Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (1986)

by Art Spiegelman

Series: Maus: A Survivor's Tale (1), Maus (1)

9,457233657 (4.43)1 / 372
Maus is a haunting tale within a tale. Vladek's harrowing story of survival is woven into the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Against the backdrop of guilt brought by survival, they stage a normal life of small arguments and unhappy visits.

English (226)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (233)
Currently, this book is best known for being challenged and ultimately banned by a school board in Tennessee. Based on the author’s father’s experiences during World War II, the graphic novel holds nothing back when depicting the horrors and injustice experienced by people deemed less than by the Nazis. Using mice to represent Jewish people and cats to represent the Nazis, author and illustrator Art Spieglemen is able to evoke pathos without causing so much stife in the readers that they disassociate and become incapable of empathizing. What’s surprising then is that the depictions of nudity were cited as a main reason for challenging Maus. World War II and the Holocaust were ugly, painful, horrific and hard to accept. Books like Maus do not sugarcoat these facts: there’s nudity, vulgar language, death, murder, and hate crimes but by using a genre (animal stories) typically reserved for children, teens and adults can experience these realities in digestible ways.
  aprilasfour | Jul 25, 2022 |
As of 2022 a "banned" book. A very important contribution to holicaust surviver's literature. The comic format appealed to me then for sure. The story itself is gripping. Read both 1 and 2. ( )
  CriticalThinkTank | Jul 19, 2022 |
Very powerful. ( )
  Teresa.Higdon | Jul 17, 2022 |
La mejor historieta de la historia! No puede ser mejor ( )
  Alvaritogn | Jul 1, 2022 |
I especially appreciate the jumps forward in time to intimate family details that frame the larger historical story. ( )
  IVLeafClover | Jun 21, 2022 |
Making a Holocaust comic book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats would probably strike most people as flippant, if not appalling. ''Maus: A Survivor's Tale'' is the opposite of flippant and appalling. To express yourself as an artist, you must find a form that leaves you in control but doesn't leave you by yourself. That's how ''Maus'' looks to me - a way Mr. Spiegelman found of making art.

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amorim, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carano, RanieriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mouly, FrancoiseEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
Purdue Jewish Studies Program
It was summer, I remember I was ten or eleven...
No, darling!
To die it’s easy...
but you have to struggle for life!
Until the last moment we must struggle together!
I need you!
And you’ll see that together we’ll survive.
This always I told to her.
This is the single volume edition of "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History". It does NOT contain the second volume of the story, Maus II.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

AR 3.2, 3 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,420,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible