A Pale View of Hills (1982)

by Kazuo Ishiguro

2,649764,395 (3.69)1 / 317
The story of Etsuko, a Japanese woman now living alone in England, dwelling on the recent suicide of her daughter. In a story where past and present confuse, she relives scenes of Japan's devastation in the wake of World War II.Copyright © Libri GmbH. All rights reserved.

English (70)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (76)
A Pale View of the Hills (Faber) is Kazuo Ishiguro’s first novel, initially published in 1982. Etsuko lives in the UK but looks back to her earlier life in post war, and post atom bomb, Nagasaki. A change emerges between traditional Japanese values and the familial relationships, and the ‘Western’ influences which appeared to influence the new generation. Her new life in England is not necessarily the better one she was seeking and has its own tragedy. Ishiguro’s beautifully simple prose disguises the enigmatic nature of the story that is being told on more than one level. ( )
  davidroche | Jan 20, 2022 |
Read in one sitting. After the ending, I will need to read again, possibly making it a 5 star. That ending though...
Update:

5 Stars ( )
  jaydenmccomiskie | Sep 27, 2021 |
I loved the feel of this book, I loved the writing and I loved the pace, but having read it, I’ve still no idea what it is about. ( )
  KittyCatrinCat | Aug 29, 2021 |
Comment: Phew! powerful and mysterious and elusive – an undertaking which I must pursue again some time, as I couldn't persist with more than about a 1/3 of the audiobook. Not what I expected. ( )
  Okies | Feb 18, 2021 |
if I was less tired and was able to pay attention this would ha e got a higher rating. may reread when bright and attentive. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
A Pale View of Hills is eery and tenebrous. It is a ghost story, but the narrator, Etsuko, does not realize that. She is the widow of an Englishman, and lives alone and rather desolate in an English country house. Her elder daughter, Keiko, the child of her Japanese first husband, killed herself some years before. The novel opens during a visit from her younger daughter, Niki, the child of her English second husband. Etsuko recalls her past, but Niki, a brusque, emancipated Western girl, is not very sympathetic. Her visit is uncomfortable and uncomforting, and she cuts it short: not only because of the lack of rapport with her mother, but because she can't sleep. Keiko's unseen ghost keeps her awake.
added by kidzdoc | editThe New York Rview of Books, Gabriele Annan (pay site) (Dec 7, 1989)

''A Pale View of Hills'' is Kazuo Ishiguro's first novel. Its characters, whose bursts of self-knowledge and honesty erase their inspired self-deceptions only briefly, are remarkably convincing. It is filled with surprise and written with considerable charm. But what one remembers is its balance, halfway between elegy and irony.

Ishiguro, Kazuoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kendall, RoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niki, the name we finally gave my younger daughter, is not an abbreviation; it was a compromise I reached with her father.
It doesn’t matter how old someone is, it’s what they’ve experienced that counts. People can get to be a hundred and not experience a thing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,337,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible