The Three Musketeers (1844)

by Alexandre Dumas

Series: Kolme muskettisoturia (1), D'Artagnan Romances (1)

17,839216195 (4.07)1 / 913
In seventeenth-century France, young D'Artagnan initially quarrels with, then befriends, three musketeers and joins them in trying to outwit the enemies of the king and queen.
Europe (162)
My TBR (77)
Elevenses (301)

English (186)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (5)  French (5)  German (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (216)
Este livro conta a história de um jovem de 20 anos, proveniente da Gasconha, D'Artagnan, que vai a Paris buscando se tornar membro do corpo de elite dos guardas do rei, os mosqueteiros do Rei. Chegando lá, após acontecimentos similares, ele conhece três mosqueteiros chamados "os inseparáveis": Athos, Porthos e Aramis.
  AllNetSJC | Jun 10, 2021 |
The heroes weren’t always easy for me to root for, but the story certainly kept me engaged. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
Glad I re-read it in the original translation of 1946. There were lots of words I had to look up. I enjoyed the pace of the writing - the musketeers, and others, tearing around, always in a hurry, whether to find their next meal, or chasing a villain - and the short chapters complimented that perfectly. As a teenager I mostly missed the casual violence - enjoying the daring-do and romance - but I've certainly had to revise my opinions of what was my top favourite character Athos, I can't condone his treatment of his young wife no matter how wicked the lady becomes later. And I appreciate far more both Lady De Winter and the cardinal. Still it is a wonderful romp through Paris, France and London, and a heartfelt celebration of brotherhood and loyalty. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
** WARNING this review contains (mild) spoilers, read at your own risk ;) **

The first part is quite humorous, laugh-out-loud funny at times, but then the narrative starts to drag, and towards the end it spirals into a dark tale.
I'm not sure I like the progression of the 4 musketeers's character, towards the end they turn into rather unpleasant people.

Also, I found Dumas's portrayal of Milady... annoying (for lack of a better word). On the one hand, he describes her as a villainous mastermind, cunning and devious, and the next moment he turns her into a feeble woman, paralized by her emotions. The way he writes it, she just doesn't add up as a character, there are too many contradictions (unless she's schizofrenic?)
The other female characters are just there to sit around, be pretty and be the motive behind the heroes' actions (and I use the term 'hero' loosely, because some of the actions of the musketeers are anything but heroic).

The only few chapters that attempt to bring a bit of depth to Milady are those where whe's imprisoned by Lord de Winter, and she schemes and manipulates to facilitate her escape.

All in all, after like the first third of the book, I became rather disenchanted by it. With all the repetitions and unnecessary elaborations, the book could easily have been about 200 pages shorter and the story not suffer from it. ( )
  HeyMimi | Jan 1, 2021 |
Read for the first time. I am pretty sure I had never read it but probably saw various movies that were based on the book. The story of 4 men, three musketeers and a young man, d'Artagran who is an intern. The setting is France during the 1600s. The novel, while an adventure and romance, has a political setting. It is a time of religious upheaval with Luther and Calvin. Louis XIII is the king of France and Richelieu is cardinal who had control over the government and power over Louis XIII. In this setting, the story is of the three musketeers Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. The musketeers and d'artagran are caught up in a political conspiracy launched by the Cardinal. This is a an enjoyable, entertaining story as an adventure ought to be.

Real historical characters in this story:
Historical characters
King Louis XIII of France: weak monarch often manipulated by his chief minister.
Queen Anne of Austria – Queen of France.
Cardinal Richelieu: Armand Jean du Plessis, the King's chief minister, who plots against the Queen in resentment at having his advances rebuffed.
M. de Tréville – captain of The Musketeers, and something of a mentor to d'Artagnan, though he has only a minor role.
George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham - a handsome and charismatic man used to getting his way: he thinks nothing of starting a war between England and France for his personal convenience. His courtship of Anne of Austria gets her in trouble.
John Felton – a puritan officer assassinates Buckingham ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 1, 2020 |

Hirvensalo, LauriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobson, WillTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hochman, EleanorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Le Clercq, Jacques Georges ClemenceauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JasmineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

On the first Monday of April 1625, the market town of Meung, the birthplace of the author of the Roman de la Rose, was in a wild state of excitement.
[Author's Preface] It is about a year ago, that in making researches in the Bibliotheque Nationale for my History of Louis the Fourteenth, I by chance met with the Memoirs of Monsieur d'Artagnan, printed by Peter the Red at Amsterdam -- as the principal works of that period, when authors could not adhere to the truth without running the risk of the Bastile, generally were.
[Epilogue] La Rochelle, deprived of the assistance of the English fleet, and of the succour which had been promised by Buckingham, surrendered after a year's siege.
Athos: Well, D'Artagnan, if he doesn't come, it will be because of some delay. He may have tumbled off his horse or fallen on some slippery deck or ridden so fast against the wind that he is ill with a fever. Let us allow for the unforseen, gentlemen, since all is a gamble and life is a chaplet of minor miseries which, bead by bead, your philosopher tells with a smile. Be philosophers as I am, friends; sit down here and let us drink.
D'Artanghan's father: A gentleman makes his way by his courage; by his courage alone! Whosoever trembles but for a second has perhaps lost the bait which fortune held out to him in precisely that second.
This is the main work for The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas père. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

This work has also been published (complete and unabridged) under the ISBN 1-55902-983-8 by Aerie Publications, which apparently decided to break the rules and publish multiple classics under the same ISBN.

The young Gascon fights
The three inseperables
and becomes their friend
(Michael.Rimmer)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,049,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible