Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Interpreter of Maladies (1999)

by Jhumpa Lahiri

9,940223461 (4.08)1 / 293
Stories about Indians in India and America. The story, A Temporary Matter, is on mixed marriage, Mrs. Sen's is on the adaptation of an immigrant to the U.S., and in the title story an interpreter guides an American family through the India of their ancestors.
Recently added byJeeps, ejcaris, kkimball3103, private library, ErezMilgrom, bookooboox, KellyPetit, rmxwl, jmriowa

English (213)  Catalan (4)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (222)
Interpreter of Maladies was a collection of short stories dealing with Indian characters. Many of the protagonists are Indians who have immigrated to the United States, but not all of them took place outside India. In general I enjoy short story collections, lately though many of the stories I have been reading seem to end abruptly or left me feeling confused - this collection was a welcome relief from that trend. All of the characters are well developed and all of the stories felt like they communicated the author's point to me. Although I could easily read a novel about many of these characters, I was satisfied with story presented. Lahiri gives the reader a glimpse into Indian culture while at the same time making the characters reactions and feelings easy to relate to. While I appreciated the differences in their culture and my own, I was left with a feeling that despite these differences people are the same deep down inside - both the positive and negative aspects of humanity. I will definitely read more of Lahiri's work in the future. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 22, 2019 |
20th century American American literature Boston contemporary contemporary fiction culture family fiction immigrants immigration India Indian Indian fiction Indian literature Indian-American literature novel own Pulitzer Pulitzer Prize Pulitzer Prize Winner read short fiction short stories short story stories to-read unread USA
  ASUOWC | Jun 13, 2019 |
Indian
  JoshSapan | May 29, 2019 |
Larhiri's short stories take place either in the Boston area or in India. Most of them are melancholy. I liked them, but they didn't blow me away, just made me a little sad. The narrator seemed unfamiliar with the pronunciation of place names like Filene's and Mapparium. No problem with Nickelodeon though (I'd almost forgotten about that place!) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
A good collection of short stories set in different countries and cities. I like how the book ends with the last story - a couple who was matchmade learning to love one another in a land far from home. Touching. ( )
  siok | May 11, 2019 |
In this accomplished collection of stories, Jhumpa Lahiri traces the lives of people on two continents -- North America and India -- and in doing so announces herself as a wonderfully distinctive new voice. Indeed, Ms. Lahiri's prose is so eloquent and assured that the reader easily forgets that ''Interpreter of Maladies'' is a young writer's first book.

Jhumpa Lahiriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooley, StevenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahlström, EvaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Overholtzer, RobertDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sjöstrand, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents and for my sister
The notice informed them that it was a temporary matter: for five days their electricity would be cut off for one hour, beginning at eight P.M.
While the astronauts, heroes forever, spent mere hours on the moon, I have remained in this new world for nearly thirty years. I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and I am certainly not the first. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.
As stunned as I was, I knew what I had to say. With no hesitation at all, I cried out, "Splendid!"
In fact, the only thing that appeared three-dimensional about Boori Ma was her voice: brittle with sorrows, as tart as curds, and shrill enough to grate meat from a coconut.
He wondered if Mr. and Mrs. Das were a bad match, just as he and his wife were. Perhaps they, too, had little in common apart from three children and a decade of their lives. The signs he recognized from his own marriage were there--the bickering, the indifference, the protracted silences.
In its own way this correspondence would fulfill his dream, of serving as an interpreter between nations.

CONTENTS:
A Temporary Matter -- When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine -- Interpreter of Maladies -- A Real Durwan -- Sexy -- This Blessed House -- The Treatment of Bibi Haldar -- The Third and Final Continent

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,166,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible