Old Filth by Jane Gardam

Old Filth (2004)

by Jane Gardam

1,7091145,991 (4.04)1 / 615
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (teelgee)
    teelgee: Parallels in the exploration of a man's life, regrets, memories.
    Last Orders by Graham Swift (chrisharpe)

English (107)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (114)
I loved this book -- beautifully written, with well-realized characters. Very, very British. ( )
1 vote GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
There are some exceptionally touching scenes and hilarious dialogues, the story is quite entertaining and the feeling of absence and alienation is beautifully captured, which makes it a rewarding read.

However, other scenes are quite ridiculous and rushed, the stream of conciousness type of writing smells of moth balls and everything is so neatly packed that one cannot get rid of the feeling the cart was put before the horse. ( )
  alik-fuchs | Apr 27, 2018 |
This isn't normally the type of book that I would enjoy but I found Gardam really managed to make me stick around for the ride. Doesn't quite live up to the hype that I've been seeing about it, but I did find it quite enjoyable and I'm glad that I read it. Nice solid read! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 10, 2018 |
Een intrigerend boek, maar soms ook wat onbegrijpelijk door de manier van vertellen, over een oude rechter die terugkijkt op zijn leven. Een jeugd zonder ouders, waarin hij een moord pleegde (dat wordt pas op het einde duidelijk). Dit boek is deel van een trilogie, waarin ook het leven van zijn vrouw Betty en haar minnaar Veneering worden beschreven. Onderkoelde humor. ( )
  elsmvst | Jan 13, 2018 |
Having spent 19 years living in HK, this had great appeal to me. I felt empathy with Feathers, but disappointed in the character of his wife, 'bumped off' early to set up the narrative drive of a retrospective of his life. Not inclined to read the rest of the trilogy, and feel this book stands alone, fine.

Made for stimulating book club discussion, as several of us have had expat experience and several others are lawyers! ( )
  celerydog | Aug 2, 2017 |
Wat een ongelofelijk gaaf boek heeft de Britse Jane Gardam (geboren 1928) geschreven met De onberispelijke man – wat knap om zoveel personages, tijdvakken, werelddelen, historische feiten en nog zo veel meer (schijnbaar) moeiteloos te verweven tot een zeer pakkend en aangrijpend verhaal! Het verhaal is spannend, ontroerend, verrassend, meeslepend en zo kan ik nog wel even doorgaan…lees verder >

Are you interested in venerable lawyers, the relic of empire? You will be. Do you want to know about the Far Eastern Bar? A reader of Old Filth, despite its unpromising title, will become passionately curious about such matters. This novel is surely Gardam's masterpiece. On the human level, it is one of the most moving fictions I have read for years. I shall always remember the scene in which, putting up at the garish hotel that has replaced The Old Judges' Lodging, this most ramrod-backed and disciplined of elderly men sees his wife's obituary whilst doing his stately breakfasting. He "wept silently behind his hands, sitting in this unknown place"

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once
(Inscription upon the statue of a child in the Inner Temple Garden in London)
To Raj Orphans
and their parents
The Benchers' luncheon-room of the Inner Temple.
Yes. You'll be a lawyer. Magnificent memory. Sense of logic, no imagination and no brains.
Without memory and desire life is pointless?
All my life… from my early childhood, I have been left, or dumped, or separated by death, from everyone I loved or who cared for me. I want to know why.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 070117756X, Hardcover)

FILTH is a lawyer with a practice in the Far East. A few remember that his nickname stands for Failed In London Try Hong Kong. But Old Filth is not as pompous as people imagine, and his past contains many secrets and dark hiding places.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:21 -0400)

Long ago, Old Filth was a Raj orphan - one of the many young children sent 'home' from the East to be fostered and educated in England. This novel tells his story, from his birth in what was then Malaya to the extremities of his old age.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible