HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
Loading...

The Bloody Chamber (1979)

by Angela Carter

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
4,0761131,888 (4.08)382
From familiar fairy tales and legends - Red Riding Hood, Bluebeard, Puss in Boots, Beauty and the Beast, vampires and werewolves - Angela Carter has created an absorbing collection of dark, sensual, fantastic stories.
Recently added byebear313, ardachy, Rob_J, private library, Ponyinc., slmr4242, KellyBurlingham, sulla2, sake, bujeya
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 382 mentions

English (114)  Spanish (1)  All languages (115)
Showing 1-5 of 114 (next | show all)
Just as brilliant after a second read (via Audible) as the first time. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
A bit disappointed in these stories, while sensuous in places overall I found them a bit vague and unrewarding. I appreciate that they are not retellings as such, of fairy tales, but rather in the spirit of such stories. However, I feel others such as Tanith Lee in her [b:Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer|302176|Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer|Tanith Lee|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1390157731s/302176.jpg|293240] execute the task in a more engaging and satisfying manner. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
Here is Angela Carter's feminist take on fairy tales. Macabre? Yes! But so are the original tales.

Carter's writing is perfect, evoking just the right mood for the spooky, yet making the fantastic seem real. You can catch elements of Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, and Little Red Riding Hood, albeit with some role reversals. Puss in Boots plays his tricks in a bawdy tale. Werewolves and a vampire make an appearance.

There are ten stories in this volume. Outstanding to me are The Bloody Chamber, Puss in Boots, The Erlking and The Company of Wolves. ( )
1 vote steller0707 | Aug 25, 2019 |

"La camera di sangue" è una rivisitazione delle fiabe della nostra infanzia in chiave adulta e gotica. Sono una decina di racconti che si ispirano alle favole più conosciute: Cappuccetto Rosso, la Bella e la Bestia, il Gatto con gli stivali (a mio parere una delle più interessanti), la Bella Addormentata nel bosco e Cappuccetto Rosso.
I racconti sono più o meno lunghi ma comunque efficaci nella resa delle immagini e delle sensazioni. L'autrice ha voluto scavare nei significati e nelle morali delle fiabe a cui siamo abituati per portare alla luce le sfaccettature che da piccoli comunque non avremmo potuto cogliere. La scrittura è molto particolare e passa da immagini dirette e inequivocabili (sopratutto riguardo al sesso e alle violenze) ad arzigogolati pensieri per esprimere concetti anche banali.
La figura femminile, inoltre, viene spesso denigrata o comunque portata ad un livello molto basso di considerazione ma riesce comunque ad uscirne vincitrice.
A mio parere i racconti che mi hanno colpita di più sono quello del Gatto con gli stivali (crudo ma il più astuto e ironico) o l'ultimo ovvero Lupo-Alice, Cappuccetto Rosso e Alice nel Paese delle Meraviglie si fondono per dare vita alla storia dell'evoluzione di una bambina cresciuta tra i Lupi che diventa donna inserita nel contesto degli umani.
Se posso muovere una critica personale, mi aspettavo che fosse molto più horror e splatter e invece la scelta stilistica è proprio indirizzata alle metafore e alle riflessioni. La riuscita è comunque ottima!

( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
I often struggle with short stories. This collection is no exception to that rule. I listened to this via audiobook narrated by Emilia Fox and Richard Armitage. I'm not a fan of Emilia Fox as a narrator, but I love Richard Armitage. That being said, the narrators are the only reason I plowed my way through this, and even then, I had to listen at 1.25 X speed because I just did not enjoy the tales. These are dark fairy tale retellings, probably true to the spirit of the originals unlike Disney retellings, but they were a little too dark and sexually explicit for me. I didn't expect the blatant and often brutal sexuality that ran through almost all of these tales, and it was off-putting. ( )
  DGRachel | Apr 2, 2019 |
Showing 1-5 of 114 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (38 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Carter, Angelaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Armitage, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bikadoroff, RoxannaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fox, EmiliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karash, IgorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanati, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsh, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simpson, HelenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, MarinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
I remember how, that night, I lay awake in the wagon-lit in a tender, delicious ecstasy of excitement, my burning cheek pressed against the impeccable linen of the pillow and the pounding of my heart mimicking that of the great pistons ceaselessly thrusting the train that bore me through the night, away from Paris, away from girlhood, away from the white, enclosed quietude of my mother's apartment, into the unguessable country of marriage.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Information from the Italian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

No library descriptions found.

Book description
From familiar fairy tales and legends -- Red Riding Hood, Bluebeard, Puss-in-Boots, Beauty and the Beast, vampires, werewolves -- Angela Carter has created an absorbing collection of dark, sensual, fantastic stories. -- from the back of the book

Contents:
The Bloody Chamber
The Courtship of Mr Lyon
The Tiger's Bride
Puss-in-Boots
The Erl-King
The Snow Child
The Lady of the House of Love
The Werewolf
The Company of Wolves
Wolf-Alice
Haiku summary

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.08)
0.5 1
1 9
1.5 2
2 32
2.5 14
3 143
3.5 49
4 309
4.5 52
5 336

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,935,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible