Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father…

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (1986)

by Art Spiegelman

Series: Maus: A Survivor's Tale (1)

7,704196684 (4.44)300
Recently added bykopkoffie, pqfuller, taxcourtjester, angelo.dat, private library, wilky27, Bjornarvid, Boennchen, AndyGiesler, Esharp777
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose

English (188)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (195)
This was a graphic novel and the story of the author and conversations with his father. His father and mother has survived the concentration camps of WWII, and he wanted to tell his story. Because he was a cartoonist, he decided to draw the Jewish people as the mice and the German soldiers as cats. During the interviews with his father he learns what it was like during the war. The author had a brother that was born during that time, but was taken away and killed. His mother committed suicide when the author was in his 20s. Now his father, remarried and unwell, relives for his son was it was like during the years the Nazis had control.

This was a good book, and a great way to tell yet another WWII story. I read at least 2-3 WWII novels a year, so it was nice to read something a little different about that period of time. And because it was the true account of a family and how they survived, that made it all the better.

I enjoyed it, and I encourage you to check it out. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
This one has been on my TBR list for ages. It's consistently on the lists you see of the best graphic novels of all time. There is good reason for that. It's amazing.

This is the first volume of a two volume story. It's about Spiegelman's troubled relationship with his father and it's about his father's life as a Jew in Poland.

Any story about the Holocaust is guaranteed to be heartbreaking. This one manages to have moments of joy and humor here and there amid the horror and sadness. It's a powerful story and the choice to portray the Jews and mice and the Nazis as cats is something I liked. I felt it added to the menace of the actions of the Nazis.

Reading this is in our present political climate certainly added to its power.

This first volume takes the story of Spiegelman's parents to the gates of Auschwitz and his present day relationship with his father to a fracturing point.

I already have volume two out from the library. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 13, 2018 |
Very moving. Chilling reminder of terrible, unimaginable horrors. However, Spiegelman not only tells a Holocaust story, but also his own tenuous relationship with his father and their mourning for his mother's death. Very human and terrifying. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
This graphic novel tells the story of the author's father's experience in the Holocaust. It is a deeply personal and vivid account that goes back and forth between the present day relationship between father and son, and the memories of the war.
  helenaament | Aug 12, 2018 |
Powerful story told through the eyes of the cartoonist son of his father who tries to survive WWII. The family is Jewish and the story is of their lives before WWII and the Nazi takeover of Germany to the time the man and his wife are separated at Auschwitz.

It is a hard story to hear how the survivors made it through and what they did to survive. Done though graphic novel format does not lessen the horrors or the fear. Going between the past and today, the story shows the contrast between the generations of survivors and their offspring. It shows how those experiences continued to influence the present life for those who made it.

This is not a book that will be left behind. I will remember it. I also want to read part 2. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jul 27, 2018 |
Making a Holocaust comic book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats would probably strike most people as flippant, if not appalling. ''Maus: A Survivor's Tale'' is the opposite of flippant and appalling. To express yourself as an artist, you must find a form that leaves you in control but doesn't leave you by yourself. That's how ''Maus'' looks to me - a way Mr. Spiegelman found of making art.

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amorim, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carano, RanieriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mouly, FrancoiseEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
Purdue Jewish Studies Program
It was summer, I remember I was ten or eleven...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History". It does NOT contain the second volume of the story, Maus II.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

AR 3.2, 3 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394747232, Paperback)

Some historical events simply beggar any attempt at description--the Holocaust is one of these. Therefore, as it recedes and the people able to bear witness die, it becomes more and more essential that novel, vigorous methods are used to describe the indescribable. Examined in these terms, Art Spiegelman's Maus is a tremendous achievement, from a historical perspective as well as an artistic one.

Spiegelman, a stalwart of the underground comics scene of the 1960s and '70s, interviewed his father, Vladek, a Holocaust survivor living outside New York City, about his experiences. The artist then deftly translated that story into a graphic novel. By portraying a true story of the Holocaust in comic form--the Jews are mice, the Germans cats, the Poles pigs, the French frogs, and the Americans dogs--Spiegelman compels the reader to imagine the action, to fill in the blanks that are so often shied away from. Reading Maus, you are forced to examine the Holocaust anew.

This is neither easy nor pleasant. However, Vladek Spiegelman and his wife Anna are resourceful heroes, and enough acts of kindness and decency appear in the tale to spur the reader onward (we also know that the protagonists survive, else reading would be too painful). This first volume introduces Vladek as a happy young man on the make in pre-war Poland. With outside events growing ever more ominous, we watch his marriage to Anna, his enlistment in the Polish army after the outbreak of hostilities, his and Anna's life in the ghetto, and then their flight into hiding as the Final Solution is put into effect. The ending is stark and terrible, but the worst is yet to come--in the second volume of this Pulitzer Prize-winning set. --Michael Gerber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

The author-illustrator traces his father's imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp through a series of disarming and unusual cartoons arranged to tell the story as a novel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,127,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible