The Sandman: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: The Doll's House (1990)

by Neil Gaiman, Chris Bachalo (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator), Steve Parkhouse (Illustrator)1 more, Michael Zulli (Illustrator)

Other authors: Clive Barker (Introduction), Robbie Busch (Colorist), Todd Klein (Letterer)

Series: The Sandman (9-16)

6,31787626 (4.31)1 / 220

English (83)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (87)
So, it was awesome. I rated volume one (Preludes & Nocturnes) three stars because it was very confusing for me, especially since I'm not a regular comic book reader. I'm all for difficult literature, but at some points it seemed to be art-for-the-sake-of-art rather than something coherent I could actually follow. I had a lot of faith in Gaiman, however, and stuck around for volume two, and I'm very glad I did. There's still a little bit of "what was that all about" (Part Four, anyone?), but Gaiman is building an entire world here, and I trust that it will all make sense in the end. Why four stars instead of five when I clearly enjoyed reading this book so much? Because I know the series is only going to get better, and I need to leave a little bit of room for that. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
Fine - best bit "Men of good fortune". Will read next vol. ( )
  deeronthecurve | Jan 19, 2017 |
The cover of this one is so creepy, and the title made me think of my least favorite horror genre (alive dolls). so I wasn't very excited about reading this volume. But once I got started, I found it so enthralling I didn't put it down, except to text my friends how great it was. The opening story, a folklore-heavy story about the Endless, was magnificent, and the main plot was a lot more interesting than the alive dolls theme I had feared. This was so great I am almost afraid to read the next one, because how could it live up to this? ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
Genial på sina ställen, oförståelig på andra. ( )
  BellaStormborn | Aug 1, 2016 |
Just like with volume 1, this really is a great story. The characters are deep, complex, emotional, and real. The world building is fantastic, and imaginary. The story plot and pacing are fine-tuned to the point of near perfection. In fact, this book had me hooked more than the first. It really is that good.

But it's not 5 stars. Why?

Morbidity. Surrealism. Grotesqueness. There are disturbing images and story lines. And to be frank, I just don't care for it. When I'm reading on the train, I feel like I need to hide the pages I'm reading to not offend someone sitting next to me. I shouldn't have to do that with a book. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |

Zulli, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Barker, CliveIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Busch, RobbieColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Dreams and visions are infused into men for their advantage and instruction..." -Artemidoros at Daldus, Oneirocritica Second Century A.D.
"Dreams are weird and stupid and they scare me." -Rose Walker April 1990
For Pete Atkins, Nick Vince, Anne and Kate Bobby for no particular reason (Neil Gaiman)
To GiGi, Paula and Eric (Mike Dringenberg)
To Malcolm Campbell (Malcolm Jones III)
There are tales that are told many times.
We do not murder for a profit. We do not murder for governments, or for hire. We kill to kill. We are entrepreneurs in an expanding field.

Collects "The Doll's House" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #9-16. Early editions also include "The Sound of Her Wings" from The Sandman #8.

New York Times best-selling author Neil Gaiman's transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision. During Morpheus's incarceration, three dreams escaped the Dreaming and are now loose in the waking world. At the same time, a young woman named Rose Walker is searching for her little brother. As their stories converge, a vortex is discovered that could destroy all dreamers, and the world itself. Features an introduction by Clive Barker. This volume includes issues 8-16 of the original series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

In the dream world of the Sandman, Rose Walker encounters many bizzare things in the doll's house, including a serial killer convention, long-lost relatives, and herself.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,435,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible