The Shining (1977)

by Stephen King

Series: The Shining (1)

19,219396168 (4.12)2 / 887
Jack Torrance's new job at the Overlook Hotel is the perfect chance for a fresh start. As the off-season caretaker at the atmospheric old hotel, he'll have plenty of time to spend reconnecting with his family and working on his writing. But as the harsh winter weather sets in, the idyllic location feels ever more remote . . . and more sinister. And the only one to notice the strange and terrible forces gathering around the Overlook is Danny Torrance, a uniquely gifted five-year-old.… (more)
Recently added bySugarThief, eudoh, mwbows, ReaderWriterRunner, Chewby, FusionLF, private library, Rennie80, VictorSage
1970s (14)
Ghosts (15)

English (379)  Italian (5)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (396)
After years of not having read The Shining because the movie frightened me so much, I finally did read this novel in preparation to read Doctor Sleep. Perhaps it's true that you should always read the book first because I felt it lost something against the movie. I expected to be frightened out of my wits and I just wasn't. The suspense was fantastic but I do feel as if I lost something from seeing the film first.

Still highly recommended. ( )
  SkeezixReviewsBooks | Jul 20, 2021 |
Finally I managed to finish this one. I have had it on my TBR list so many times but now it is read. A great story, classic horror. Jack has a bad temper. His wife Wendy is thinking of divorce. Their son Danny has the gift. Jack has lost jobs because of his drinking and his temper and he has this job to caretake a resort over the winter when it will be cut off from civilization. Wendy and Danny agree to go, each hoping that this will restore their family.The hotel is a character as well and it is the hotel that is haunted/possessed. I found the story to be engaging and it was easy to listen to the narration by [[Campbell Scott]]. Rated 3.8
1977. ( )
  Kristelh | Jul 12, 2021 |
Jack Torrence and his wife Wendy decide to take a job as a caretaker for the infamous Overlook Hotel. With the snow comes silence and this is what Jack needs most to finish his Great American Novel. Neither of them know there are dark forces at play in the hotel, but their young son, Danny knows. Danny has the Shinning. Dark forces are taking over his father and Danny is helpless to stop it. This isn't the true horror story though. The true story is the slow decline of their family. ( )
  amoderndaybelle | May 27, 2021 |
I thought I read this book in my teens but the farther I got into it, the more certain I became that I hadn't. I would have remembered how well done Jack's descent into madness was. For me, that was the best part of the book. I did enjoy Danny's parts of the book, and Wendy's to a lesser extent, but the star of the show was Jack's changes and his growing connection to the hotel.

I think my biggest shock was just how different Kubrick's film is to the novel. I need to watch the movie again since I don't remember a lot of the details. That and the insane number of times the N-word was used. I wasn't expecting it and it really put me off.

I listened to the audio book and initially Campbell Scott's calm tone made me wonder if I wouldn't fall asleep while reading. Luckily, he got down to business when the dialogue and more intense narration called for it. He did a really good job.

I don't know if it was just the audio book and there were clearer demarcations in the physical book, but I was throw off regularly which POV switches. There were a few times when I had to rewind to see if I either missed something or to figure out who was sharing info.

I'm glad I read this one. It won't end up on my all-time favorite Stephen King list but I enjoyed the story. 3.5 stars for me. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Man, I love this book. Much like how the movie was the first horror movie I saw from start to finish, the book was the first adult book I ever read, this fat paperback with a black cover I kept trying to hide while I read it in church and during long meals with family friends (I was that kind of an antisocial child). Because I love this book so much, you can’t trust anything I say about it but, man, it’s great. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dell'Orto, AdrianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, CampbellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,377,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible