dismiss

The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

The Club Dumas (1993)

by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Lucas Corso, a rare book hunter, is called in to authenticate a fragment of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's "The Three Musketeers," found in the possession of a murdered bibliophile, and soon finds himself involved in an adventure in which life imitates literature.
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (P_S_Patrick, stephaniefeldman, Sensei-CRS)
    P_S_Patrick: These books have a fair bit in common. They are both intense and thrilling mysteries, involving the occult, conspiracies, books, murders, and are both set mainly in Europe. What The Club Dumas does, Foucalt's Pendulum does better, but that is just my opinion. I have known people give up on reading Foucalt's Pendulum because of its length, its abundance of complicated detail, and its demands on the readers concentration, but any serious reader who enjoyed the Club Dumas should enjoy this more. Anyone who enjoyed Eco's story, likewise, should enjoy the other book, but don't expect it to be quite as good, though I don't think there is a surplus of work in this genre that can compare, with this being more or less the next best thing that I have read.… (more)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (jhedlund, phoenix7g)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    Death of a Bookseller by Bernard J. Farmer (Jannes)
    Jannes: A crime novel set among Londons book-dealers and collectors. Also deals with the occult.
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings by Iain Sinclair (Jannes)
    Jannes: More book-hunting with supernatural overtones.

English (115)  Spanish (7)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (134)
I enjoyed about three quarters of this novel. Having read PerezReverte before I was prepared for an intelligent thriller. Alas, I began to find it turgid, overlong and, frankly, pretentious. Having lost interest in what happened next I finished reading a few pages before the end.
  MikeFARoberts | May 15, 2020 |
What a fun read that was going to be a five star book until the expedient and simplistic denouement. I admit having seen the film first, with an amazing performance by Johnny Depp (and directed by the pedophile rapist Roman Polanski) but as always, the book exceeded the film in almost every aspect.

While reading, I wrote that this was 'a book that makes me proud to have an education' and 'a book that makes me mourn the advent of the eBook'. To touch a real book, smell it and feel its contours in my hands, what glory! I wonder what will become of book collectors in the age of Kindles, iBooks and such things? I loved the insider knowledge the book deals in, from the linguistic to the analytical. I highlighted "But we all share a conspiratorial wink when we talk about certain magical authors and books. Those that made us discover literature without weighing us down with dogmas and teaching us rules." ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |
Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Wonderful book!! It takes you on a tale that is full of intrigue, action/adventure with a mix of the "Three Musketeers" Be careful for the Devil is in the Details......
  Klatooo | Feb 8, 2020 |
Mayores de 18 años
  Alba26 | Aug 23, 2019 |
Oh, man did Polanski butcher this book. The Club Dumas is an example of the intellectual thriller genre. The Da Vinci Code might be another, but I would rather not put the two in the same bucket. The critics understandably compare it to Umberto Eco light and I would agree - it makes you feel smart because you’re in on all of the supposedly arcane knowledge being tossed around. There is international intrigue, antiquarian texts, the occult and most certainly murder. In the end, I didn’t know whether something supernatural happened or not, and I prefer it that way. ( )
1 vote Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |
Junak romana, Lukas Korso, je vrstan poznavalac retkih rukopisa i antikvitetnih knjiga. Kad je poznati izdavač i bibliofil pronađen mrtav u svom kabinetu, ispostavlja se da je posedovao rukopis 42. poglavlja Diminog romana Tri musketara. Korso je angažovan da potvrdi autentičnost rukopisa, ali istovremeno za drugog klijenta mora da utvrdi koji je od tri postojeća primerka okultnog priručnika Knjiga o devet vrata u kraljevstvo senki pravi. Neko, međutim, po obrascu književne zbilje otežava Korsovo istraživanje, roman se raslojava na nekoliko nivoa, a glavni junak i čitalac lutaju između dve knjige i tri zapleta, nekoliko ubistava i ljubavnih veza, da bi tek čudno društvo Kluba Dima dovelo do razrešenja.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Un roman délectable qui se situe entre Le Nom de la Rose, les jeux de rôles et Agatha Christie.
added by Ariane65 | editL'Express

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carmignani, IlideTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kallio, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soto, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Cala, mijn moeder, die me op dit slagveld heeft gezet.
The flash projected the outline of the hanged man onto the wall.
"Like any intelligent being, the devil likes games, riddles. Obstacle courses where the weak and incapable fall by the wayside and only superior spirits -- the initiates -- win." [Baroness Frieda Ungern, 231]

Lucas Corso, middle-aged, tired, and cynical, is a book detective, a mercenary hired to hunt down rare editions for wealthy and unscrupulous clients. When a well-known bibliophile is found hanged, leaving behind part of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers, Corso is brought in to authenticate the fragment. Part mystery, part puzzle, part witty intertextual game.

AR 5.0, 17 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,564,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible