When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David…

When You Are Engulfed in Flames (2008)

by David Sedaris

6,253None638 (3.89)196
2008 (65) 2009 (34) American (34) audio (36) audiobook (54) autobiography (55) biography (35) comedy (50) David Sedaris (33) essay (36) essays (498) family (43) fiction (93) France (52) funny (24) gay (47) humor (830) Japan (59) memoir (343) non-fiction (408) own (34) read (65) read in 2008 (42) read in 2009 (27) satire (30) short stories (139) signed (40) smoking (77) to-read (72) unread (34)

English (198)  Dutch (1)  All languages (199)
I think Sedaris was a bit funnier when he mainly wrote about his miserable youth and crazy family...but I love reading about Hugh, too. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
i heard he's mellowed.
  cat-ballou | Jan 22, 2014 |
i heard he's mellowed.
  cat-ballou | Jan 22, 2014 |
The occasional pieces collected here are typical David Sedaris pieces: light, funny, slightly skewed, and warm-hearted. They are also impressively crafted, with balancing echoes and gently threaded motifs. Sedaris writes in a manner that appears almost off-the-cuff, as though the essay in question was tossed off late in the evening after a hearty meal and possibly too much to drink. But that level of insouciance takes a tremendous amount of skill and effort, as anyone who has ever attempted it will attest. There is no need to pick a favourite as most, other than the one long selection, “The Smoking Section”, share a common format in tone and length. Dip in and enjoy. ( )
1 vote RandyMetcalfe | Oct 26, 2013 |
Just when I thought Sedaris couldn't be funnier, he gives up smoking in Japan. For the first time, I actually related to his life as he describes the difficulties of studying the Japanese language. I only wish I could find a similarly humorous take on my trials in Korean class. I laughed out loud so many times when listening to audio version this book on the bus, that several people stared like I must be crazy. If you are looking for some stress relief, I highly recommend this book. ( )
1 vote ARKellogg | Oct 3, 2013 |
For Ronnie Ruedrich
My friend Patsy was telling me a story.

"David Sedaris's ability to transform the mortification of everyday life into wildly entertaining art," (The Christian Science Monitor) is elevated to wilder and more entertaining heights than ever in this remarkable new book.
Trying to make coffee when the water is shut off, David considers using the water in a vase of flowers and his chain of associations takes him from the French countryside to a hilariously uncomfortable memory of buying drugs in a mobile home in rural North Carolina. In essay after essay, Sedaris proceeds from bizarre conundrums of daily life-having a lozenge fall from your mouth into the lap of a fellow passenger on a plane or armoring the windows with LP covers to protect the house from neurotic songbirds-to the most deeply resonant human truths. Culminating in a brilliant account of his venture to Tokyo in order to quit smoking, David Sedaris's sixth essay collection is a new masterpiece of comic writing from "a writer worth treasuring" (Seattle Times).

Praise for When You Are Engulfed in Flames:

"Older, wiser, smarter and meaner, Sedaris...defies the odds once again by delivering an intelligent take on the banalities of an absurd life." --Kirkus Reviews

This latest collection proves that not only does Sedaris still have it, but he's also getting better....Sedaris's best stuff will still--after all this time--move, surprise, and entertain." --Booklist

Table of Contents:

It's Catching
Keeping Up
The Understudy
This Old House
Buddy, Can You Spare a Tie?
Road Trips
April in Paris
Crybaby
Old Faithful
The Smoking Section

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:49 -0400)

A collection of essays celebrates the foibles of the author's everyday life in France and America, from an attempt to make coffee with water from a flower vase to a drug purchase in a North Carolina mobile home.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible