blinded by their own delusions, typically pride, with disastrous consequences. "The Comforts of Home" is one story that brilliantly demonstrates the consequences of even small actions and the way that the violence quickly escalates doesn't feel melodramatic or forced, merely a swift judgment. This was a welcome return to one of America's best short story writers. ( )
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
Although O'Connor's stories are completely unlike Elizabeth Strout's Olive Kitteredge, I can apply the same sentiment to both: these incredibly depressing stories are somehow incredibly redemptive and uplifting.

O'Connor's redemption is a little more visceral, more overtly religious, and far less obscured by circumstance. In each story, the main character always reaches a nearly ecstatic epiphany, often at the point of death or tragedy. Nobody suffers from complicated emotional diseases in O'Connor's world; it's clear from the beginning of most stories whose heart needs rearranging, and violent means are usually required to get the job done. These stories aren't for namby-pambies. Kids die at the tip of O'Connor's pen, for the sake of someone's turning point.

Usually I don't care for stories that don't have a single likable character, but these are different. Reading Flannery O'Connor has been, for me, a little bit like cracking a code. She uses many of the same symbols (like vision and blindness), and there is a detectable pattern to her plots. But nothing is stale; each rendering of grace and awakening is fresh and moving.

My two favorites from this collection are "Greenleaf" and "The Lame Shall Enter First," but of course they're all good. ( )
1 vote rhowens | Nov 26, 2019 |

O'Connor, Flanneryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, HermioneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Collection of nine short stories. Please do not combine with the eponymous short story. Contains:
  • Everything That Rises Must Converge
  • The Lame Shall Enter First
  • Revelation
  • Judgment Day

Legacy Library: Flannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Flannery O'Connor's legacy profile.

See Flannery O'Connor's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,446,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible