Pattern Recognition (2003)

by William Gibson

Series: Blue Ant (1)

8,193159769 (3.81)112
Cayce Pollard, a design consultant, is on the trail of the creator of Internet videos that have attained a worldwide cult following. As she draws closer to the truth, Cayce's life is threatened by those who will stop at nothing to protect the secret of the videos.
    Zero History by William Gibson (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A new cycle of work from a master future prediction.
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (S_Meyerson)
    Spook Country by William Gibson (Anonymous user)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (sturlington)
    JPod by Douglas Coupland (verenka)
    Jennifer Government by Max Barry (mcuquet)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (grizzly.anderson)
    Strange Flesh by Michael Olson (InvisiblerMan)
    So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (souci)
    souci: Same idea of cool-hunting, all about surface, yet with appearances that are deceiving.
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (sparemethecensor)

English (154)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (159)
I first read this book many years ago and enjoyed it even more this time around. I find myself analyzing Gibson's amazing writing style as much as I enjoy the story itself. I think he could make an interesting story about any obscure subject. This is definitely the best book of the 3 (Spook Country, Zero History). ( )
  hvector | Jul 10, 2021 |

I haven't read a lot of William Gibson's non-cyberpunk books, so I was expecting this story to take a turn towards the Sci-Fi for about a third of this volume. Instead, it remained a modern-day mystery with a bit of internet detail and very well-drawn characters. This book was written in 2001/2002, so it is unsurprising that it touches on the events of September 11, 2001 in a very direct way. I would've expected that to interfere with my enjoyment of a book, but in this case the author handled it in a way that made the story more impactful, not less.

The book started slow for me, and really didn't pick up momentum until about 2/3 through. There were some details in the story, especially aspects of the characters, that struck me as unrealistic, but none of them were dealbreakers. For instance, the main character is a tech-savvy brand-phobic marketing guru who is intensely aware of and interested in coolness. Someone like that would not, in 2002, use hotmail.

Overall, I'm not interested enough to read another book in this series, but this one wrapped up neatly enough that I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

New words and phrases I learned from this book:
Gimlet eyed: A piercing gaze (a gimlet being a tool that bores holes)
apophenia: they spontaneous perception of connections and meaningfulness in unrelated things
crepuscular: of or resembling twilight
noren: traditional Japanese fabric dividers, hung between rooms, on walls, in doorways, or in windows.
evert: turn outward or inside out ( )
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
An excellent book with an amazingly well-drawn main character. The ending itself seemed kind of sudden, but so much of the book up to that point was so excellent, it is easy to overlook this minor fault. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
Not great, but fine. Sort of Pynchon-lite minus the screwball. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
Do you live in the 21st century?
Do you have a computer?
Have you ever seen an advertisement?
Do you believe that if you saw a floating silver robotic penguin, it would be because those really exist, rather than a hallucination?
Read this book then. ( )
  david_elliott | Jan 3, 2021 |
"In this, he is basically a conservative author; he doesn't really want to engage with the possibilities of the post-human. His chosen form, the novel, doesn't allow him to do this."
added by bookfitz | editThe Guardian, Toby Litt (Apr 26, 2003)

"Gibson's best book since Mona Lisa Overdrive should satisfy his hardcore fans while winning plenty of new ones."
added by bookfitz | editPublishers Weekly (Jan 20, 2003)

''Pattern Recognition'' considers these issues with appealing care and, given that this best-selling author is his own kind of franchise, surprising modesty.

"A slick but surprisingly humane piece of work from the father of cyberpunk."
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (Nov 15, 2002)

William Gibsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Achilles,GretchenText Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ebert, DietrichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frasier, ShellyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gálla, NóraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heras, MartaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herløv Petersen, ArneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holfelder-von der Tann, CorneliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raphan, BenitaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuenke, ChristaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Jack
Five hours' New York jet lag and Cayce Pollard wakes in Camden Town to the dire and ever-circling wolves of disrupted circadian rhythm.
"Nothing like genderbait for the nerds as I'm sure you well know."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,277,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible