The Collected Poems by Sylvia Plath

The Collected Poems (1981)

by Sylvia Plath

This is a beautiful collection of Plath's poetry. While the poems themselves are hit and miss, there's little denying the skill displayed there. My 5-star rating is related to the cross-section where the quality of her work meets the format of the book.

This is a chronological collection, presenting her poetry in the order it was written - not in an order she set for it in a collection (such as was the case for The Colossus and Ariel), nor in an order reshuffled by a secondary set of hands after her death. There are some notes in the back for some of the poems - an exhaustive annotated version might be even better, but would get quickly unwieldy, in light of the amount of journals we have extant from Plath's life.

jennaelf | Jan 5, 2016 |
I really like her later work better and her domestic-themed poems are truly the best with one exception, "Daddy." Not a happy camper; it's truly not surprising to me that she finally succumbed to depression and killed herself. Favorites - "Metaphors," "Cat," "Daddy," "Lesbos," "Lady Lazurus," etc. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 13, 2014 |
Favorite female poet.
  Efficacious | Aug 24, 2013 |
One of my favourite poems is one I had to study for my final A Level exam: "Mirror". Her use of imagery is amazing. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Plath cut through the poetic drowse of the 60's like a knife. I first read her in mimeographed handouts, and then in a spread in the New Yorker..but by then she was dead. Precision, a great ear, a great mythos. ( )
  jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |

Sylvia Plathprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, TedEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thoughts are crabbed and sallow, My tears like vinegar, Or the bitter blinking yellow Of an acetic star

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060909005, Perfect Paperback)

Sylvia Plath died in 1963, and even now her outsize persona threatens to bury her poetry--the numerous biographies and studies often drawing the reader toward anecdote and away from the work. It's a relief to turn to the poems themselves and once more be jolted by their strange beauty, hard-wrought originality, and acetylene anger. "It is a heart, / This holocaust I walk in, / O golden child the world will kill and eat." While the juvenilia and poems written before 1960 that Ted Hughes has included here prefigure Plath's later obsessions, they also enable us to witness her turn from thesaurus-heavy verse to stripped-down art as they gather power through raw simplicity. "The blood jet is poetry. / There is no stopping it," she declares in "Kindness."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

A complete collection of Sylvia Plath's poetry.

Legacy Library: Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sylvia Plath's legacy profile.

See Sylvia Plath's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,782,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible