Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (1970)

by Dee Brown

Dee Brown's eloquent, meticulously documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century uses council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions. Brown allows great chiefs and warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne, and other tribes to tell us in their own words of the battles, massacres, and broken treaties that finally left them demoralized and defeated ...… (more)
    I Will Fight No More Forever: Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War by Merrill D. Beal (myshelves)
    Our Hearts Fell to the Ground: Plains Indian Views of How the West Was Lost by Colin G. Calloway (eromsted)
    eromsted: Historical documents with academic introduction
    The Earth Is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens (Cecrow)
    Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto by Jr. Vine Deloria (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are excellent overviews of US policy towards Native Americans.
    The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America by Thomas King (Cecrow)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A different perspective on the tragedy of the American West.
    Massacres in the jungle : Ixcán, Guatemala, 1975-1982 by Ricardo Falla-Sánchez (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: This book documents the systematic massacre of indigenous people in Guatemala in the more recent past.
    A Century of Dishonor by Helen Hunt Jackson (John_Vaughan)
    Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell (John_Vaughan)
    Touch the Earth: A Self Portrait of Indian Existence by T. C. McLuhan (dypaloh)
    dypaloh: An oral history expressing what was lost to North America’s first peoples after dispossession from their lands and cultures. The voices are sometimes despondent but most always eloquent.
    A long and terrible shadow : white values, native rights in the Americas, 1492-1992 by Thomas R. Berger (caballer)
    Black Hills/White Justice: The Sioux Nation Versus the United States : 1775 to the Present by Edward Lazarus (dkohler52)
    Custer by Larry McMurtry (Artymedon)
    Artymedon: Black Elk was at Wounded Knee and reenacted Little Big Horn in Buffalo Bill's show.

English (99)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (101)
Eye opening, thought provoking, life changing, painful book with more information than can be absorbed in multiple readings. ( )
  Sr_Abels | Sep 12, 2021 |
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
Review: This book was fantastically written. I’m really glad I listened to this as an audiobook, because I don’t think I would have gotten through it as a physical book. (Although I definitely want a copy of the physical book now.) Dee Brown focuses a lot on the battles and skirmishes between the Americans and American Indians that took place in the latter half of the nineteenth century, which is a great way to go about it. Personally, I’m not a huge military history buff, but I definitely think that it was the right choice for the book. We often tend to focus on the white American view of many of these battles instead of the American Indian view, which is precisely what Dee Brown gives in this book. And it’s the view we need to hear to this day. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
Can’t say I have much pride in my country left. But a very well written book with important information to know. ( )
  anthrosercher | Jul 11, 2021 |
Remains powerful and yet its concerns remain unattended, unresolved these many years after written the republished ( )
  grimmerlaw | Jul 11, 2021 |
Absolutely fantastic book. Very educational and hard to read at times because of the terrible things the white men did to the Indians. Need to read again some time and use a map to locate all the places detailed in the book. ( )
  lexiej | Jun 27, 2021 |

Dee Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Degner, HelmutTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knipscheer, JosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sides, HamptonForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shall not be there. I shall rise and pass.

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

- (Stephen Vincent Benét)
Ik zal daar niet zijn. Ik zal mij oprichten en heengaan. Begraaf mijn hart bij de bocht van de rivier. (Stephen Vincent Benet)
For Nicolas Brave Wolf
It began with Christopher Columbus, who gave the people the name Indios.
Americans who have always looked westward when reading about this period should read this book facing eastward.
Now they were all good Indians.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,259,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible