dismiss

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father…

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (1986)

by Art Spiegelman

Series: Maus: A Survivor's Tale (1)

8,254203674 (4.44)309
The author-illustrator traces his father's imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp through a series of disarming and unusual cartoons arranged to tell the story as a novel.

English (196)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (203)
I know I read this, pretty sure it was when I was in college... I do know that I loved it, even given the dark subject matter. It's really well done, and the drawings lighten up the dark theme just enough to make it bearable without taking away any of the horror of what happened.

--------------------

2020 re-read: this wasn't the easiest point in time for a re-read of this book, but it's important that we never forget the horror of what happened. Also, this was a great reminder that all the changes which are so obvious in the history books happened relatively slowly in real life. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
This is a great way to get people to read history. ( )
  BelindaS7 | Apr 14, 2020 |
Nothing outside of Alain Resnais' 1956 documentary on Nazi Prison camps, Nuit et brouillard has ever captured the soul and human tragedy of the Holocaust. Maus captures not just that, but it's effect on future generations. The slower you read this, the deeper the tragedy is spun into the events described. There's no saying of how much of the Holocaust shapes Vladek, and how much of it lives through him in his daily decisions. Or worse, how much of it was inherited by Artie. In a very 'Mother by Pink Floyd' way, Artie is himself a survivor of his father's psychological incapacities which manifested during the great war. In Maus, the Holocaust is a DNA strand that runs through millions of Jews, Germans, and the collective consciousness of our society. A reminder that an atrocity this incomprehensible can never be forgotten, for it's an earthquake whose tremors will be felt for generations to come.

Terribly moving high art. Recommend to everyone reading this review. ( )
  pod_twit | Mar 30, 2020 |
What can I possibly say about Maus that hasn't already been said ? Well, I'm sure there's nothing, but personally, I was very impressed by Spiegelman's talent. His ability to use mice and pigs to illustrate the Jewish condition in Pre-WW II and onward is extraordinary. Who would have thought that a graphic novel could so succinctly capture the atrocities to befall the followers of this faith during the Holocaust? Somehow, Spiegelman makes it work as he retells and illustrates his father's memories of surviving the inhumanity and unspeakable brutality he and others of his ilk withstood.
An emotional read and highly recommended. ( )
  Carmenere | Mar 15, 2020 |
story about the author's jewish parents and their experience during the german invasion of poland in WWII. nicely done. the drawings could be better, but it all fits well. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
Making a Holocaust comic book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats would probably strike most people as flippant, if not appalling. ''Maus: A Survivor's Tale'' is the opposite of flippant and appalling. To express yourself as an artist, you must find a form that leaves you in control but doesn't leave you by yourself. That's how ''Maus'' looks to me - a way Mr. Spiegelman found of making art.

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amorim, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carano, RanieriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mouly, FrancoiseEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
Purdue Jewish Studies Program
It was summer, I remember I was ten or eleven...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History". It does NOT contain the second volume of the story, Maus II.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

AR 3.2, 3 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,488,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible