Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1971)

by Hunter S. Thompson

In Las Vegas to cover a motorcycle race, Raoul Duke (Thompson) and his attorney Dr. Gonzo (inspired by a friend of Thompson) are quickly diverted to search for the American dream. Their quest is fueled by nearly every drug imaginable and quickly becomes a surreal experience that blurs the line between reality and fantasy. But there is more to this hilarious tale than reckless behavior--for underneath the hallucinogenic facade is a stinging criticism of American greed and consumerism.… (more)
    Fear and Loathing in America: The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist by Hunter S. Thompson (Scrub)
    The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe (mcenroeucsb)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    The Curse of Lono by Hunter S. Thompson (gonzobrarian)
    gonzobrarian: The Curse of Lono may very well be the belated sequel to Fear and Loathing in LV; an older, more refined Thompson has savage epiphany in Hawai'i.
    Budding Prospects by T. C. Boyle (mcenroeucsb)
    Inferno by August Strindberg (andejons)
    andejons: Both are filled with madness, paranoia, and fiction that does a fine job of masquerading as biography.
    The African Safari Papers by Robert Sedlack (mcenroeucsb)
    A Good Man in Africa by William Boyd (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Amusing Rogue protagonists
    Moscow Circles by Venedikt Erofeev (ljessen)
    Ruminations from the Garden by Don Henry Ford Jr. (infiniteletters)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (MyriadBooks)

English (167)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (171)
I’ve been waiting for ten plus years to read this book and maybe the anticipation killed my enjoy, because I was definitely underwhelmed by the whole thing. I should have read this back when I was still in high school and jazzed from watching the movie. A lot of this was just ... meh? And not a lot of meaningful commentary on anything. But a lot of drugs and very poor life decisions, so if you like that, definitely read FEAR AND LOATHING. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Finished: 15/12/2020 ( )
  untraveller | Feb 16, 2021 |
Started off great, but I felt like the frantic energy petered out towards the end. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
Fuck yes. ( )
  superpeer | Feb 1, 2021 |
5 stars

Even though the subject matter of the book is quite superficial, the story and prose make up for it tenfold. For someone who has only an outsider’s perspective on drug use and wild partying (at least as wild as you can get, without a car boot full of drugs and alcohol), it was a sublime trip to walk a mile in the shoes of Raoul Duke and his attorney in the search for the real, unrefined, untamed and unrestrained American dream.

I’d recommend reading this if you like insane stories, that will still make you sweat out of anxiety and laugh at the same time, were you the one remembering said stories afterward. ( )
  Firons2 | Jan 31, 2021 |
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is a number of things, most of them elusive on first reading and illusory thereafter. A solid second act by the author of "Hell's Angels," it is an apposite gloss on the more history-laden rock lyrics ("to live outside the law you must be honest")

Hunter S. Thompsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Steadman, RalphIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." -- Dr. Johnson
To Bob Geiger, for reasons that need not be explained here -- and to Bob Dylan, for Mister Tambourine Man
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like 'I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive . . .' And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming, 'Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?'
What were we doing out here? What was the meaning of this trip? Did I actually have a big red convertible out there on the street? was I just roaming around these Mint Hotel escalators in a drug frenzy of some kind, or had I really come out here to Las Vegas to work on a story?
Celebrating the 25th anniversary
All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours, too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped to create...a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody-or at least some force-is tending the Light at the end of the tunnel.
Buy the ticket take the Ride
Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.
This is a bookmark - don't combine with the book!

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,721,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible