Everything That Rises Must Converge by…

Everything That Rises Must Converge (1965)

by Flannery O'Connor

There are nine stories in this file, all of which take place in abandoned southern towns, in failed farms, in dysfunctional and dysfunctional families. As they were careful to enlighten me on the cover, O'Connor emphasizes in her book her Catholicism on the one hand and her opposition to racism on the other, and these motifs are so prominent in stories that they clash with the reader. There is no positive story in the book: all the older men still live with their parents; all the businesses fail, no relationship is going well. All the stories revolve around sickness and death, and most of them also end there - unless the protagonist longs to die, and then he will survive. This is not suffering that can be ignored, since O'Connor's talent for writing doesn't allow us to look away, to flutter, to move to a slightly more genuine part of the story, but to force the reader to face all the human horrors we are so good at. Children who turn to their parents, hypocrisy under the guise of generosity, adherence to old beliefs and extreme fanaticism. This cruel kindness fills the stories and directs Okanor's rigid gaze on her contemporaries and us, for although the stories take place far away, it is impossible not to see bits of it happening in our personal and public world. ( )
1 vote Johenlvinson | Mar 18, 2019 |
Wickedly concise and bone-true, these stories have given me a lot to think about. Flannery O'Connor sets up these infallible situations where awful people only get what they deserve, but usually at the expense of the good people around them. Didn't I feel just terrible laughing.

This edition had a glossy photograph of O'Connor in the opening pages and its a great shot. Its up close in her face and she has an almost nervous grin. You can see her thin hands just knitting together in front of her and, most telling of all, her eyes are shifted to the right. She knows what you're about to get into, and she wishes she could see your face.

There were more than a few characters who were sympathetic, O'Connor wrote with such clarity about their thought processes that sympathy for their positions was natural. They scheme, they gloat, they judge, they resent - they're human. Many of them bring their troubles onto themselves, some are victims of bizarre fate.

Flannery O'Connor was a huge talent. There is bleakness and cruelty in these stories, but there's humor and wisdom too. I've got a lot to think about. ( )
1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Mrs. O'Connor is an uncompromising woman. She does not like racism, doesn't like northern liberals, but mostly hates hypocrites. The last one I mentioned is to designate catastrophes and sometimes violent and terrible death, on which only enlightenment and revelation came.

The stories O'Connor wrote on her deathbed do not compromise and do not make assumptions to the innocent reader. She did not come to please anyone but to hit you with her words, sometimes the blow so hard that you remain dizzy and helpless.

All the stories in the book are good but the five stars she received from me on the story with the ironic name "comforts of the house." Her hero is not as condemned to death as most of her other heroes, but when he longs for the release of Death, she is discussing him for an even worse fate, for life. ( )
1 vote RUTHKOLOCKR | Jan 20, 2019 |
A collection of short stories about the most miserable assemblage of humanity imaginable.

I’m giving myself permission not to like Flannery O’Connor. I read some of her work in college, and later picked up this volume in a used bookstore. It took me years to get around to it, and I must admit that I found reading it a struggle. It’s so very depressing. There’s not a likable character in the book, and reading about deplorable people getting what they deserve is not exactly uplifting. Lots of people like O’Connor’s writing; I am not one of them. ( )
  foggidawn | Dec 1, 2018 |
AUDIO REVIEW. I never thought as highly of these stories as the ones in A Good Man Is Hard to Find, but listening to them was a revelation close to the one had by Mrs. Turpin. The readers are all top-notch: who knew that Bronson Pinchot had it in him? And the person who reads "A View of the Woods" and "Judgement Day," Mark Bramhalland, is perfect. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |

O'Connor, Flanneryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, HermioneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Flannery O'Connor was working on Everything That Rises Must Converge at the time of her death. This collection is an exquisite legacy from a genius of the American short story, in which she scrutinizes territory familiar to her readers: race, faith, and morality. The stories encompass the comic and the tragic, the beautiful and the grotesque; each carries her highly individual stamp and could have been written by no one else.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:03 -0400)

Nine stories of the fierceness and struggle of life among white people in the new South.

Legacy Library: Flannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Flannery O'Connor's legacy profile.

See Flannery O'Connor's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,357,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible