dismiss

Nation (2008)

by Terry Pratchett

After a devastating tsunami destroys all that they have ever known, Mau, an island boy, and Daphne, an aristocratic English girl, together with a small band of refugees, set about rebuilding their community and all the things that are important in their lives.
Recently added byArina40, TrilogyLib, imlee, Stacyleanne12, private library, Archmerk, Martha662
    The Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings by Terry Pratchett (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: This book is, perhaps, for a slightly younger readership. Never the less, it's still fun.
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (brianjungwi)
    Gullstruck Island by Frances Hardinge (foggidawn)
    The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy by Terry Pratchett (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: Another of Terry's young adult books; some thinking required of young readers.
    The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck (infiniteletters)
    The Girl Who Owned A City by O. T. Nelson (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: More thoughts on nationhood, and what makes a nation, pitched at young readers.
    The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco (tronella)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (JonTheNiceGuy)

English (224)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (227)
Wow. This is quite possibly Terry Pratchett's best book to date. It's not a Discworld story -- it's set on an alternate version of Earth -- but like the Discworld books, it tells us a lot about ourselves by reflecting us in a funhouse mirror.

If you're a Pratchett fan, read this book as soon as you can. ( )
  pjohanneson | May 5, 2020 |
Outstanding. Thoroughly Pratchett, although not in his usual Discworld style (more like some of the other tangential novels). However, apparently one Sir Pterry considered to be his best.

(hiatus between start and finish; not that long a read) ( )
  librisissimo | Jan 30, 2020 |
This was my first non-Tiffany Aching TP experience. I ADORE the Wee Free Men. I found Nation to be terribly boring for the first 95 pages, and just when I thought I had read enough to justify putting it down, it got really interesting and I finished the remaining 270 pages in nearly one sitting. I was intrigued at the beginning with the questions of education and cultural rituals and how far they can get from reality. Both Mau (an island native) and Daphne (a Victorian princess-type) are totally unprepared for survival after a tsunami strands them together on an island. Well, Mau can find food and shelter and all that, but is at a loss for how to perform the rituals to his gods. The novel then turns to questions of faith and science and whether they are mutually exclusive. In the end, it comes down heavily on the side of science, but I think acknowledges the power and importance of belief. I think maybe Pratchett is saying that science is our new religion. I'd be interested to hear some other interpretations. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
Very dissapointed with this one. Had a few good moments, but not his best. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
The story was as good as I remember and the narration was enjoyable. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Aug 23, 2019 |
It's a complete departure for Pratchett and yet is recognizably him, on every page, writing with the same grace and wit we know from his other work. Highly recommended (and would make brilliant bedtime reading, too).
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 30, 2008)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brehnkmann, PederTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duddle, JonnyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaminski, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lyn
The snow came down so thickly, it formed fragile snowballs in the air that tumbled and melted as soon as they landed on the horses lined up along the dock. - Chapter 1
Imo set out one day to catch some fish, but there was no sea. - How Imo Made The World, In The Time When Things Were Otherwise And The Moon Was Different
It was like being in a Jane Austen novel, but one with far less clothing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,872,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible