Nation (2008)

by Terry Pratchett

After a devastating tsunami destroys all that they have ever known, Mau, an island boy, and Daphne, an aristocratic English girl, together with a small band of refugees, set about rebuilding their community and all the things that are important in their lives.
Recently added bydummy971, cuteseal, xenoglossy, Anthony4182, allanahk, ckt13, nzfriend, nadinedais, private library
    The Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings by Terry Pratchett (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: This book is, perhaps, for a slightly younger readership. Never the less, it's still fun.
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (brianjungwi)
    Gullstruck Island by Frances Hardinge (foggidawn)
    The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy by Terry Pratchett (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: Another of Terry's young adult books; some thinking required of young readers.
    The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck (infiniteletters)
    The Girl Who Owned A City by O. T. Nelson (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: More thoughts on nationhood, and what makes a nation, pitched at young readers.
    The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco (tronella)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (JonTheNiceGuy)

English (231)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (234)
Just finished Nation, one of the last Pratchett books I hadn’t read. It took me a while to get to it, I think partly because I’ll be sad when there are no new Pratchett works left for me to discover.

Not a lot to say about it, started it Friday night and finished it today, so I definitely found it both compelling and enjoyable. A more modern Robinson Crusoe story, basically, with all the wit and charm and optimistic hopefulness (married with a dash of cynicism) that you’d expect from Pratchett.

I also really liked how he foretold elements of the third act, both explicitly in text with the framing that this was a recollection, and also through the Chekhov’s gun type scenarios he set up. Big recommendation. ( )
  jordan7hm | Jan 18, 2022 |
"Nation" by Terry Pratchett was a joy to read. I smiled so much. I know I will reread it.

When my grandchildren are older, I am going to give them Terry Pratchett books to read. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
I got very drawn in by the start of this book and the interactions between the two main characters, but then started to lose interest later on as more characters and events were introduced. I still wanted to know how the story ended, but the most memorable moments for me definitely happen early on. I was a lot more invested in the characters and ideas presented than I was in the plot. I liked that the book challenged and discussed social norms and roles, although I didnt always agree with its conclusions.

If you want to read a Terry Pratchett book but are feeling nervous about the number of books in the Discworld series this might be a good book to check out. Its a standalone and not hard to read, and gives a decent feel for Pratchetts style. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
This is the first Pratchett I've read, and based on this, I should probably try and pick up some others. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Wonderful! ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
It's a complete departure for Pratchett and yet is recognizably him, on every page, writing with the same grace and wit we know from his other work. Highly recommended (and would make brilliant bedtime reading, too).
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 30, 2008)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brehnkmann, PederTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duddle, JonnyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaminski, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lyn
The snow came down so thickly, it formed fragile snowballs in the air that tumbled and melted as soon as they landed on the horses lined up along the dock. - Chapter 1
Imo set out one day to catch some fish, but there was no sea. - How Imo Made The World, In The Time When Things Were Otherwise And The Moon Was Different
It was like being in a Jane Austen novel, but one with far less clothing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,063,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible