Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers

Whose Body? (1925)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Series: Lord Peter Wimsey (1)

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Lord Peter Wimsey and Bertie Wooster are rather similar characters, and they both have loyal and competent valets. Peter, of course, solves mysteries, while Bertie is more of a comic figure.
    A Test of Wills by Charles Todd (majkia)
    majkia: similar focus on shellshock.
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (cbl_tn)

English (121)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (126)
This book was confusing and wordy. It felt like things were just thrown in to maybe show Lord Peter's wandering mind? I don't know but it was hard to follow. Even after the confession, I still don't get the whole Peruvian oil aspect of the case.

I knew almost from the beginning who the killer was and that someone had impersonated Levy the night he disappeared. I did not, however, understand how the crime was committed until the conclusion of the book, so that at least remained somewhat of a mystery.

I didn't think there was much detecting, rather Lord Peter just had a miraculous epiphany and he suddenly knew what happened.

The best part of the book for me was the relationship between Lord Peter and Bunter. I loved their easygoingness even though they are master and servant (although you do find out they served together which would create a different dynamic). I just loved the humorous way they spoke to one another! It was so funny and charming.
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
Whose Body is the first of Dorothy Sayers’ Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries. The book is shorter than later novels in the series, but it stands the test of time well, told with beautifully English voice, combining good manners and bad deeds in a truly enticing blend, and introducing a great protagonist. Lord Peter proves he loves books, reveals his wounded WWI psyche, and retires to his country home… but first there’s a body to be buried and a name to be given. There’s satisfaction in following the arguments, guessing their resolutions, and seeing the pleasing interactions whereby the truth will be revealed. Great characters, great time and place, and the promise of much much more to come.
Disclosure: As a treat, I’ve decided to read all the Lord Peter Wimsey novels in order, so this is where I start, and I’m enjoying the ride. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jul 20, 2018 |
naked body with only pince eres found in bath tub, Lord Peter Wimsey series ( )
  margaretfield | May 30, 2018 |
Why haven't I read Sayers before? This is so good!!! ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
In his first novel, Lord Peter Wimsey is called on to solve the mystery of a corpse found in the bathtub of a middle-class couple's apartment. The man was a stranger to the homeowners. The police are also investigating the disappearance of financier Sir Reuben Levy. If the man in the bath was Sir Reuben, that would tie both cases together. Wimsey can see that it's not going to be that easy...

This is one of the classics from the Golden Age of mystery. The plot and solution are clever, but it relies too much on the confession/disclosure of the murderer. It's been years since I read any of the Wimsey novels, and I had either forgotten or overlooked the first time around that Wimsey suffered from post-traumatic stress from his World War I service. ( )
  cbl_tn | Apr 16, 2018 |

May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal,MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, EdwardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To M. J. Dear Jim: This book is your fault. If it had not been for your brutal insistence, Lord Peter would never have staggered through to the end of the enquiry. Pray consider that he thanks you with his accustomed suavity. Yours ever, D. L. S.
'Oh damn!' said Lord Peter Wimsey at Piccadilly Circus.
"Look here, Peter," said the other [Parker] with some earnestness, "Suppose you get this playing-fields-of-Eton complex out of your system once and for all. There doesn't seem to be much doubt that something unpleasant has happened to Sir Reuben Levy. Call it murder, to strengthen the argument. If Sir Reuben has been murdered, is it a game? and is it fair to treat it as a game?"
"That is what I'm ashamed of, really," said Lord Peter. "It IS a game to me, to begin with, and I go on cheerfully, and then I suddenly see that somebody is going to be hurt, and I want to get out of it." (Chapter VII, Leipzig: The Albatross 1938, p. 176)

Lord Peter's erster Fall: Der biedere Mr. Thipps, dem man sicher kein Unrecht tut, wenn man ihn einen Spießer nennt, überrascht eines unschönen Morgens in seiner Badewanne einen sehr toten und sehr unbekleideten Mann. Mr. Thipps beteuert, mit der Sache nicht das geringste zu tun zu haben. Doch hat man nicht schon oft in stillen Wassern Abgründiges entdeckt.

Cover description (1938): This is a Lord Peter Wimsey story. Need we say more? For Lord Peter Wimsey is one of the most attractive detectives of fiction. Nor is it necessary to say (since Dorothy L. Sayers is the author) that while you will enjoy this book as a detective story, you will enjoy it equally for its delightful touches of humour, its clever characterization and attractive style.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043575, Mass Market Paperback)

The stark naked body was lying in the tub.Not unusual for a proper bath, but highly irregular for murder -- especially witha pair of gold pince-nez deliberately perched before the sightless eyes. What's more, the face appeared to have been shaved after death. The police assumed that the victim was a prominent financier, but Lord Peter Wimsey, who dabbled in mystery detection as a hobby, knew better. In this, his first murder case, Lord Peter untangles the ghastly mystery of the corpse in the bath.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:36 -0400)

Lord Peter Wimsey encounters his first murder case when the body of a prominent financier is discovered in a bathtub, and Wimsey finds clues in the body's post-murder facial shave and a pair of gold pince-nez.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101646, 1400111307

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,066,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible