Shades of Milk and Honey

by Mary Robinette Kowal

In a Jane Austen-inspired alternate universe, two sisters, one beautiful and the other skilled in the glamour arts, test the limits of their gifts on an unscrupulous suitor.

English (129)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (130)
Like a REALLY bad Jane Austen novel with small magics. ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |
Jane Austen with magic, done properly? Don't mind if I do.

Wonderfully accomplished alt-Austen world, complete with plucky but modest heroine and satisfying, if somewhat surprising romance. Hooray! ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
"Oh, you women are so melodramatic. Do not expect me to catch you when you faint."
"I would rather hit the ground. Good day, sir." ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Mar 29, 2022 |
I can't say I enjoyed the entirety of this book---with its self-conscious "Regency" spellings and narrative styles and a cast of characters entirely made up of Jane Austen archetypes, it read more like awkward Sense and Sensibility fanfiction than an original, Regency-era alternate-history. But the notion of glamour is a fascinating one, and it was in the exploration of its nature, history, and existence that Shades of Milk and Honey hit its stride. That glint of promise leaves me hopeful for the next books in the series...may they expand their originality beyond the domain of world-building into characters and relationships and storytelling! ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
Wobbling on my stars score, I gave this book an extra one because I wolfed it down. I have some quibbles but it's a quick, delightful read. The happy ending is surprisingly neat and satisfying and yet there are more books. I wonder how the author will achieve that. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
A quick, light read, with characters that the reader will feel right at home with.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Rebecca Gerber (Aug 1, 2010)

Readers will be disappointed only when they finish this enchanting story, which is suffused with genteel charm.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Stacey Hayman (Jun 15, 2010)

Kowal's unique take on an overly familiar plot does hold some potential, but the magic, like her sensible protagonist, comes across as a bit too tame.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 15, 2010)

The story plods at a wooden pace until the climax, which achieves a sprightly comedy-of-errors froth.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 14, 2010)

To my grandmothers, Mary Elois Jackson and Robinette Harrison who taught me the importance of family and storytelling.
The Ellsworths of Long Parkmead had the regard of their neighbours in every respect.

Mary Robinette Kowal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Mary Robinette Kowal chatted with LibraryThing members from Sep 13, 2010 to Sep 26, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,826,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible