The Plot Against America (2004)

by Philip Roth

8,172197807 (3.73)453
Roth creates a mesmerizing alternate world as well, in which Charles A. Lindbergh defeats FDR in the 1940 presidential election, and Philip, his parents and his brother weather the storm in Newark, N.J. Incorporating Lindbergh's actual radio address in which he accused the British and the Jews of trying to force America into a foreign war, Roth builds an eerily logical narrative that shows how isolationists in and out of government, emboldened by Lindbergh's blatant anti-Semitism (he invites von Rippentrop to the White House, etc.), enact new laws and create an atmosphere of religious hatred that culminates in nationwide pogroms.… (more)
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Alternate history based in the US where WWII has had a different outcome.
    Fatherland by Robert Harris (bertilak)
    It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis (TLCrawford)
    TLCrawford: Similar plot written by a winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature at a time when it could, in fact, have happened here. Lewis' wife, journalist Dorthy Thompson was stationed in Berlin during Hitler's early years.
    The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (ateolf)
    Farthing by Jo Walton (wisemetis)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (bertilak)
    K by Daniel Easterman (Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (TeeKay)
    The Book of Daniel by E. L. Doctorow (whirled)
    American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America by Chris Hedges (bertilak)

English (169)  French (9)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (197)
Interesting twist...
  DanJlaf | May 13, 2021 |
Some people are almost only remembered for a single glorious deed. Philip Roth likes to remind us that our heroes may not be quite as heroic as the classroom history books like to tell us. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
An interesting fictional tale of Nazi sympathizer Charles Lindbergh being elected over FDR in 1940 and allowing strong anti-Semetic sentiments to penetrate America, all told from the perspective of eight year old [a: Philip Roth|463|Philip Roth|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1399886959p2/463.jpg]. Fairly unrealistic and at times completely implausible, but nonetheless a though-provoking, post 9-11 look at how easily anti-democratic waves can make their way through our country, with or without figure as brutal as Hitler at the helm. Some of the narration is flat out convoluted and sporadic, but the entire novel is almost always entertaining. ( )
  revatait | Feb 21, 2021 |
Given today's political environment this is worth a reread. ( )
  tedyang | Oct 28, 2020 |
I was not expecting that much from this novel. I had read a lot of [a:Phillip Roth|5321640|M. Phillip Roth|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png] and probably needed to stay away for a while. But this had been on the shelf too long. I also knew it was alternative history, which is not a genre I especially like. But my expectations were way off base. Roth did an excellent job of balancing the story of a Jewish family and a Jewish neighborhood with the big-picture historical events. There were times when you just wanted to scream at some of the misguided characters. The positive and negative aspects of humanity were unavoidable. I liked how the novel presented different possible takes on the actions of President Lindbergh. I did think the story lost some of its tight focus towards the end, but it was still an excellent reading experience. ( )
  afkendrick | Oct 24, 2020 |
Philip Roth has written a terrific political novel, though in a style his readers might never have predicted — a fable of an alternative universe, in which America has gone fascist and ordinary life has been flattened under a steamroller of national politics and mass hatreds.
added by danielx | editNew York Times, Paul Berman (Dec 29, 2014)

Young Philip's greatest epiphany is to recognise the difference between history as taught in school - harmless and inevitable - and history as it's lived through, "the relentless unforeseen". His novel is a different kind of history again, an imagined past which, if we learn from it, might save us from a calamitous future. It's not Roth's funniest novel (and there's hardly any sex). But in its sweep and chutzpah, it ranks with his great trilogy of the late-90s. Isn't it time they gave him the Nobel?
added by danielx | editThe Guardian, Blake Morrison (Jan 1, 2004)

Philip Roth's huge, inflammatory, painfully moving new novel draws upon a persistent theme in American life: "It can't happen here." That's how we express our longing to believe that our ideals are too strong to be shoved aside by some cruder impulse, and our nagging fear that our democracy is too fragile to withstand assault by the muscle of fascism...

Roth, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kooman, KoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Línek, JosefTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mantovani, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silver, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwart, JannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To S.F.R.
Fear presides over these memories, a perpetual fear.
Et je n'avais jamais aussi bien compris à quel point la vanité éhontée des imbéciles peut faire le malheur d'autrui.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,626,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible