When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David…

When You Are Engulfed in Flames (2008)

by David Sedaris

Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: These two nonfiction books deal with giving up a vice (alcohol and, to a lesser extent, drugs for Burroughs; cigarettes for Sedaris) and both do so with dark humor scattered throughout their memoirs. That being said, Sedaris's work is more funny than serious while the opposite is true for Burroughs's. Also, Sedaris's book is largely short stories/vignettes while Burroughs's follows a more traditional narrative. Both men are homosexual and that plays some factor in their books, although it's not the overarching story and/or theme.… (more)
    Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever by Joel Derfner (echo2)
    Fraud: Essays by David Rakoff (Cynara)

English (215)  Dutch (1)  All languages (216)
I listened to this read by Sedaris himself over several commutes, and I looked forward to resuming my place every day. I laughed out loud so many times, and just relished in the way he constructs a vignette and paints images with words.
Highly recommended to.....everyone. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
I have a soft spot for this particular collection because it contains the essay that convinced me to love David Sedaris: "All The Beauty You Will Ever Need." That and "Keeping Up" are my favorite Sedaris pieces ever; he may write that well again, but I can't imagine he (or anyone else) could get better.

Please read those, even if you don't want to read the whole book. And while you're there, catch "In The Waiting Room," a cautionary tale on the dangers of being too agreeable.

If you're listening to the audio edition of this book (which I did this time around -- I've read it several times), be sure to stick around for the credits at the end. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
David Sedaris writes essays about people and incidents in his life with an odd and quirky perspective that is often funny. His topics included bitter neighbors, quitting smoking, being gay, French people, Japanese people, airplane seating arrangements and a variety of other things that he experienced. He is sometimes raunchy or disgusting or touching. I listened to the audio version read by the author, which expressed his intentions well. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jul 13, 2015 |
Sedaris, David
When You Are Engulfed In Flames

Where else can you read about an assault with a cough drop, an abduction by a spider, and the boy scout motto, which isn't be prepared to ask people for stuff? David Sedaris does it again, globally.
Recommended July 2008
  dawsong | Jun 15, 2015 |
After living in Korea for over a year, I have seen many a Konglish phrase. I'll upload a photo album of what I've seen one of these days. And maybe then, I'll be able to come up with a list of book and/or chapter titles that I would like to use someday.

I can't say that I was overly enthralled by this collection of essays by Sedaris. There were definitely some laugh out loud moments, usually when his humor matched my own, or just when there was a paticularly absurd situation that would happen. But then there were also some situations that seemed almost...planned out. Maybe I should start writing about the random things that happen in my life, and then right about them. I'm pretty damn sure that I would plump up my life stories with exaggerations and dramatics galore. But that's just me.

It's an entertaining read. Not too heavy; pretty good to read during a flight. You'll most likely read about one of his many adventures on a plane while you're on a plane too. When you are engulfed in economy class. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deggerich, GeorgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richard, NicolasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ronnie Ruedrich
My friend Patsy was telling me a story.

"David Sedaris's ability to transform the mortification of everyday life into wildly entertaining art," (The Christian Science Monitor) is elevated to wilder and more entertaining heights than ever in this remarkable new book.
Trying to make coffee when the water is shut off, David considers using the water in a vase of flowers and his chain of associations takes him from the French countryside to a hilariously uncomfortable memory of buying drugs in a mobile home in rural North Carolina. In essay after essay, Sedaris proceeds from bizarre conundrums of daily life-having a lozenge fall from your mouth into the lap of a fellow passenger on a plane or armoring the windows with LP covers to protect the house from neurotic songbirds-to the most deeply resonant human truths. Culminating in a brilliant account of his venture to Tokyo in order to quit smoking, David Sedaris's sixth essay collection is a new masterpiece of comic writing from "a writer worth treasuring" (Seattle Times).

Praise for When You Are Engulfed in Flames:

"Older, wiser, smarter and meaner, Sedaris...defies the odds once again by delivering an intelligent take on the banalities of an absurd life." --Kirkus Reviews

This latest collection proves that not only does Sedaris still have it, but he's also getting better....Sedaris's best stuff will still--after all this time--move, surprise, and entertain." --Booklist

Table of Contents:

It's Catching
Keeping Up
The Understudy
This Old House
Buddy, Can You Spare a Tie?
Road Trips
Of Mice and Men
April in Paris
Old Faithful
The Smoking Section

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

A collection of essays celebrates the foibles of the author's everyday life in France and America, from an attempt to make coffee with water from a flower vase to a drug purchase in a North Carolina mobile home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,778,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible