Sylvia Plath: The Collected Poems

by Sylvia Plath

Other authors: Ted Hughes (Editor), Ted Hughes (Introduction)

Contains in sequence all the poetry written by the author from 1956 until her suicide in 1963, together with fifty selections from her pre-1956 work.

Beautiful and dark. It's a lot to get through (it took me several months!), and maybe you shouldn't try to read through someone's entire collection all at once, but I really enjoy her style.

A few favorites:
Poppies in October
Years
Edge ( )
  AdioRadley | Jan 21, 2024 |
Very interesting collection of poems. Having recently read the Bell Jar was curious to see her poetry and to see if there was any hints (especially in her later poems) of the depression that would consume her. I didn't see anything. ( )
  wahoo8895 | Nov 20, 2022 |
An incredibly powerful poet, and well curated collection. Despite what I've seen from some other reviewers (no hard feelings) I loved the early work. It seems to me like some of the beginning poet are of a poet who is speaking more directly, in messy but powerful terms. Then there's a lagging stretch in the middle, as a more refined voice is being searched for. Of course the ending stretch, in 1962 and 1963, contains some of the most visceral poetry I've read. Plath isn't "just" a confessional poet; the incredible anger in much of her work has a powerful effect.

It's a phenomenal collection to dig through in chunks, I wouldn't recommend skimming simply because a lot of poems really don't land unless you allow it to command your attention. ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |
This was an intriguing and interesting collection of poetry. While many of them did not resonate with me, those that did were powerful and encompassing in their scope. Plath was a good poet, and she understood (and applied) her techniques and skill-set well. Who knows what she would have written had she not met her tragic fate.

3 stars- worth reading! ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jun 12, 2019 |
I can’t tell you how exactly, but a high school boy discovered poetry through the perspective of a women’s despairing domestic life in the 50’s/60’s. The tone and description of brilliant mundanedeath images was the initial enticement. Beyond the subject matter, her form was an introduction and a revelation for me. “It doesn’t rhyme at the end of the lines and this is poetry!?” When it comes down to it, it’s the assonance and alliteration. They still influence me to this day. I return to some of these regularly and have an audiobook of her reading thepoems that really delivers. ( )
1 vote starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |

Plath, Sylviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, TedEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, TedIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muir, DonnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thoughts are crabbed and sallow, My tears like vinegar, Or the bitter blinking yellow Of an acetic star

Legacy Library: Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sylvia Plath's legacy profile.

See Sylvia Plath's author page.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,030,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible