The Club Dumas (1993)

by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Lucas Corso, a rare book hunter, is called in to authenticate a fragment of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's "The Three Musketeers," found in the possession of a murdered bibliophile, and soon finds himself involved in an adventure in which life imitates literature.
Recently added byGumbywan, private library, Harem73, lal78148, sapphire525, ThomasKleinert, rovivan, hcoyote
Legacy LibrariesLeslie Scalapino
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (P_S_Patrick, stephaniefeldman, Sensei-CRS)
    P_S_Patrick: These books have a fair bit in common. They are both intense and thrilling mysteries, involving the occult, conspiracies, books, murders, and are both set mainly in Europe. What The Club Dumas does, Foucalt's Pendulum does better, but that is just my opinion. I have known people give up on reading Foucalt's Pendulum because of its length, its abundance of complicated detail, and its demands on the readers concentration, but any serious reader who enjoyed the Club Dumas should enjoy this more. Anyone who enjoyed Eco's story, likewise, should enjoy the other book, but don't expect it to be quite as good, though I don't think there is a surplus of work in this genre that can compare, with this being more or less the next best thing that I have read.… (more)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (jhedlund, phoenix7g)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    Death of a Bookseller by Bernard J. Farmer (Jannes)
    Jannes: A crime novel set among Londons book-dealers and collectors. Also deals with the occult.
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings by Iain Sinclair (Jannes)
    Jannes: More book-hunting with supernatural overtones.

English (122)  Spanish (9)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (145)
The set up for this one is right in the sweet spot - ancient manuscripts and obsessive bibliophilism with shades of grand conspiracies and the occult. But it falls flat in the execution. The anti-hero is interesting enough, if a little tiresome in the endless restatements of his moral faults. The conspiracy is interesting enough, an international group of occultists trying to summon Satan from arcane texts and rituals. But the characters all enter the scene somewhat flat, one facet off from being a whole. The treatment of women in the book, especially for one published within the last couple decades, feels a part of some other universe. And, while the inclusion of drawings and texts from the arcane texts is original, the repeated use feels like a crutch. In other words, don't judge this book by its cover.

2 bones!! ( )
  blackdogbooks | May 30, 2022 |
Great noir mystery. Some loose ends and it is essential that you know Dumas’ classic and other classics to understand the references ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jan 9, 2022 |
Intelligent, with a wondrous disclosure. A great detective's story with a good deal of esotericism. I'm very pleased with this book. ( )
  Leonardo_ | Oct 29, 2021 |
Lucas Corso, a mercenary in the world of rare books. For the right price he will hunt down rare books, do the research to authenticate books, no matter what it takes.

Corso is a small man, wears rumpled and scuffed clothes, wire rimmed glasses, carries a large canvas bag that is frequently stuffed with books, papers and other detritus of his world along with a flask of Bols gin, smokes unfiltered cigarettes. This outer appearance hides a prodigious memory of detailed information on books — where they can be found, their current value, authors and content, who to trust and who not. His ability to fast talk, quick reflexes and quick thinking are not apparent.

He is hired by a client to research the book “The Nine Doors,” written in the 1600s. There are only three copies left in the world, and the question is to locate them and determine which if his copy is true or a forgery. He is also hired to authenticate pages from “Le Vin D’Anjou” (The Pear Wine), purported to have been written by Alexandre Dumas.

What he finds is a plot involving devil worship, a cast of characters straight out of “The Three Musketeers,” and the deaths of the people he visit to get his information on “The Nine Doors.” It seems he has two mysteries to deal with at the same time.

Quotes and references to the history of various books run through the whole book. It puts me in mind of Dan Brown’s books. With such information, I took my time reading it, and enjoyed it. ( )
1 vote ChazziFrazz | Oct 2, 2021 |
I didn’t like it! Maybe the problem is that I listened to it on audio format instead of reading it and ended up “losing” some of it. I don’t know…

I actually hate to be this hard on books. I am most of the time very generous with my stars. But this time I just can’t… It felt contrived, the vocabulary too snug, the characters all unbelievable.
It is getting 2 stars because I learned a few things about Dumas.

Oh! But I wanted to love this one! I really, really wanted to love this one… What a disappointment!
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
Junak romana, Lukas Korso, je vrstan poznavalac retkih rukopisa i antikvitetnih knjiga. Kad je poznati izdavač i bibliofil pronađen mrtav u svom kabinetu, ispostavlja se da je posedovao rukopis 42. poglavlja Diminog romana Tri musketara. Korso je angažovan da potvrdi autentičnost rukopisa, ali istovremeno za drugog klijenta mora da utvrdi koji je od tri postojeća primerka okultnog priručnika Knjiga o devet vrata u kraljevstvo senki pravi. Neko, međutim, po obrascu književne zbilje otežava Korsovo istraživanje, roman se raslojava na nekoliko nivoa, a glavni junak i čitalac lutaju između dve knjige i tri zapleta, nekoliko ubistava i ljubavnih veza, da bi tek čudno društvo Kluba Dima dovelo do razrešenja.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Un roman délectable qui se situe entre Le Nom de la Rose, les jeux de rôles et Agatha Christie.
added by Ariane65 | editL'Express

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carmignani, IlideTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kallio, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soto, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Und ich, der ich einen kleinen Roman auf ihm aufgebaut hatte, irrte mich total (P. Souvestre, Fantômas)
Voor Cala, mijn moeder, die me op dit slagveld heeft gezet.
The flash projected the outline of the hanged man onto the wall.
"Like any intelligent being, the devil likes games, riddles. Obstacle courses where the weak and incapable fall by the wayside and only superior spirits -- the initiates -- win." [Baroness Frieda Ungern, 231]

Lucas Corso, middle-aged, tired, and cynical, is a book detective, a mercenary hired to hunt down rare editions for wealthy and unscrupulous clients. When a well-known bibliophile is found hanged, leaving behind part of the original manuscript of Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers, Corso is brought in to authenticate the fragment. Part mystery, part puzzle, part witty intertextual game.

AR 5.0, 17 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,620,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible