In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin

In Patagonia (1977)

by Bruce Chatwin

Recently added bytaylor.eggan, private library, tronella, Al_Ennis, tennisfan2, CKBradford, gclark, Qwill-Pen, pizzadj2
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

English (63)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (76)
Interesting and, on balance, well written, but the author assumed a lot of historical and political knowledge that I lack and was weirdly preoccupied with whether the people he met were Jewish. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
I love to travel! And when I cannot travel, I love to read about other people's travels. In fact, travel literature is high on my list of favorite literary genres, peopled by authors like Graham Greene, Freya Stark, Paul Theroux, Edward Abbey, Colm Toibin, et al. In 97 short vignettes, Chatwin travels on foot and by hitch-hiking over the spiked southerly tip of a South America finding encounters with the likes of Darwin, Butch Cassidy, dinosaurs and giant sloths, shipwrecks, miner's strikes, and Shakespeare's Caliban. And his words flow from him like lasers focused upon sharp, gem-like prose! ( )
  tennisfan2 | Jun 6, 2019 |
Suffering from emotional bumps and bruises I needed a holiday. My brother Tim sent me a voucher so that I could fly to San Francisco for free. I was grateful. It was cold and gray but I was in San Francisco. One afternoon I found myself footsore and starving. I was heading towards BART stop when I saw a Thai restaurant on the other side of the street. I up a block crossed the street and discovered a book shop. Ducking in, I was pleased with their selection. I bought In Patagonia and went down the block to the Thai restauant. Ordering a half liter of house red and pad thai with tofu I opened the book. My food was cold before I put the book down. I chugged the wine and gnoshed as best I could. I hurried to catch my train. Flushed from the wine and my sprint. I opened the book again, when a man seated across asked me if Chatwin was Australian. I told him I didn't think so but he wrote abook about the Outback titled Songlines. The man smiled. His name was Michel and he was from France and in California on holiday. His right hand was in a cast. We shook left hands and wished each other good travels. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
A brilliant, meandering piece of writing that suffers slightly from the impression it gives of Chatwin as an occasionally supercilious outsider looking in. William Dalrymple's introduction is excellent, though perhaps best read afterwards. Chatwin's haunting photographs add an extra dimension to this handsome Folio edition. ( )
  Lirmac | Feb 15, 2019 |
A brilliant, meandering piece of writing that suffers slightly from the impression it gives of Chatwin as an occasionally supercilious outsider looking in. This unfortunate notion is amplified by Nicholas Shakespeare's well-judged introduction (which is perhaps best read afterwards). ( )
  Lirmac | Feb 15, 2019 |
If the book were nothing more than a study of how the English maintain quaint customs in remote environments, its appeal would be limited. Fortunately, Mr. Chatwin has an inquiring mind, and part of the pleasure lies in his digressions. Not for him the straight line and the urgent destination. He detours and meanders and circles back, and before we know it we are being told tales of the early navigators, or given an account of an anarchist revolution, or hearing the true story of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, who went to Patagonia in 1901 on the run from the Pinkertons, started a sheep farm and stayed for five years. Mr. Chatwin's mind, like a crowded attic without cobwebs, produces curios and discontinued models, presented in a manner that is laconic without being listless, literate without being pedantic, and intent without being breathless
added by John_Vaughan | editNY Times, Ted Morgan (Jul 12, 1978)

Chatwin, Bruceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hesse, EelcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kamp, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shakespeare, NicholasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In my grandmother's dining-room there was a glass-fronted cabinet and in the cabinet a piece of skin.

An exhilarating look at a place that still retains the exotic mystery of a far-off, unseen land, Bruce Chatwin’s exquisite account of his journey through Patagonia teems with evocative descriptions, remarkable bits of history, and unforgettable anecdotes. Fueled by an unmistakable lust for life and adventure and a singular gift for storytelling, Chatwin treks through “the uttermost part of the earth”— that stretch of land at the southern tip of South America, where bandits were once made welcome—in search of almost forgotten legends, the descendants of Welsh immigrants, and the log cabin built by Butch Cassidy. An instant classic upon publication in 1977, In Patagonia is a masterpiece that has cast a long shadow upon the literary world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

"An exhilarating look at a place that still retains the exotic mystery of a far-off, unseen land, Bruce Chatwin's exquisite account of his journey through Patagonia teems with evocative descriptions, remarkable bits of history, and unforgettable anecdotes. Fueled by an unmistakable lust for life and adventure and a singular gift for storytelling, Chatwin treks through "the uttermost part of the earth" - that stretch of land at the southern tip of South America, where bandits were once made welcome - in search of almost-forgotten legends, the descendants of Welsh immigrants, and the log cabin built by Butch Cassidy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,756,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible