Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1958)

by Truman Capote

1,314285,924 (3.76)1 / 153

English (17)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Japanese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (28)
What an odd little story, but it makes me want to watch the movie again. ( )
  spounds | Feb 10, 2015 |
The story of Holly Golightly (traveling). This is another of several books for me that features despair and nothing. Holly had no attachments, nothing was permanent. She was an identity she created as she went. She never names her cat. Her life was not permanent. The narrator tells us this story, he is unnamed aspiring author (could it be Truman Capote). The various characters had funny names Trawler, Tomato, Spanella. This novella is a quick and interesting read but more famously known for the movie of the same title starring Audrey Hepburn. It’s the third work of the author’s that I’ve read and I’ve enjoyed them all.

First Words: I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods.

Last words: Flanked by potted plants and framed by clean lace curtains, he was seated in the window of a warm-looking room: I wondered what his name was, for I was certain he had one now, certain he'd arrived somewhere he belonged. African hut or whatever, I hope Holly has, too. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 19, 2014 |
I loved this book. I loved Holly. She has so much life it makes it possible to forgive her faults. I watched the movie again when I finished the book and was struck by a lot of the changes. The narrator's mistress and the opulence of his flat were quite startling. However, it is still such a great story with New York itself as a glittering character, that I really enjoyed it, I definitely much prefer the book and would love to have seen Audrey Hepburn portray Holly as she was really written. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Sep 1, 2014 |
I'm sure this was really risque back when it was first published. It might still be risque to some groups today. Though to many people now a flighty, promiscuous girl wouldn't be that big of a deal. Still it's very enjoyable. Of the 3 short stories the first seemed to end abruptly and the second was kind of blah. It was the third, A Christmas Memory, that really blew me away. The relationship between the young boy ("Buddy") and the child-like elderly woman who's his cousin is so well-done and heartbreaking.

That is all. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Funny, moving, brilliantly written; the characterization is marvellous - you can see, hear and almost smell them all. This edition just has the one novella (I also have a paperback which includes three other short stories) and is attractively illustrated. ( )
  overthemoon | Sep 12, 2013 |

Murillo, EnriqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterson, MarieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zerning, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jack Dunphy
This entry should contain copies containing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" ONLY - please beware that there are very common editions containing this short novel as well as three stories (which is often not noted on the cover!)! Thanks!

The story follows a young writer and his memory of an eccentric, charming call girl named Holly Golightly in Manhattan's Upper East Side.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067960085X, Hardcover)

Contains:

Breakfast at Tiffany's
House of Flowers
A Diamond Guitar
A Christmas Memory

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:18 -0400)

Who exactly is Miss Holly Golightly, Travelled? Adored, hated, wildly fascinating, extremely irritating - she is all of these things. In addition to the novella there are three short stories: House of Flowers. A Diamond Guitar and A Christmas Memory. All demonstrate Capote's genius for evoking mood, scene and worlds within minds.… (more)

Current discussions

June 2015: Truman Capote in Monthly Author Reads

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,996,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible