All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking

by Molly Stevens

The art of braising comes down to us from the earliest days of cooking, when ingredients were enclosed in a heavy pot and buried in the hot embers of a dying fire until tender and bathed in a deliciously concentrated sauce. Today, braising remains as popular and as uncomplicated as ever. Molly Stevens's All About Braising is a comprehensive guide to this versatile way of cooking, written to instruct a cook at any level. Everything you need to know is here, including:a thorough explanation of the principles of good braising with helpful advice on the best cuts of meat, the right choice of fish and vegetables, and the right pots,125 reliable, easy-to-follow recipes for meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables, ranging from quick-braised weeknight dishes to slow-cooked weekend braises,planning tips to highlight the fact that braised foods taste just as good, if not even better, as leftovers,a variety of enlightened wine suggestions for any size pocketbook with each recipe.… (more)

Molly Stevens writes as well as she cooks and this beautiful book is a pleasure to use. Be sure to try the Vietnamese Braised Scallops, Braised Cauliflower with Capers, Short Ribs Braised in Ale with Maple Rosemary Glaze, and Soy-Braised Chicken Thighs with Star Anise and Orange Peel. Those are some of our current favorites. You might be able to pick up this book, used, at Amazon; I've had very good luck getting books from them. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
This is one of my absolute favorite cookbooks, especially in the colder months when all you want is to have something hot simmering on the stove or in the oven. Braises just scream "comfort food" to me, and almost every culture has braised dishes in their cuisine. There's great international representation here - Chinese red-cooked pork belly, French coq au vin, Vietnamese braised scallops, Italian ragus, Moroccan tagines, German sauerbraten, Mexican bisteces rancheros, Hungarian cabbage rolls, American pot roast... the list just goes on.

I've made a number of recipes from this book and so far everything has been fantastic. I won't be satisfied, though, until I cook everything in it. Here's a list of what I've tried:

Escarole Braised with Cannellini Beans (p. 53) - 4 stars - this was a great simple side dish, and the red pepper flakes add a nice kick.

Creamy Braised Brussels Sprouts (p.65) - 5 stars - I love brussels sprouts, and adding cream just makes anything better. This was really quick too.

Braised Leeks with Bacon & Thyme (p. 86) - 5 stars - Soooo good. I had hoped to have some leftovers to make the tart variation on the next page, but we ate them all. Next time I'll have to make a quadruple recipe, seriously.

Braised Halibut Steaks with Creamy Leeks (p. 99) - 4.5 stars - I made this with salmon steaks instead of halibut, but it was still great. Very rich, though.

Short Ribs Braised in Porter Ale with Maple-Rosemary Glaze (p. 247) - 5 stars - Perfect balance between sweet and savory, and the meat just fell off the bone.

Braised Pork Chops & Creamy Cabbage (p. 339) - 4 stars - The first thing I ever made from this book! Quite heavy, but really good.

There are dozens more recipes in here I'm dying to try, so I'll do my best to keep this review updated. ( )
  agirlnamedfury | Mar 30, 2013 |
highly recommended! ( )
1 vote jmilder | Aug 19, 2008 |
Fantastic cookbook! ( )
  Pool_Boy | Jan 28, 2008 |
Everyone should have this book. This is back to basics, delicious, beautiful, hearty, righteous cooking. Simple and so freakin' good. Cook big and then enjoy the leftovers. Proper. ( )
1 vote VenusofUrbino | Dec 11, 2007 |

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,909,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible