Brick Lane (2003)

by Monica Ali

Set in the gritty Tower Hamlets area of East London, Brick Laneis the story of Nazneen, an Asian immigrant girl and how she deals with issues of love, cultural differences and the human spirit. Nazneen is forced into an arranged marriage with a much older man whose expectations of life are miserably low. When they flee the oppression of their Bangladeshi village for a high-rise block in the East End, she finds herself cloistered and dependent on her husband. It soon becomes apparent that of the two, she is the real survivor and more able to deal with the ways of the world and the vagaries of human behavior. Through her friendship with another Asian girl, she begins to understand the unsettling ways of her new homeland.… (more)
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (Booksloth)
    Small Island by Andrea Levy (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both these excellent novels examine the issues of immigration and assimilation in England, though the cultures and backgrounds are different.
    Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (hbsweet)
    The Road Home by Rose Tremain (bergs47)
    bergs47: Immigration and assimilation in England, from the view of the immigrant although one is from Eastern Europe and the other from Asia
    Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Boy with the Topknot: A Memoir of Love, Secrets and Lies in Wolverhampton by Sathnam Sanghera (KayCliff)

English (120)  French (3)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (125)
Really well-written and with great characterisation. I liked this book a lot but have sort of conflicted feelings about some of the themes. Read for Farewill book club, so maybe I'll have a better sense of it after our discussion this week. ( )
  krtierney | Jul 19, 2021 |
This book was shortlisted for the 2003 Man Booker prize and I've had a copy kicking around on my book shelves for at least 5 years so I decided it was time to read it. I really didn't think much of this and I am quite surprised that I managed to finish it. I kept hoping something would happen with the 2 main plot threads but they just fizzled out. I didn't really care for the main character Nazneen, she was very one dimensional compared to the other more colourful characters. I found the whole thing plodding and going nowhere. ( )
  Brian. | Apr 9, 2021 |
I started this book 2 years ago and was not able to get into it.

I started over and this time was able to easily read it. (proving my theory that some books must be read at the right time to really capture me)

A girl from rural Bangladesh is married to a Bengali man 20 yrs her senior and moves to London where he has been living for several years.

Story of learning to fit into different aspects of life: a marriage, a country, a family, and growing ones identity as an independent woman. All this is presented along with hopes and dreams of immigrants.

This is by no means a dark book, but it does paint a pretty dim view (may be a better choice of words is a contemplative or sober view) of the experience. There is not a lot of laughter and sunshine in this book. Yet overall a good read. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Are we left to our Fates, or can we find our own? Monica Ali explores this tension in her richly imagined novel, one that also imagines a life of safety versus a life of possibility. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
2009 (my review can be found on the LibraryThing post linked)
http://www.librarything.com/topic/54129#1325505 ( )
  dchaikin | Oct 4, 2020 |

Ali, Monicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Björkhem, AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perria, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watanabe, KyokoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Sternly, remorselessly, fate guides each of us; only at the beginning, when we're absorbed in details, in all sorts of nonsense, in ourselves, are we unaware of its harsh hand.' - Ivan Turgenev
'A man's character is his fate.' - Heraclitus
For Abba, with love
An hour and forty-five minutes before Nazneen's life began - began as it would proceed for quite some time, that is to say uncertainly - her mother Rupban felt an iron fist squeeze her belly.
Chanu stopped and looked in a shop window.'Seventy five pounds for that little bag. You couldn't fit even one book into it.'

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,462,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible