Pinocchio (1883)

by Carlo Collodi

6,5721161,124 (3.71)1 / 92
Pinocchio, a wooden puppet full of tricks and mischief, with a talent for getting into and out of trouble, wants more than anything else to become a real boy.

English (99)  Italian (6)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (117)
Hmm, I was pretty sure that I had multiple versions of Pinocchio in my collection but when I just did a search, I only found this version. I suspect that I have other (probably abbreviated versions) in anthologies of other books. (Also, my son probably has versions in his own collection , which I've read to him). But this version is really superb. I'm familiar with the Walt Disney version with Jimminy Cricket but the cricket in this version is not quite so "upbeat" as the Walt Disney version. In fact Pinocchio kills him in the opening scenes and he comes back as a ghost figure. So the story is beautifully told and full of moral messages for young boys ready to run off the rails. But it was really the illustrations that attracted me to it in the first place and they are wonderful. I don't know if it was coincidental but the book was alongside "The Bremen Town Musicians" , illustrated by Lizbeth Zwerger .....one of my favourite illustrators and there is a similarity of styles. So similar that I think there must be some influence. (Though I think Lizbeth has also been influenced by some of the classical illustrators such as Arthur Rackham and Edmund Dulac). Anyway, I love their work....all of these illustrators and I've often pondered why that is. Why do I like their style of semi realistic but often with radically distorted perspectives and old fashioned costumes. I guess it's because I was exposed to some of these as a child when my mother would read to us from a huge book of Hans Anderson and Grimm's fairy tales.....though I've just checked and this book was illustrated by Anne Anderson. But I was certainly exposed to the illustrations of Dulac and Rackham very early in life.....probably from a book owned by my sister. Anyway, I think this is probably why I like this type of illustration so much. I tried asking my children what sort of illustrations they preferred ...but really got nowhere. With them, I think it was a combination of the story plus the illustration ..and they certainly had masses more books than I had as a child. So I tended to study the few illustrations avidly to suck the maximum detail from them ...whereas, my children probably had an overload of visual materials....including TV and videos.
Anyway, this is a lovely book. The version of the story is great...nicely translated from the Italian and the illustrations are beautiful. I give it five stars. ( )
  booktsunami | Oct 16, 2021 |
i want to SCREAM ( )
  rosscharles | May 19, 2021 |
What a horrible little puppet/boy Pinocchio is! Having seen a variety of film and book treatments of the story I knew what to expect, but the full novel gives us the added perspective of Pinocchio himself. Pinocchio shows us the thought process behind a young child's precocious decisions, while taking us on a whirlwind adventure. Thankfully most children learn faster than Pinocchio - or have a firmer guiding hand - so that they never stray quite as far as him.

This edition also comes chalk full of illustrations by Gris Grimly - one of my favourite artists. Grimly's talent is largely in his line work and this style is perfectly suited to depicting Pinocchio's wood-grain demeanor and the multitude of strange characters whom he meets on his journey. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
What del Toro, who has spoken of a lifelong fascination with Pinocchio, doubtless recognizes, and what Garrone as a cultured Italian would not need to be told, is that the original story is a work of considerable complexity, comparable to “Alice in Wonderland” or “Gulliver’s Travels” and much darker than Disney’s cheery fable about the price of youthful mendacity.... The moral of the story, then, is not that children should always tell the truth, but that education is paramount, enabling both liberation from a life of brutal toil, and, more important, self-awareness and a sense of duty to others. The true message of “The Adventures” is that, until you open yourself to knowledge and your fellow human beings, you will remain a puppet forever — other people will continue to pull your strings. And what, in these increasingly authoritarian times, could be more ardently relevant than that?

Collodi, Carloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tassinari, G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tempesti, FernandoIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, RebeccaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zipes, JackIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was...

'A King!' my young readers will instantly exclaim.

No, children, that's where you are wrong. Once upon a time there was a piece of wood.
There once was a piece of wood, lying in the carpenter shop of Master Antonio. Master Antonio decided to make a table leg out of the wood, but to his surprise, when he struck it, the wood cried out. (The Adventures of Pinocchio 2003, illustrated by: Greg Hildebrandt)

Pinocchio the wooden puppet wants to be a real boy, but he has a lot to learn a lot about himself before the Blue Fairy will grant his wish.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carlo Collodi's book Pinocchio was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014036708X, 0142437069, 014133164X

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590172892, 1590175883

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

The New York Review Children's Collection

An edition of this book was published by The New York Review Children's Collection.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101085, 1400108853

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190943843X, 1909438448

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,338,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible