The Sandman: The Doll's House (1990)

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: Chris Bachalo (Illustrator), Clive Barker (Introduction), Robbie Busch (Colorist), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator)4 more, Todd Klein (Letterer), Dave McKean (Cover artist), Steve Parkhouse (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Illustrator)

Series: The Sandman (02 (Issues 9-16)), Sandman (TPB, issues 9-16)

7,556126957 (4.32)1 / 286
"The second installment of Neil Gaiman's seminal series, THE SANDMAN VOL. 2: THE DOLL'S HOUSE, celebrates its 30th anniversary with all all-new edition! New York Times best-selling author Neil Gaiman's transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision. During Morpheus's incarceration, three dreams escaped the Dreaming and are now loose in the waking world. At the same time, a young woman named Rose Walker is searching for her little brother. As their stories converge, a vortex is discovered that could destroy all dreamers, and the world itself."--… (more)

English (121)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (126)
Wow. Much better than book one, which wasn't too shabby either. The intertwining of the stories reveals a huge arc of imagination. Really spectacular. It was a little dodgy on the Kindle Fire. I had to revert to my daughter's hardcopy for a few pages. Old age, can't see anymore. ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
An actual graphic NOVEL with a storyline all the way through. I like it expanded on some characters from the first book. A great continuation of the series. There are many "dolls" here. ( )
  booklove2 | Jan 2, 2022 |
This volume is different from the first, the story is not so centered in the Sandman and more on side characters, some were mentioned in the previous book. It starts with a beautiful tale and there are lots of good stuff until the end. Totally worth my time. ( )
  Leonardo_ | Oct 29, 2021 |
Volume 1 didn't do this series justice. Now, with Volume 2, I get it. I understand what the hype is about. Still not massively fond of the art, but it's beginning to fit a bit better.

Would have been nice if Dringenberg (the artist) would have given a tip of the hat to the artist Patrick Nagel, seeing as how Desire is stolen from his style, and he also aped it for Chantal's dream sequence. I hate when one artist borrows from another without credit.

TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
I enjoyed the parts with the eternals, but the child molester plot and rape scenes really turned me off. ( )
1 vote livertalia | Aug 30, 2021 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parkhouse, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zulli, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Dreams and visions are infused into men for their advantage and instruction..." -Artemidoros at Daldus, Oneirocritica Second Century A.D.
"Dreams are weird and stupid and they scare me." -Rose Walker April 1990
For Pete Atkins, Nick Vince, Anne and Kate Bobby for no particular reason (Neil Gaiman)
To GiGi, Paula and Eric (Mike Dringenberg)
To Malcolm Campbell (Malcolm Jones III)
There are tales that are told many times. (Prologue)
May we open this celebration of the work in your hand by defining two kinds of fantastic fiction? (Introduction)
In the beginning...But of course we never see the beginning. (Preface)
There is only one thing to see in the twilight realm of desire.
Never apologize. (Afterword)
We do not murder for a profit. We do not murder for governments, or for hire. We kill to kill. We are entrepreneurs in an expanding field.

Collects "The Doll's House" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #9-16. Early editions also include "The Sound of Her Wings" from The Sandman #8.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,742,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible