Pattern Recognition (2003)

by William Gibson

Series: Blue Ant (1)

Cayce Pollard, a design consultant, is on the trail of the creator of Internet videos that have attained a worldwide cult following. As she draws closer to the truth, Cayce's life is threatened by those who will stop at nothing to protect the secret of the videos.
    Zero History by William Gibson (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A new cycle of work from a master future prediction.
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (S_Meyerson)
    Spook Country by William Gibson (Anonymous user)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (sturlington)
    JPod by Douglas Coupland (verenka)
    Jennifer Government by Max Barry (mcuquet)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (grizzly.anderson)
    Strange Flesh by Michael Olson (InvisiblerMan)
    So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (souci)
    souci: Same idea of cool-hunting, all about surface, yet with appearances that are deceiving.
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (sparemethecensor)

English (159)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (164)
It's a section lifted out of the life of the main character. There's not so much with the traditional beginning, buildup, climax, and end. The flow of the book isn't as severe as you'd generally expect, and seems less forced because of it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The references to East Lansing, Michigan, where I work, were icing on the cake. ( )
  dcrampton | Apr 20, 2022 |
Set a few minutes in the future, this is the story about marketing, paranoia, stalking, and crime. For me, a lot better than Neuromancer ( )
  nordie | Apr 18, 2022 |
I give this three instead of two stars only because Gibson had some lovely prose in this work, some excellent turns of phrase, moments where I went, "Ooh, that was nice." It felt like reading a Murakami novel, except Gibson remains too Western, and the inchoate mood never quite settled correctly. Murakami gets away with this somehow, drawing a plot and a character along a plot as through a dream. But I wanted something more concrete from Gibson. In particular, I was annoyed that Cayce's "allergy" didn't play more of a central role – it provided emotional subtext for her, but in the end seemed like a cool idea Gibson imagined, but couldn't figure out how to properly exploit. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
This took a while to build on me but it definitely has Gibson's signature world building weirdness. Not as prophetic as neuromancer but it still has that same cyberpunk noir setting I love. In a world not unlike our own in the not at all future. Looking forward to reading more. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
"In this, he is basically a conservative author; he doesn't really want to engage with the possibilities of the post-human. His chosen form, the novel, doesn't allow him to do this."
added by bookfitz | editThe Guardian, Toby Litt (Apr 26, 2003)

"Gibson's best book since Mona Lisa Overdrive should satisfy his hardcore fans while winning plenty of new ones."
added by bookfitz | editPublishers Weekly (Jan 20, 2003)

''Pattern Recognition'' considers these issues with appealing care and, given that this best-selling author is his own kind of franchise, surprising modesty.

"A slick but surprisingly humane piece of work from the father of cyberpunk."
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (Nov 15, 2002)

William Gibsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Achilles,GretchenText Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ebert, DietrichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frasier, ShellyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gálla, NóraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heras, MartaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herløv Petersen, ArneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holfelder-von der Tann, CorneliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raphan, BenitaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuenke, ChristaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Jack
Five hours' New York jet lag and Cayce Pollard wakes in Camden Town to the dire and ever-circling wolves of disrupted circadian rhythm.
"Nothing like genderbait for the nerds as I'm sure you well know."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,831,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible