Not the Way It's Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin

by Cornelius Plantinga

This timely book retrieves an old awareness that has slipped and changed in recent decades. The awareness of sin used to be our shadow. Christians hated sin, feared it, fled from it--and grieved over it. But the shadow of sin has now dimmed in our consciousness. Even preachers, who once got visibly angry over a congregation's sin, now speak of sin in a mumble. Cornelius Plantinga pulls the ancient doctrine of sin out of mothballs and presents it to contemporary readers in clear language, drawing from a wide range of books, films, and other cultural resources. In smoothly flowing prose Plantinga describes how sin corrupts what is good and how such corruption spreads. He discusses the parasitic quality of sin and the ironies and pretenses generated by this quality. He examines the relation of sin to folly and addiction. He describes two classic "postures" or movements of sin -- attack and flight. And in an epilogue he reminds us that whatever we say about sin also sharpens our eye for the beauty of grace.… (more)

Exceptional ( )
  dgregoryburns | Jan 3, 2015 |
Cornelius Plantinga goes toe to toe with sin
  kijabi1 | Jan 5, 2012 |
Great sociological insight to the nature of sin. Heuses great metaphors and analogies to place sin in its proper roll. In a church culture where sin can often be one dimensional, Platinga exposes the many spectrums of sin and breaks it out of the protestant cage of merely breaking a law. ( )
  tcatchim | Mar 19, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,536,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible