In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin

In Patagonia (1977)

by Bruce Chatwin

English (47)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (60)
I enjoyed reading about an area very little known to me. This is an excellent travel read. ( )
  ebeach | Jul 20, 2015 |
Couldn't get into it. For one thing, Chatwin assumes we know something of the area and its history, its relationship to the rest of the world. I don't. Maybe someday.... but given the size of Mt TBR, not likely. Sorry.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Charming, nostalgic, nicely written—made me think of my own days long ago in Argentina... ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
I got through half of it and had to stop. I don't believe I've ever tried to read a book and had to stop reading due to pure boredom, or lack of wanting to finish it, since trying to read Heart of Darkness in high school.

This book may very well have some redeeming qualities to it, but in 100 pages I wasn't able to find any of them. ( )
  michplunkett | Jul 14, 2014 |
If the book were nothing more than a study of how the English maintain quaint customs in remote environments, its appeal would be limited. Fortunately, Mr. Chatwin has an inquiring mind, and part of the pleasure lies in his digressions. Not for him the straight line and the urgent destination. He detours and meanders and circles back, and before we know it we are being told tales of the early navigators, or given an account of an anarchist revolution, or hearing the true story of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, who went to Patagonia in 1901 on the run from the Pinkertons, started a sheep farm and stayed for five years. Mr. Chatwin's mind, like a crowded attic without cobwebs, produces curios and discontinued models, presented in a manner that is laconic without being listless, literate without being pedantic, and intent without being breathless
added by John_Vaughan | editNY Times, Ted Morgan (Jul 12, 1978)

Bruce Chatwinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kamp, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shakespeare, NicholasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In my grandmother's dining-room there was a glass-fronted cabinet and in the cabinet a piece of skin.

An exhilarating look at a place that still retains the exotic mystery of a far-off, unseen land, Bruce Chatwin’s exquisite account of his journey through Patagonia teems with evocative descriptions, remarkable bits of history, and unforgettable anecdotes. Fueled by an unmistakable lust for life and adventure and a singular gift for storytelling, Chatwin treks through “the uttermost part of the earth”— that stretch of land at the southern tip of South America, where bandits were once made welcome—in search of almost forgotten legends, the descendants of Welsh immigrants, and the log cabin built by Butch Cassidy. An instant classic upon publication in 1977, In Patagonia is a masterpiece that has cast a long shadow upon the literary world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

"An exhilarating look at a place that still retains the exotic mystery of a far-off, unseen land, Bruce Chatwin's exquisite account of his journey through Patagonia teems with evocative descriptions, remarkable bits of history, and unforgettable anecdotes. Fueled by an unmistakable lust for life and adventure and a singular gift for storytelling, Chatwin treks through "the uttermost part of the earth" - that stretch of land at the southern tip of South America, where bandits were once made welcome - in search of almost-forgotten legends, the descendants of Welsh immigrants, and the log cabin built by Butch Cassidy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,413,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible