The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (1926)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot (4)

A widow's sudden suicide sparks rumors that she murdered her first husband, was being blackmailed, and was carrying on a secrey affair with the wealthy Roger Ackroyd. The following evening, Ackroyd is murdered in his locked study, but not before receiving a letter identifying the widow's blackmailer. Kings Abbot is crawling with suspects and it's up to famous detective, Hercule Poirot, to solve the case.… (more)
    And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Two of Christie's best plot twists
    Endless Night by Agatha Christie (Anonymous user)
    Who Killed Roger Ackroyd? by Pierre Bayard (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Caution! Instant spoilers for Christie's novel; strictly for pursuing afterwards.
    Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers (cbl_tn)
    Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk (CGlanovsky)
My TBR (31)

English (237)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (251)
I had never read an Agatha Christie novel, and the recent film adaptations got me interested in picking one up. I searched around a bit, and this was listed as one of the best Poirot novels. I can see why. There's a classic Whodunit scenario where an English gentleman is murdered in his parlor and a long list of suspects are presented. All of them have some possible motive, including the butler, and secrets to hide, so it is up to the reader and the detective to suss out exactly who committed the crime, how, and why.

I really enjoyed this book, even though regardless of the mounting evidence I didn't figure the murder out at all and needed Poirot to explain who did what and why.
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
The colonel's story was one of interminable length, and of curiously little interest. A thing that happened in India many years ago cannot compare for a moment with an even that took place in King's Abbot the day before yesterday.

Unfortunately, I did guess the truth, but only because of the buzz around this book. (I am abysmally bad at detective stories and generally don't even bother trying to figure out whodunit as I never get it right.) I didn't read anything spoilerific; there are just only so many ways an author can go. So I am going to say nothing in praise, nothing about the book. Only that this is accounted by many as Agatha Christie's greatest mystery, and, if you haven't yet, you should go and read it without reading another word about it so you don't start guessing. I enjoyed it immensely even having guessed (few understand that the heart is desperately wicked as well as the Grand Dame of Mystery), and I suspect it would have been a five star read had I not guessed. It's a short read and will only take you an afternoon. Go. Read. Now.

If you like this one, you will probably also like [b:Murder on the Orient Express|16304|Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)|Agatha Christie|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388267702s/16304.jpg|2285570] and [b:Murder on the Nile|658292|Murder on the Nile (stage play)|Agatha Christie|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328014190s/658292.jpg|25260045], which are my two other favorite mysteries by this author. ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
I remembered the twist of this one near the beginning, which was a little disappointing because then I kept trying to see if Christie was cheating. I don't think she did. It was enjoyable anyway but it's definitely a book that's better if you go into it fresh. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
I don’t believe I had read this book before, and I don’t claim to be one of those that discover “who did it” right away, but in this book I did know. Maybe it is the claim of best example of unreliable narrator that gave me the hint. Anyway, I loved it. Figuring it out who the murder was didn’t diminish my interest on the story. It is escapism at the rightest level, but with smart twists and lovely setting. It reminds me of why I love books, just to step out and be absorbed into some tale. ( )
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie is a 1926 publication.

A magnificent mystery classic!

Poirot is enjoying his retirement in King’s Abbot, when he is approached to help investigate the murder of Roger Ackroyd. Due to his retirement, Poirot no longer has Hastings at his side, but his neighbor Dr. James Sheppard, seamlessly steps into the sidekick role.

Although, Poirot is ‘retired’ his little grey cells are still in fine working order. In fact, our Belgian detective is at the top of his game here as he coaxes secrets, big and small from his list of suspects. I was only mildly disappointed to have surmised the culprit, and the probable motive early on, because I so enjoyed watching Poirot work through all the little details of his observations and laying a masterful trap for our murderer.

This is only the third full length novel in this series, and for its time it was brilliant! A very clever plot, woven beautifully, and skillfully.

Overall, I am one again quite impressed with Christie’s genius and cunning! I’d say this novel solidified Poirot’s popularity and hints at the even greater mysteries he would become famous for solving in the years to come.

4 stars ( )

Vuerhard, L.M.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zakrzewski, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a commentary on the text

Alibi ( [1931]IMDb)
To Punkie, who likes an orthodox detective story, murder, inquest, and suspicion falling on everyone in turn!
Mrs Ferrars died on the night of the 16th-17th September—a Thursday.
Never worry about what you say to a man. They're so conceited that they never believe you mean it if it's unflattering.
This is the main work for The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. Please note that the German title is Alibi.

Belgian Inspector Hercule Poirot has retired to the countryside in the small English village of King's Abbot. Dr. Sheppard, observing his new neighbor, is sure that he must be a former hairdresser. But the brutal murder of a local squire reveals the truth: the peculiar little man is actually a detective par excellence. The Murder of the wealthy industrialist Roger Ackroyd begins the night before with the suicide of Mrs. Ferrars, a wealthy widow. Her death is believed to be an accident, until Roger Ackroyd is stabbed to death in his locked study. There are rumors she poisoned her first husband, rumors that she was being blackmailed, rumors that her secret lover was Roger Ackroyd, a man who knew too much, but no one is sure.

There's no shortage of suspects, all the members of the household stand to gain from his death, from Roger's neurotic sister-in-law who has accumulated personal debts, to a parlormaid with an uncertain history who resigned her post the afternoon of the murder. But the police focus on Ralph Paton, Ackroyd's stepson and heir, and the person with the most to gain from Roger's death. When sleuth Hercule Poirot, who is living quietly in King's Abbot, agrees to investigate, the case takes a completely different turn. Poirot exonerates all of the original suspects, and lays out a completely reasoned case that the clever and devious murderer is someone who had not come under suspicion at all - someone whose motive has nothing to do with money.
Murder most cunning
All matter of perspective
Little gray cells win
(hardboiled)
Retirement doesn't
have to be dull, Poirot finds.
Exercise the mind!
(passion4reading)
Suicide, blackmail,
murder – Hercule Poirot solves
a puzzling case.
(passion4reading)
Stabbed with a knife,

many suspects to question.

M. Poirot solves it.

(DarrylLundy)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,051,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible