When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David…

When You Are Engulfed in Flames (2008)

by David Sedaris

Recently added byandieaaase, private library, marfita, WWCCLibrary, Homerpickles, Mairsiedoats, beckyface
    Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: These two nonfiction books deal with giving up a vice (alcohol and, to a lesser extent, drugs for Burroughs; cigarettes for Sedaris) and both do so with dark humor scattered throughout their memoirs. That being said, Sedaris's work is more funny than serious while the opposite is true for Burroughs's. Also, Sedaris's book is largely short stories/vignettes while Burroughs's follows a more traditional narrative. Both men are homosexual and that plays some factor in their books, although it's not the overarching story and/or theme.… (more)
    Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever by Joel Derfner (echo2)
    Fraud: Essays by David Rakoff (Cynara)

English (216)  Dutch (1)  All languages (217)
I love the disclaimer: "The events described in these stories are realish." ( )
  paeonia | Nov 20, 2015 |
Originally read 12/6/11. This has been my favorite Sedaris book from those I've read so far. All have been well-written, but this is the first I'd actually classify as funny - many essays had me laughing out loud. My favorite was "It's Catching," followed by "What I Learned." Every essay was enjoyable, and had at least one humorous line. Worth checking out at LEAST for the copy written on the inside flap, which is the best I've ever read.

Re-read 3/29/13, in my excitement of seeing Sedaris speak 4/20/13 [http://www.allisonwrites.com/2013/04/an-evening-with-david-sedaris.html]! This is probably my favorite of his books, though I love them all and can't really pinpoint why this one wins my heart. So many of the essays crack me up, and reading it a second time helped me see how much Sedaris really puts himself out there, flaws and all, for anyone to judge, but does it in a way that is honest and funny and self-deprecating, so you don't really judge him at all. Definitely a lesson to put towards my own writing. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I listened to this read by Sedaris himself over several commutes, and I looked forward to resuming my place every day. I laughed out loud so many times, and just relished in the way he constructs a vignette and paints images with words.
Highly recommended to.....everyone. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
I have a soft spot for this particular collection because it contains the essay that convinced me to love David Sedaris: "All The Beauty You Will Ever Need." That and "Keeping Up" are my favorite Sedaris pieces ever; he may write that well again, but I can't imagine he (or anyone else) could get better.

Please read those, even if you don't want to read the whole book. And while you're there, catch "In The Waiting Room," a cautionary tale on the dangers of being too agreeable.

If you're listening to the audio edition of this book (which I did this time around -- I've read it several times), be sure to stick around for the credits at the end. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
David Sedaris writes essays about people and incidents in his life with an odd and quirky perspective that is often funny. His topics included bitter neighbors, quitting smoking, being gay, French people, Japanese people, airplane seating arrangements and a variety of other things that he experienced. He is sometimes raunchy or disgusting or touching. I listened to the audio version read by the author, which expressed his intentions well. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jul 13, 2015 |

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deggerich, GeorgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richard, NicolasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ronnie Ruedrich
My friend Patsy was telling me a story.

"David Sedaris's ability to transform the mortification of everyday life into wildly entertaining art," (The Christian Science Monitor) is elevated to wilder and more entertaining heights than ever in this remarkable new book.
Trying to make coffee when the water is shut off, David considers using the water in a vase of flowers and his chain of associations takes him from the French countryside to a hilariously uncomfortable memory of buying drugs in a mobile home in rural North Carolina. In essay after essay, Sedaris proceeds from bizarre conundrums of daily life-having a lozenge fall from your mouth into the lap of a fellow passenger on a plane or armoring the windows with LP covers to protect the house from neurotic songbirds-to the most deeply resonant human truths. Culminating in a brilliant account of his venture to Tokyo in order to quit smoking, David Sedaris's sixth essay collection is a new masterpiece of comic writing from "a writer worth treasuring" (Seattle Times).

Praise for When You Are Engulfed in Flames:

"Older, wiser, smarter and meaner, Sedaris...defies the odds once again by delivering an intelligent take on the banalities of an absurd life." --Kirkus Reviews

This latest collection proves that not only does Sedaris still have it, but he's also getting better....Sedaris's best stuff will still--after all this time--move, surprise, and entertain." --Booklist

Table of Contents:

It's Catching
Keeping Up
The Understudy
This Old House
Buddy, Can You Spare a Tie?
Road Trips
Of Mice and Men
April in Paris
Old Faithful
The Smoking Section

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

A collection of essays celebrates the foibles of the author's everyday life in France and America, from an attempt to make coffee with water from a flower vase to a drug purchase in a North Carolina mobile home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible