Eugene Onegin (1832)

by Alexander Pushkin

Eugene Onegin is the master work of the poet whom Russians regard as the fountainhead of their literature. Set in 1820s imperial Russia, Pushkin's novel in verse follows the emotions and destiny of three men - Onegin the bored fop, Lensky the minor elegiast, and a stylized Pushkin himself -and the fates and affections of three women - Tatyana the provincial beauty, her sister Olga, and Pushkin's mercurial Muse. Engaging, full of suspense, and varied in tone, it also portrays a large cast of other characters and offers the reader many literary, philosophical, and autobiographicaldigressions, often in a highly satirical vein.Eugene Onegin was Pushkin's own favourite work, and it shows him attempting to transform himself from a romantic poet into a realistic novelist. This new translation seeks to retain both the literal sense and the poetic music of the original, and capture the poem's spontaneity and wit. Theintroduction examines several ways of reading the novel, and text is richly annotated.… (more)

English (52)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (57)
The translation is important. Falen's appears to be the best regarded. ( )
  KENNERLYDAN | Jul 11, 2021 |
I loved this book so much. I already knew the story because I saw Tchaikovsky's opera. Even so, this book exceeded my expectations. Tatiana is such a strong character: she believed in something bigger than herself, and because of that her life gained meaning, even if happiness was not there. This is what Onegin did not have. Pushkin created a true tragedy with deep characters and ideals, and a beautiful language. This book is a masterpiece. ( )
  Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
  Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
5 stars for the poetry, 3 for the plot with a duel that could so easily have been shifted.

Why kill off our favorite character and leave us with phony olde Eugene and his likely luckless and quickly worn off obsession? And how could Tatanya still cherish love for the guy who murdered
Lensky? ( )
  m.belljackson | Apr 8, 2021 |
Well, what could I say? Do I have the audacity to "review" Pushkin? And, what's worse, Pushkin in translation? In a word, NO! ( )
  colligan | Feb 13, 2021 |

Keil, Rolf-DietrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nabokov, VladimirTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stekelenburg, L.H.M. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmer, Charles B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pétri de vanité il avait encore plus de cette espèce d'orgueil qui fait avouer avec la même indifférence les bonnes comme les mauvaises actions, suite d'un sentiment de supériorité, peut-être imaginaire.
Tiré d'une lettre particullère

[Steeped in vanity, he had moreover the particular sort of pride that makes one acknowledge with equal indifference both his good and evil actions, a consequence of a sense of superiority, perhaps imaginary. From a private letter.] (Falen translation)
Not thinking of the proud world's pleasure,
But cherishing your friendship's claim,
I would have wished a finer treasure
To pledge my token to your name--
One worthy of your soul's perfection,
The sacred dreams that fill your gaze,
Your verse's limpid, live complexion,
Your noble thoughts and simple ways.
But let it be. Take this collection
Of sundry chapters as my suit:
Half humorous, half pessimistic,
Blending the plain and idealistic--
Amusement's yield, the careless fruit
Of sleepless nights, light inspirations
Born of my green and withered years . . .
The intellect's cold observations,
The heart's reflections, writ in tears.

[Originally addressed to Pushkin's friend and publisher P. A. Pletnyov.] (Falen translation)
To Véra
'My uncle, man of firm convictions...
By falling gravely ill, he's won
A due respect for his afflictions--
The only clever thing he's done.
(James E. Falen translation)
Alexander Pushkin (1799 - 1837) is the poet and writer whom Russians regard as both the source and the summit of their literature. (Introduction)

Legacy Library: Alexander Pushkin

Alexander Pushkin has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Alexander Pushkin's legacy profile.

See Alexander Pushkin's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

The Planet

An edition of this book was published by The Planet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,585,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible