Pinocchio (1883)

by Carlo Collodi

7,3311311,077 (3.72)2 / 95
Pinocchio, a wooden puppet full of tricks and mischief, with a talent for getting into and out of trouble, wants more than anything else to become a real boy.

English (109)  Italian (6)  Spanish (4)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Slovak (1)  Czech (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (129)
This was not what I expected. I'm not sure what I did expect but it wasn't this. It was better than I had thought it might be though. It reads like a fable or folktale, with morals and lessons. Or maybe an echo of Candide, albeit a less traumatic tale. It was darker and funnier than the Disney version - and the whole nose growing thing and the Talking Cricket play much smaller parts than I realised. Easy enough read. ( )
  funstm | Dec 1, 2022 |
Aunque se trata de una de las historias más célebres del mundo, Las aventuras de Pinocho es al mismo tiempo una obra en gran medida desconocida. Las peripecias de un trozo de madera parlante no son aquí un cuento aleccionador ni sentimental, sino un relato profundamente subversivo sobre la infancia perdida, colmado de crueldad, magia y sátira, en el que se entreveran la picaresca, el teatro callejero y los cuentos de hadas de un modo que anticipa el surrealismo e incluso el realismo mágico.
Jack Zipes, eminente estudioso de la narrativa fantástica popular, firma la introducción que abre el presente volumen. La traducción al castellano es de Miquel Izquierdo, que dota a este clásico insoslayable de una actualidad palpitante. ( )
  serxius | Aug 26, 2022 |
I honestly didn't think I was going to like this very much. Mainly because I really like the Disney movie. However, I like this version a lot better. It has more meaning to it then the Disney movie.

To start with, if you think ths story is anything like the Disney version then move along. Yes Disney is known to making changes, but this book has too many changes; not much with the plot, but more with the characters. Geppetto is miserable, the "cricket" dies the first chapter he is mentioned, the Blue Fairy is a character who dies more then once, an there is no big whale, but instead there is a shark. The biggest change is Pinocchio. In the book he is selfish, bratty, winy, dimwitted, and likes getting into trouble.

Fans of Fables I recommend actually reading the original book. You'll see were Bill Willingham got his idea more from this then Disney. To me at least, it makes a lot more sense why Geppetto in the comic cold and evil, why Pinocchio is stuck as a boy with a mouth, why the Blue Fairy is kind of a bitch to them, and why there is no cricket.

I still like the Disney movie in it's own write, but they did take a lot of libraries making it there own movie. Yet I really liked this story better. It basically tells you to makes something of your life instead of just not doing anything. Now I wouldn't give this book to a kid today unless they get what's going on, but as an adult I liked it.

Would love to see a movie made of the actual book and doesn't cut out the parts you never hear about like the lynching scene (which is were we first meet the Blue Fairy to bring Pinocchio back to life). Like I said kids today might not like it or get what's going on, but people like me who love fairy tales appreciate the original stuff. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
The only encounter I had ever had with Pinocchio was with the Walt Disney version that was a favorite of childhood. I found this original story on which that one was based to be a more jarring, less cohesive, and less interesting version altogether. While the movie tended to make you feel a sweet tenderness for Gepetto, a concern for the dangers into which Pinocchio’s errant ways might lead him, and a sense of Jiminy Cricket as Pinocchio’s conscience that will lead him to the right path if he will but listen, all those elements seemed to be missing from the children’s book itself.

The lesson? If you are a boy and you do not obey your parents, go to school, avoid bad companions and listen to your better urges, you will end up in trouble. But, then again, if you have a big heart and at your depths you care for those parents and regret your faults (like killing the cricket for goodness sake!), you will end up fine and get your reward.
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Like with most tales that Disney adapts for movies, the book had only a passing resemblance to the story. In common fairy tale tradition, it was entertainingly violent (Pinocchio bites off an enemy's hand at one point.) An entertaining read. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
What del Toro, who has spoken of a lifelong fascination with Pinocchio, doubtless recognizes, and what Garrone as a cultured Italian would not need to be told, is that the original story is a work of considerable complexity, comparable to “Alice in Wonderland” or “Gulliver’s Travels” and much darker than Disney’s cheery fable about the price of youthful mendacity.... The moral of the story, then, is not that children should always tell the truth, but that education is paramount, enabling both liberation from a life of brutal toil, and, more important, self-awareness and a sense of duty to others. The true message of “The Adventures” is that, until you open yourself to knowledge and your fellow human beings, you will remain a puppet forever — other people will continue to pull your strings. And what, in these increasingly authoritarian times, could be more ardently relevant than that?

Collodi, CarloAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Once upon a time there was...

'A King!' my young readers will instantly exclaim.

No, children, that's where you are wrong. Once upon a time there was a piece of wood.
There once was a piece of wood, lying in the carpenter shop of Master Antonio. Master Antonio decided to make a table leg out of the wood, but to his surprise, when he struck it, the wood cried out. (The Adventures of Pinocchio 2003, illustrated by: Greg Hildebrandt)

Pinocchio the wooden puppet wants to be a real boy, but he has a lot to learn a lot about himself before the Blue Fairy will grant his wish.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carlo Collodi's book Pinocchio was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014036708X, 0142437069, 014133164X

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590172892, 1590175883

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

The New York Review Children's Collection

An edition of this book was published by The New York Review Children's Collection.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101085, 1400108853

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190943843X, 1909438448

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,423,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible