Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser

Sister Carrie (1900)

by Theodore Dreiser

I listened to this on audio, and I have to admit, the first few hours were pretty brutal. I listened to the first three hours while taking a long walk and nearly cried from the boredom (it wasn't all the audiobook's fault, though; I'd picked a particularly blah section of suburban sidewalk along which to amble). But as I stuck with the novel (at 1.5x) it grew on me. Dreiser brought things together in a satisfying way towards the end, allowing Carrie to grow and change throughout the novel and dealing with his characters with compassion even when it was clear that he didn't approve of their actions.

I kept forgetting that this novel was written before the stock market crash of 1929, before both world wars, even before the Triangle Shirtwaist fire. I need to look back at this time in U.S. history for more context.

I'm definitely getting this one in print so I can read more deeply---and underline. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jan 5, 2019 |
Satisfying read by the time I got stuck into it. But the initial impression is odd. Though it was greeted at the time as rampantly realistic and steamily sexual , times have changed so much it now seems a bit of a eunuch. Characters meet and eye each other up and even end up living together but physical expression is never more than a chaste hug or kiss. so the impression is a bit like The Young Visiters; adult puppets without real motives. The characters are indeed at the whim of random events and driven by shallow desires, mainly materialistic, so by the end we get a sense of a society at the mercy of greed for fripperies and empty status. Other oddities: the title "Sister Carrie" makes it sound like she's a nun or a nurse; she's quite the reverse, a slightly loose woman with no inner life. Her name is what her family called her, but she has no contact or mention of the family at all once she leaves home early in the story. Another: the bar/club which the main male manages includes an extraordinarily wide range of classes. Could travelling salesmen and smalltimers frequent the same locales as politicians, leading actors and celebrities (yes, the word is used!)?
All moves a bit slowly and there's more philosophic-moralising than I can use - and that's after advisers cut a lot out! - but there is a sense of a story, people rise and fall in ways that are credible but not obvious. Though none are sympathetic or likeable, there's a certain momentum in the story. ( )
  vguy | Oct 16, 2018 |
Definitely one of my favorite books; it was incredibly hard to put down once you get past the initial chapters. You find yourself loving and hating the characters all at the same time. Dreiser does not sugar coat anything in this novel. I feel that this book is one that everyone should read. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
I had to work to get through this book. I'm not a big fan of Theodore Dreiser's work. I understood his point and there were a few instances where he was quite eloquent, but overall, it took an unnecessarily long time to get there. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Jul 30, 2018 |
Sister Carrie offers insights into the lives of working men and women in late 1800s Chicago and New York City.

Unfortunately, it becomes a painfully dreary story, relived only by a streetcar strike and The Captain sponsoring rooms for
poor men for 12 cents a night. Throughout, the main character, Carrie, remains tiresome, boring, superficial and self-centered. ( )
  m.belljackson | Feb 11, 2018 |
I believe the novel Sister Carrie helps to describe the life of young girls in the turn of the century. The confusion of what to do, who to be with, who to trust.. running into problems, this story touches bases with all of these.
added by newfieldreads | editSister Carrie, Josie (Mar 19, 2010)

The novel Sister Carrie was a great book to read if your into sneaky ways and like reading about Drama. The book shows how you shouldnt always base your opinions on what you see because that may lead you in the way of false pretences. Over all I enjoyed reading the book and it also gave me an outlook on how the 1900's really is not that different from the present time we live in. The novel teaches you inner morals to go with what your heart desires Carrie made her life the way she dreamed by following what she knew and working hard for it.
added by newfieldreads | editSister Carrie, Samantha (Mar 19, 2010)

Dreiser, Theodoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leibowitz, HerbertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Price, RoyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorp, WillardAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Caroline Meeber boarded the afternoon train for Chicago, her total outfit consisted of a small trunk, a cheap imitation alligator-skin satchel, a small lunch in a paper box, and a yellow leather snap purse, containing her ticket, a scrap of paper with her sister's address in Van Buren Street, and four dollars in money.
Sister Carrie has been published in two forms: all editions between 1900 and 1981 were based on a version somewhat abridged by Dreiser and his editors. In 1981, the Pennsylvania edition based on the original manuscript from the NYPL was published.

Work #36059 is for the standard version. Do not combine it with the unexpurgated editions (Penguin Unexpurgated, Pennsylvania Edition, or NYPL Collectors Edition) or with the Norton Critical Edition (also contains the unexpurgated material as well as several background and critical writings).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527607, Mass Market Paperback)

Sister Carrie, Theodore Dreiser's revolutionary first novel, was published in 1900--sort of. The story of Carrie Meeber, an 18-year-old country girl who moves to Chicago and becomes a kept woman, was strong stuff at the turn of the century, and what Dreiser's wary publisher released was a highly expurgated version. Times change, and we now have a restored "author's cut" of Sister Carrie that shows how truly ahead of his time Dreiser was. First and foremost, he has written an astute, nonmoralizing account of a woman and her limited options in late-19th-century America. That's impressive in and of itself, but Dreiser doesn't stop there. Digging deeply into the psychological underpinnings of his characters, he gives us people who are often strangers to themselves, drifting numbly until fate pushes them on a path they can later neither defend nor even remember choosing.

Dreiser's story unfolds in the measured cadences of an earlier era. This sometimes works brilliantly as we follow the choices, small and large, that lead some characters to doom and others to glory. On the other hand, the middle chapters--of which there are many--do drag somewhat, even when one appreciates Dreiser's intentions. If you can make it through the sagging midsection, however, you'll be rewarded by Sister Carrie's last 150 pages, which depict the harrowing downward spiral of one of the book's central characters. Here Dreiser portrays with brutal power how the wrong decision--or lack of decision--can lay waste to a life. --Rebecca Gleason

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:34 -0400)

From the day of its troubled publication in 1900 to its inclusion in Modern Library's list of Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century, "Sister Carrie" has been a source of controversy and debate. Regarded as the "first masterpiece of the American naturalist movement," this 100th Anniversary Edition of the classic includes material by the author and a new introduction by the definitive Dreiser biographer.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102707, 1400109051

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,658,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible