Snow Falling on Cedars (1995)

by David Guterson

In Washington State, the trial of Kabuo Miyomoto, a Japanese-American fisherman accused of murdering another fisherman, Carl Heine. The prosecution charges the murder was committed as revenge for the Heine family taking Miyomoto's land at the outbreak of World War II and the novel traces the different reaction of the white and yellow communities. By the author of The Country Ahead of Us, the Country Behind.… (more)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: This novel also deals with the internment of Japanese Americans and the heartache endured.
    Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson (browner56)
    browner56: The Pacific Northwest sets the stage for these engrossing and highly atmospheric novels
    Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Sky Fisherman: A Novel by Craig Lesley (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books show a love for the Pacific Northwest in their setting.
    Sole Survivor by Derek Hansen (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Internment, but in different circumstances
    The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx (sturlington)
    sturlington: Small-town island settings.

English (159)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (170)
Snow Falling on Cedars
By David Guterson
1995, Vintage
Paperback, 460pp

"...accident ruled every corner of the universe except the chambers of the human heart."

Every once in a while a novel finds you and perfectly satisfies your present literary needs. Character depth, plot complexity, controlled pacing, deft perspective- and time-shifting, taut sentences crafted to please anyone sensitive to language—it's all here. Sometimes you just want a conventional, well-executed, American novel, on the order of, say, Philip Roth or Donna Tartt. This was it for me, and I can press on knowing that my rendez-vous will not soon pass from memory. ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
Best in class - a murder mystery where that is the setting rather than the reason for the book. The reason for the book is to dive into xenophobia, and west coast relations with Japanese-Americans during WWII era.

A UMD First Year Book in 2000
http://wp.fyb.umd.edu/about/fyb-archive/ ( )
  bederson | Dec 17, 2020 |
Although a fictional novel, Japanese internment plays a huge role in this book that was so popular in the 90s. It is the story of a love triangle between two Japanese Americans who were subject to the internment camps of World War II and a white boy that had a love affair with Hatsue Imada. A very powerful and moving story.
  twalsh212 | Jul 10, 2020 |
Picked this up thinking it would be great to read something about my home state. It didnt take long to be swept up in it and become invested in the characters. I really enjoyed how it tackled big topics in a forthright manner and dealt with the humans who grapple with them. ( )
  hopebarton2014 | Jun 15, 2020 |
One of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. A novel that everyone should read. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |

David Gutersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Krüger, ChristaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the middle of the journey of our life I came to myself
within a dark wood where the straight way was lost.
Ah, how hard a thing it is to tell what a wild,
and rough, and stubborn wood this was,
which in my thought renews the fear!

- Dante
The Divine Comedy
Harmony, like a following breeze
at sea, is the exception.

Harvey Oxenhorn
Tuning the Rig
To my mother and father,
with gratitude.
The accused man, Kabuo Miyamoto, sat proudly upright with a rigid grace, his palms placed softly on the defendant's table - the posture of a man who has detached himself insofar as this is possible at his own trial.

San Piedro island, north of Puget Sound, is a place so isolated that no one who lives there can afford to make enemies. But in 1954 a local fisherman is found suspiciously drowned, and a Japanese-American named Kabuo Miyamoto is charged with his murder. In the course of the ensuing trial, it becomes clear that what is at stake is more than one man's guilt. For on San Piedro, memory grows as thickly as cedar trees and the fields of ripe strawberries-memories of a charmed love affair between a white boy and the Japanese girl who grew up to become Kabuo's wife; memories of a land desired, paid for, and lost. Above all, San Peidro is haunted by the memory of what happened to its Japanese residents during WWII, when an entire community was sent into exile while its neighbors watched. (0-679-76402-X)
I've not read the booknamed Snow Falling on CedarsDoubt I ever will
SomeGuyinVirginia

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,939,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible