The Talisman (1970)

by Stephen King, Peter Straub

Series: The Talisman Series (1)

8,582104723 (4.01)1 / 199
On a brisk autumn day, a twelve-year-old boy stands on the shores of the gray Atlantic, near a silent amusement park and a fading ocean resort called the Alhambra. The past has driven Jack Sawyer here: his father is gone, his mother is dying, and the world no longer makes sense. But for Jack everything is about to change. For he has been chosen to make a journey back across America--and into another realm.… (more)
    Black House by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (deandroid)
    The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)

English (99)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (104)
Listened to while on my Commute to work

I originally started this book back in October and gave up about a third of the way through due to the book not really being that interesting to me - I could never really care about Jack or what he was doing because it seemed like there was never a great description of what was going on - just what Jack was thinking in his head.

It got confusing at times and hard to follow so I put it down and moved on to the next book in my list (The Dark Tower 3 - The Waste Lands) and was more than excited to read that.

After finishing 3 I came back to this (after reading the first couple chapters of Wizard and Glass) after seeing the differences in the Waste Lands and the beginning of this book.

Now while it did get more interesting ( The Sunlight Home was the best part in my opinion) it was certainly a struggle to get through especially at the end. I am happy that I finished it but it really was a drag.

I didn't care about the characters, nothing really seemed to be happening, the things that did happen were really out there and strange.

Overall I am happy its over and I'm not really looking forward to the second part Black House. ( )
  jhavens12 | Sep 1, 2021 |
This book was recommended by Amanda. Let's hope it is better than the one I picked...stupid vampires...
  LuckyWitter | Apr 22, 2021 |
Sinopsis
Jack Sawyer es un adolescente enfrentado a un arriesgado desafío: para salvar a su madre moribunda deberá emprender el viaje más alucinante de su vida. ( )
  Aido2021 | Apr 9, 2021 |
3.75* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Excellent straight fantasy by King. This isn't horror or part horror and fantasy, more straight fantasy. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 18, 2021 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Straub, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Benini, MilenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, ChristelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Well, when Tom and me got to the edge of the hilltop, we looked away down into the village and could see three or four lights twinkling, where there was sick folks, may be; and stars over us was sparkling ever so fine; and down by the village was the river, a whole mile broad, and awful still and grand. -Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn
My new clothes was all greased up and clayey, and I was dog-tired. -Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn
The book is for Ruth King, Elvena Straub
On September 15th, 1981, a boy named Jack Sawyer stood where the water and land come together, hands in the pockets of his jeans, looking out at the steady Atlantic.

AR Level 6.2, 42 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,397,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible