Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1958)

by Truman Capote

1,460325,128 (3.73)1 / 153

English (19)  Spanish (6)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Japanese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (32)
Truman Capote's classic story of Holly Golightly in Manhattan is the Great Gatsby of the early 1940s. Or is it 1950s? Capote set the story in 1943, but at points it bleeds into the 1950s, the period in which he was writing. Like Gatsby, Holly is an enigmatic character observed by the narrator and, like Gatsby, she appears to breeze through life without a concern.
Those familiar with the story from the 1961 film directed by Blake Edwards will likely find the novella hard to approach. I had seen the film first, myself, and found the book to have a very different feel. While many of the same events still occur, there are several plot points that didn't make it to the movie since the Production Code still held sway in 1961. As a fan of the film, I miss the happy ending, but Capote's ambiguity better matches the spirit of the story as he wrote it.
This Folio Society edition features gorgeous artwork by Karen Klassen. In a stroke of brilliance, Klassen always portrays the unnamed narrator in shadow or as a void. Long-time fans of the movie might not enjoy Capote's original novella as much, but it fits into the same great pantheon of literature as The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye. ( )
1 vote DarthDeverell | Dec 18, 2015 |
I am frequently ambivalent about audiobooks in general, but this one is absolutely brilliantly done: https://polloplayer.wordpress.com/2015/09/05/tiffanys-breakfast-me-truman-and-michael-c-hall-in-nyc/

Hall does justice to Capote, Holly Golightly and 20th century American literature. ( )
  AmourFou | Sep 5, 2015 |
What an odd little story, but it makes me want to watch the movie again. ( )
  spounds | Feb 10, 2015 |
The story of Holly Golightly (traveling). This is another of several books for me that features despair and nothing. Holly had no attachments, nothing was permanent. She was an identity she created as she went. She never names her cat. Her life was not permanent. The narrator tells us this story, he is unnamed aspiring author (could it be Truman Capote). The various characters had funny names Trawler, Tomato, Spanella. This novella is a quick and interesting read but more famously known for the movie of the same title starring Audrey Hepburn. It’s the third work of the author’s that I’ve read and I’ve enjoyed them all.

First Words: I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods.

Last words: Flanked by potted plants and framed by clean lace curtains, he was seated in the window of a warm-looking room: I wondered what his name was, for I was certain he had one now, certain he'd arrived somewhere he belonged. African hut or whatever, I hope Holly has, too. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 19, 2014 |
I loved this book. I loved Holly. She has so much life it makes it possible to forgive her faults. I watched the movie again when I finished the book and was struck by a lot of the changes. The narrator's mistress and the opulence of his flat were quite startling. However, it is still such a great story with New York itself as a glittering character, that I really enjoyed it, I definitely much prefer the book and would love to have seen Audrey Hepburn portray Holly as she was really written. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Sep 1, 2014 |

Murillo, EnriqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterson, MarieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zerning, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jack Dunphy
This entry should contain copies containing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" ONLY - please beware that there are very common editions containing this short novel as well as three stories (which is often not noted on the cover!)! Thanks!

The story follows a young writer and his memory of an eccentric, charming call girl named Holly Golightly in Manhattan's Upper East Side.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067960085X, Hardcover)

Contains:

Breakfast at Tiffany's
House of Flowers
A Diamond Guitar
A Christmas Memory

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:18 -0400)

Who exactly is Miss Holly Golightly, Travelled? Adored, hated, wildly fascinating, extremely irritating - she is all of these things. In addition to the novella there are three short stories: House of Flowers. A Diamond Guitar and A Christmas Memory. All demonstrate Capote's genius for evoking mood, scene and worlds within minds.… (more)

112 wanted4 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,257,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible