The Club Dumas (1993)

by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Lucas Corso, a rare book hunter, is called in to authenticate a fragment of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's "The Three Musketeers," found in the possession of a murdered bibliophile, and soon finds himself involved in an adventure in which life imitates literature.
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (P_S_Patrick, stephaniefeldman, Sensei-CRS)
    P_S_Patrick: These books have a fair bit in common. They are both intense and thrilling mysteries, involving the occult, conspiracies, books, murders, and are both set mainly in Europe. What The Club Dumas does, Foucalt's Pendulum does better, but that is just my opinion. I have known people give up on reading Foucalt's Pendulum because of its length, its abundance of complicated detail, and its demands on the readers concentration, but any serious reader who enjoyed the Club Dumas should enjoy this more. Anyone who enjoyed Eco's story, likewise, should enjoy the other book, but don't expect it to be quite as good, though I don't think there is a surplus of work in this genre that can compare, with this being more or less the next best thing that I have read.… (more)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (jhedlund, phoenix7g)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    Death of a Bookseller by Bernard J. Farmer (Jannes)
    Jannes: A crime novel set among Londons book-dealers and collectors. Also deals with the occult.
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings by Iain Sinclair (Jannes)
    Jannes: More book-hunting with supernatural overtones.

English (120)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (141)
Man, this book really shit the bed at the end. It started strong, it had me right where it wanted me for almost three hundred pages, and then it decided to just start falling apart. I don't even know what to say. If you don't mind a book that has an insultingly ridiculous ending and you're interested in the world of rare book collecting, this has some good stuff for you. Just prepare to be really disappointed. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
I didn’t like it! Maybe the problem is that I listened to it on audio format instead of reading it and ended up “losing” some of it. I don’t know…

I actually hate to be this hard on books. I am most of the time very generous with my stars. But this time I just can’t… It felt contrived, the vocabulary too snug, the characters all unbelievable.
It is getting 2 stars because I learned a few things about Dumas.

Oh! But I wanted to love this one! I really, really wanted to love this one… What a disappointment!
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
History, sex, demonology, old Europe, murder, and most importantly book are blended together by Pérex-Reverte into a seemlessly rollicking and engaging story. Our protagonist, Lucas Corso, a shameless and conniving book dealer (though his true profession is nothing as simple as that) is an everyman character - wandering down a path at the behest of another "greater" person - until the final chapters. Taking both narratives in hand as the reality of the situation becomes clear Corso breaks his own patterns, even as it seems as if other are doing it for him. His monickers (the rabbit and the wolf) muddle some of his lead in the story, as he never quite reaches the heights of one nor the simplicity of the other, but it is this lack of clarity that lends Corso true humanity and separates him from the stoniness of his travelling companion "Irene Adler." The girl is clearly not all she seems, yet I am not truely convinced (as Corso seems to be) about her Luciferian nature. If she is in fact a fallen angel she adds a certain something to the Miltonian themes of this novel, and if not she at least embodies the trouvled and surprisingly humanity persona quite well. If she truely is Lucifer incarnate, she has certainly proven the point that redemption/deliverance/damnation/enlightenment is given to those who seek it not. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
What a fun read that was going to be a five star book until the expedient and simplistic denouement. I admit having seen the film first, with an amazing performance by Johnny Depp (and directed by the pedophile rapist Roman Polanski) but as always, the book exceeded the film in almost every aspect.

While reading, I wrote that this was 'a book that makes me proud to have an education' and 'a book that makes me mourn the advent of the eBook'. To touch a real book, smell it and feel its contours in my hands, what glory! I wonder what will become of book collectors in the age of Kindles, iBooks and such things? I loved the insider knowledge the book deals in, from the linguistic to the analytical. I highlighted "But we all share a conspiratorial wink when we talk about certain magical authors and books. Those that made us discover literature without weighing us down with dogmas and teaching us rules." ( )
1 vote drew_asson | Dec 3, 2020 |
Junak romana, Lukas Korso, je vrstan poznavalac retkih rukopisa i antikvitetnih knjiga. Kad je poznati izdavač i bibliofil pronađen mrtav u svom kabinetu, ispostavlja se da je posedovao rukopis 42. poglavlja Diminog romana Tri musketara. Korso je angažovan da potvrdi autentičnost rukopisa, ali istovremeno za drugog klijenta mora da utvrdi koji je od tri postojeća primerka okultnog priručnika Knjiga o devet vrata u kraljevstvo senki pravi. Neko, međutim, po obrascu književne zbilje otežava Korsovo istraživanje, roman se raslojava na nekoliko nivoa, a glavni junak i čitalac lutaju između dve knjige i tri zapleta, nekoliko ubistava i ljubavnih veza, da bi tek čudno društvo Kluba Dima dovelo do razrešenja.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Un roman délectable qui se situe entre Le Nom de la Rose, les jeux de rôles et Agatha Christie.
added by Ariane65 | editL'Express

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carmignani, IlideTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kallio, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soto, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Cala, mijn moeder, die me op dit slagveld heeft gezet.
The flash projected the outline of the hanged man onto the wall.
"Like any intelligent being, the devil likes games, riddles. Obstacle courses where the weak and incapable fall by the wayside and only superior spirits -- the initiates -- win." [Baroness Frieda Ungern, 231]

Lucas Corso, middle-aged, tired, and cynical, is a book detective, a mercenary hired to hunt down rare editions for wealthy and unscrupulous clients. When a well-known bibliophile is found hanged, leaving behind part of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers, Corso is brought in to authenticate the fragment. Part mystery, part puzzle, part witty intertextual game.

AR 5.0, 17 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,088,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible