From Hell by Alan Moore

From Hell

by Alan Moore, Eddie Campbell (Illustrator)

Other authors: Pete Mullins (Illustrator)

Series: From Hell (Complete)

Legendary comics writer Alan Moore and artist Eddie Campbell have created a gripping, hallucinatory piece of crime fiction about Jack the Ripper. Detailing the events that led up to the Whitechapel murders and the cover-up that followed, From Hell has become a modern masterpiece of crime noir and historical fiction.… (more)
Recently added bydean117, private library, AMC1998, pluriebus, TheDoug, CeciliaZ, ltfl_nistis

English (60)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (65)
Alan Moore's take on the Ripper mystery is, appropriately given the fractured and incomplete facts of the case, not a contrived whodunnit but a fortean folk horror journey in to the soul of that particular London, socially, architecturally, geographically, culturally. Campbell's stark artwork deserves a review of its own but I suspect I lack the vocabulary.
1 vote sockatume | Jun 18, 2019 |
What a confused mess. Seriously. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Mary Kelly was just an unusually determined suicide. Why don't we leave it there?

Well, that was that. From Hell is overflowing with sublime images, there is also a strident lyricism to the prose, My appreciation for both was hampered by my bullshit alarm ringing incessantly. There's this London school of the subversive, to which Moore belongs: Iain Sinclair and Peter Ackroyd are also practicing partners. They parse and weave, finding anecdote and parallel in the accrued centuries of history along the banks of the Fleet and the Thames. The ancient grit and whispered airs both haunt and charge, maintaining spectral currents which cross the city. Everything from the Druids to Oscar Wilde to the Final Solution is duly linked. It does tax and test, but the assemblage is admirable, the loud warnings of a bus stop prophet. So much is recycled and applied elsewhere -- an conservation of totems, a self organizing oracle down pissy alleys amid take-away menus and lottery tickets -- therein lies the true eschatological -- away from the louche plastic of muggle money. Away.

I have seen the film adaptation a number of times, so the arc was familiar. The detail revealed within the text was at times spellbinding, the sepia charm of gaslight and decomposition. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
A tough read, but I'm also glad I persisted. I don't know if I'd call this my *favorite* Moore, but at this point I think it's definitely his best. I don't know if I'll ever get the story out of my head. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
a stunning accomplishment. a radical example of what "comic books"/"graphic novels" can do. i finished it this morning after a night of nightmares - i had just read the panels about the murder of Mary Kelly. How frightening. I could not sleep, I literally shook with fear, kept rising to check the door. It does not matter now to take apart the "correctness" of the theory, of the conspiracy, because like the Manson Family murders of the 60s, Jack the Ripper was the end of an age, a period at the end of an outrageous sentence! and the birth of a century that has seen atrocities that make Jack and his disassembled bodies look quaint. Absolutely astounding, one of the finest books I have ever read. ( )
  adaorhell | Aug 24, 2018 |
It’s a disturbing, haunting book, and an astounding achievement.

It's an immense, majestic work about the Jack the Ripper murders, the dark Victorian world they happened in, and the birth of the 20th century. This awful moment in the 1880s was, in Moore's view, the beginning of tabloid journalism, the end of empire, and, of course, the emergence of the first famous serial killer.

As ambitious and affecting as anything ever rendered in pictures and word balloons, "From Hell" combines an intricate mystery, insightful social criticism and unflinching brutality capable of unnerving the most desensitized pop audience.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Curt Holman (Oct 26, 1999)

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, EddieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mullins, PeteIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martins, JotapêTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bournemouth, September 1923
The is the book; please do not combine with the video.

Knockabout Comics

2 editions of this book were published by Knockabout Comics.

Editions: 0861661419, 0861661567

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,814,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible