Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian…

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West (1970)

by Dee Brown

English (81)  Dutch (1)  All languages (82)
Just shows what happens when you have an unrestricted immigration policy; thieves, murders, and rapists move in. Pretty soon you've got nothing left of what was once a well balanced society. The native Americans were not a homogeneous society, but it worked and people survived just like in the old world. The Europeans came, stole the life out from under the indigenous people and left them almost extinct, and called it progress. Saved the savages from themselves. Makes you proud to be, well human, but sapient; not so much. The book makes it clear before try to create a better world we must understand what it is we are trying to improve. Are we really offering something better or just looking for more for ourselves. ( )
  thosgpetri | Feb 24, 2019 |
This is a very long, depressing book. It is a very detailed account of a long series of encounters with Native Americans and the formal Government of the United States of America. It is a list of shameful, violent, hateful, ignorant and arrogant impositions of one people upon several groups of other people. The events memorialized for history are the epitome, or definition of, injustice. Our history is replete with such vile and senseless denial of what the declaration of independence and the constitution espouse. Indeed, wondering out loud, how different from the Jews' treatment by the Nazis? Our current treatment of Iran? North Korea? The refusal to even consider the perspective of other people and what we have done to instill that is the root of the worst horrors wrought by human against human. Can we try to live with a respect and atonement for our own history/action?
Maps would have been very helpful in this book. They were sorely missed. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Unflinching account of the consistent double dealing, betrayal and brutality in the treatment of American Indians by the U.S. government and by white Americans in the second half of the 19th century. Deeply deeply sad but important book. ( )
  Matt_B | Dec 26, 2018 |
Just when you think you've read the worst mankind can do, the next chapter starts. A strikingly brutal and depressing account of the life of native Americans. Not for the faint of heart. ( )
  VinceLaFratta | Sep 25, 2018 |
  VinceLa | Sep 23, 2018 |

Brown, Deeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knipscheer, JosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sides, HamptonForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shall not be there. I shall rise and pass.

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

- (Stephen Vincent Benét)
Ik zal daar niet zijn. Ik zal mij oprichten en heengaan. Begraaf mijn hart bij de bocht van de rivier. (Stephen Vincent Benet)
For Nicolas Brave Wolf
It began with Christopher Columbus, who gave the people the name Indios.
Americans who have always looked westward when reading about this period should read this book facing eastward.
Now they were all good Indians.
There is also an adaptation of this book "for young people" by Amy Erhlich with the same title and Dee's name listed as author. ISBNs for the adaptation have been identified as 0006713416, 0030915597, 0440957680, 0606029982, 0701122366, 0785712712, 0805027009, 9780006713418, 9780030915598, 9780440957683, 9780606029988, 9780701122362, 9780785712718, 9780805027006. Please do not combine the adaptation with the original full-length book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805066691, Paperback)

First published in 1970, this extraordinary book changed the way Americans think about the original inhabitants of their country. Beginning with the Long Walk of the Navajos in 1860 and ending 30 years later with the massacre of Sioux men, women, and children at Wounded Knee in South Dakota, it tells how the American Indians lost their land and lives to a dynamically expanding white society. During these three decades, America's population doubled from 31 million to 62 million. Again and again, promises made to the Indians fell victim to the ruthlessness and greed of settlers pushing westward to make new lives. The Indians were herded off their ancestral lands into ever-shrinking reservations, and were starved and killed if they resisted. It is a truism that "history is written by the victors"; for the first time, this book described the opening of the West from the Indians' viewpoint. Accustomed to stereotypes of Indians as red savages, white Americans were shocked to read the reasoned eloquence of Indian leaders and learn of the bravery with which they and their peoples endured suffering. With meticulous research and in measured language overlaying brutal narrative, Dee Brown focused attention on a national disgrace. Still controversial but with many of its premises now accepted, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee has sold 5 million copies around the world. Thirty years after it first broke onto the national conscience, it has lost none of its importance or emotional impact. --John Stevenson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is Dee Brown's eloquent, fully documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century. A national bestseller in hardcover for more than a year after its initial publication, it has sold almost four million copies and has been translated into seventeen languages. For this elegant thirtieth anniversary hardcover edition, Brown has contributed an incisive new preface. Using council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions, Brown allows the great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne, and other tribes to tell us in their own words of the battles, massacres, and broken treaties that finally left them demoralized and defeated. A unique and disturbing narrative told with force and clarity, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee changed forever our vision of how the West was really won.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,235,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible