Interpreter of Maladies (1999)

by Jhumpa Lahiri

10,443230477 (4.09)1 / 310
Stories about Indians in India and America. The story, A Temporary Matter, is on mixed marriage, Mrs. Sen's is on the adaptation of an immigrant to the U.S., and in the title story an interpreter guides an American family through the India of their ancestors.

English (218)  Catalan (4)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (228)
Extraordinary. Another one that I'm not sure how I missed. In my experience, in a book of short stories, there's always one or two that do not hold up. Not here. Each so poignant and not a word out of place. Quite a feat. As one of the pull-quotes says up front, "Lahiri breathes unpredictable life into the page, and the reader finishes each story reseduced, wishing he could spend a whole novel with its characters." ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 15, 2020 |
It's a collection of stories about life; about contemporary life; about life as an Indian exile; about lives of others. They are clean, beautifully-written stories that explore small things: finding the right kind of fish - and larger things: affairs. Each story brings a taste of India with it, a sense of what it takes to adjust to life elsewhere. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
Excellent collection of short stories that deal with diaspora and cultural disconnect, told through the simplicity of characters' lives. Many wonderful examples, but the opening story ('A Temporary Matter'), 'A Real Durwan', 'Mrs. Sen's' and 'This Blessed House' are all terrific. Brilliant writing, scenarios and pace. ( )
  ephemeral_future | Aug 20, 2020 |
I liked some of the stories a lot, but I found others to have ambiguous endings for no apparent reason other than to seem deep. ( )
  Kelmanel | Apr 17, 2020 |
This has been on my shelves for years.....it was - ok. Each short story is set in India or is about Indians. The stories are of everyday life, nothing dramatic happens, mostly I felt like each story made me sad. Not crying sad, but depressed, downtrodden, beat up sad. Sad lives lived in sad circumstances. And each story just ended. Like a person shuts a window....story over. Or eats a piece of candy in bed....story over. I'd much rather read a 600 page book than short stories.....just not my form I think. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
In this accomplished collection of stories, Jhumpa Lahiri traces the lives of people on two continents -- North America and India -- and in doing so announces herself as a wonderfully distinctive new voice. Indeed, Ms. Lahiri's prose is so eloquent and assured that the reader easily forgets that ''Interpreter of Maladies'' is a young writer's first book.

Jhumpa Lahiriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooley, StevenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahlström, EvaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Overholtzer, RobertDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sjöstrand, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents and for my sister
The notice informed them that it was a temporary matter: for five days their electricity would be cut off for one hour, beginning at eight P.M.
While the astronauts, heroes forever, spent mere hours on the moon, I have remained in this new world for nearly thirty years. I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and I am certainly not the first. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.
As stunned as I was, I knew what I had to say. With no hesitation at all, I cried out, "Splendid!"
In fact, the only thing that appeared three-dimensional about Boori Ma was her voice: brittle with sorrows, as tart as curds, and shrill enough to grate meat from a coconut.
He wondered if Mr. and Mrs. Das were a bad match, just as he and his wife were. Perhaps they, too, had little in common apart from three children and a decade of their lives. The signs he recognized from his own marriage were there--the bickering, the indifference, the protracted silences.
In its own way this correspondence would fulfill his dream, of serving as an interpreter between nations.

CONTENTS:
A Temporary Matter -- When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine -- Interpreter of Maladies -- A Real Durwan -- Sexy -- This Blessed House -- The Treatment of Bibi Haldar -- The Third and Final Continent

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,938,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible