Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

J. S. Mill: 'On Liberty' and Other Writings (Cambridge Texts in the…

by John Stuart Mill

On Liberty has become celebrated as the most powerful defence of the freedom of the individual, and is now widely regarded as the most important theoretical foundation for Liberalism as a political creed. The Subjection of Women is a powerful indictment of the political, social, and economic position of women. This edition, first published in 1989, brings together these two classic texts, plus Mill's posthumous Chapters on Socialism, his somewhat neglected examination of the strengths and weaknesses of various forms of socialism. The editor's substantial introduction places these three works in the context both of Mill's life and of nineteenth-century intellectual and political history. There is also a chronology of Mill's life, a bibliographical guide, and a biographical appendix of names cited in the texts.… (more)

OberlinSWAP | Aug 1, 2015 |
This is Librivox Audiobook Edition which is free as l need to expose myself to as much Philosophy and Philosophers as possible.
  wonderperson | Mar 31, 2013 |
An essential read.
  GYKM | Feb 5, 2011 |
John Stuart Mill lived in Victorian England, a environment that could be culturally stifling to those who don’t fit it’s fairly rigid strictures. On Liberty is partially pushback against that culture as well as an argument for individual liberty against the legislation of the state.

(Full review at my blog) ( )
  KingRat | Jun 17, 2008 |
It seems a little arrogant to be reviewing philosophy books, but here goes: Mill understands the promise and pitfalls of freedom better than almost any other writer I've read. His book articulates exactly why freedom and individuality are so valuable to a society and in what circumstances it can be justly curtailed. This is perhaps not something you'd sit down to read for fun, but I'm rateful that it was included in our high school debate curriculum. It served me well through out college and Mill's ideas still lurk in the back of my mind when I consider issues of individual freedom today. ( )
  cestovatela | May 7, 2007 |

Mill, John Stuartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collini, StefanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,308,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible