The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons

The House Next Door (1978)

by Anne Rivers Siddons

8793016,212 (3.74)1 / 73
Thirtysomething Colquitt and Walter Kennedy live in a charming, peaceful suburb of newly bustling Atlanta, Georgia. Life is made up of enjoyable work, long, lazy weekends, and the company of good neighbors. Then, to their shock, construction starts on the vacant lot next door, a wooded hillside they'd believed would always remain undeveloped. Disappointed by their dimished privacy, Colquitt and Walter soon realize something more is wrong with the house next door. Surely the house can't be "haunted" yet it seems to destroy the goodness of every person who comes to live in it, until the entire heart of this friendly neighborhood threatens to be torn apart.… (more)
Recently added byvonbutterman, private library, lazybee, rena75, jonathancaouette, mcnabbp
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (sturlington, andomck)
    The Shining by Stephen King (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix (andomck)
    The Invited by Jennifer McMahon (flying_monkeys)
    flying_monkeys: One often thinks of haunted houses as an existing structure corrupted by the actions of its inhabitants. Here's a slightly different take on the traditional haunted house story.

This work of Southern gothic / horror fiction is a little slow to start but once it gets going it's riveting!

Colquitt and Walter Kennedy live in a lovely home in a friendly Atlanta suburb. They and their neighbors visit one another regularly, enjoy cocktails after work, play tennis on weekends, and attend parties at various homes. The Kennedys are pleased to live next door to a vacant lot whose narrowness and ravined terrain have always ensured it stays vacant, an oasis of natural beauty in their neighborhood. Until a young couple hires a hot-shot architect who designs a spectacular house that seems to just grow out of the land. The house is still under construction when odd things start to happen. Not just odd, but downright malevolent and horrific.

I stayed up way too late a couple of nights "waiting for that other shoe to drop." It left me on edge and vaguely anxious; spooked by noises in the night (or in the daytime). Reminds me of the hoopla around [book:The Amityville Horror|325534] - a book I read when it first came out in the late '70s. A perfect Halloween read! ( )
  BookConcierge | Nov 15, 2019 |
What a wonderful surprise! A different genre from my favorite "low country" author! Written originally in 1978, I was thrown off by the fact that it is listed on the cover as "THE STEPHEN KING HORROR LIBRARY." I kept looking at the author's name, the cover, and the author's credits. After establishing it was the same Anne Rivers Siddons, I plunged in. What a suspenseful story, written in the same, sweet as honey on a warm biscuit style of Siddons. It is about THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR and the incidents there. I would recommend it for men or women for a nice escape! ( )
  LivelyLady | Jul 10, 2019 |
This is a modern possessed house classic.

I first read this when I was about 10 or 11 and remember that it really creeped me out. So, now thirty years later I've reread it.

It still is a very creepy tale, not in your face horror but a more old fashioned(it came out in 1978)kind full of tension, and a genuine escalating feeling of eerieness. The evil is evident throughout.

The author writes with an assurance that is uncommon with first novels
and rare with these kind of atmospheric horror novels. It's a shame she hasn't written more in this genre(she writes bestsellers of general fiction,often labeled chick'lit or romance. There also seems to be a critique of upper middle class running throughout the novel(the novel is set in a well to do area) and the differences between the "sheltered and privilaged" set and the "big mac eating and polyester wearing" set. ( )
1 vote phollis68 | Apr 9, 2019 |
A uniquely chilling take on the haunted house genre, about a house that takes rather than provides to its occupants.

The close is a little abrupt; I would have enjoyed more insight into the final development and its emotional weight, but overall I loved this. ( )
  KLmesoftly | Nov 18, 2018 |
Probably one of the slowest moving horror novels I have ever read. Basic premise: house destroys lives of those who buy it and those who get close to the owners. Great premise, but I had to slog through it. ( )
  bookwormteri | May 31, 2018 |

Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Song, JaeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sothoron, Karen HendricksonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Annalee
People like us don't appear in People magazine. (Prologue)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,314,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible