The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (1791)

by Benjamin Franklin

Charming self-portrait covers boyhood, work as a printer, political career, scientific experiments, much more. Its openness, honesty, and readable style have made the "Autobiography" one of the great classics of the genre.
    Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson (Othemts)
    Common Sense by Thomas Paine (Teresa_Pelka)
    Teresa_Pelka: Paths by Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine parted, in their living experience. The names continue together in history, for the role both men had in American independence.
    The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin by H. W. Brands (John_Vaughan)

English (88)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (90)
Bottom line: You should read this if you want to see BF's personality and hear his voice. This book gave me a sneak peek into his humor and personality and I'm so glad I read (listened to) it.

However, if you're looking for a riveting, non-rambling read, this ain't it. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
What a neat guy! There's a lot to say here about the value of honesty and industriousness. The book is feel-good chicken soup for the soul and the first 65% of this book is utterly fantastic. You should go read it now. Go!

And then it gets boring and starts talking more about events than about the man himself. The ending is unsatisfying. Blue-balled by Benjamin Franklin again. ( )
  isovector | Dec 13, 2020 |
Hilarious and interesting! A classic. ( )
  askannakarenina | Sep 16, 2020 |
Benjamin Franklin is such a fascinating man. I am humbled by what he was able to accomplish in his lifetime. He involved himself in all aspects of life. While I thought I knew a lot about his accomplishments, his autobiography opened my eyes to a lot more. I picked up The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin to meet part of Modern Mrs. Darcy reading challenge. I had to read a book from the backlist of a new favorite author. In his book, How to Win Friends & Influence People, Dale Carnegie repeatedly referenced Ben Franklin. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
An informative, illuminating and fun to read account of the life of one of the founding fathers

Autobiography starts as a personal letter and is thus a very personal and interesting recounting of Franklin's early years. The latter part is far more formal being by then a work intended for publication. Both parts still retain the wit and candor of Benjamin Franklin. The book presents us a man of great industry, intellect and with a dedication to the good of his fellows. A very good read for anyone interested in reading about a great man. ( )
  Miguel.Arvelo | Jun 9, 2020 |

Wayne, FreddNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wecter, DixonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziff, LarzerEditor.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My writing.
Dear Son, —I have ever had pleasure in obtaining any little anecdotes of my ancestors.
A stitch in time saves nine
[My father] convinced me that nothing was useful which was not honest.
This is "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin", by Benjamin Franklin. Please do not combine with the Franklin/Woolman/Penn volume from The Harvard Classics.

A penny saved is
A penny earned, sayeth Poor
Richard. No stamp tax!
(bertilak)

Legacy Library: Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Benjamin Franklin's legacy profile.

See Benjamin Franklin's author page.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300098588, 0300001479

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101689, 1400108985

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,315,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible