Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2012)

by Maria Semple

Recently added byrena200, campion3, private library, Terrable1020, ruinedmap, Tafadhali, syncione, jfledd, MLRALibrary
    Microserfs by Douglas Coupland (cransell)
    cransell: Two fictional looks at working at Microsoft.
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LBV123)
    LBV123: Rifka Brunt's novel similarly traces a complicated family history and the story of a complicated mother with artistic tendencies, and features an interesting and complicated teenaged narrator. While not as openly chasing the laughs as Semple's novel, Tell the Wolves is nonetheless humorous in its depiction of family politics--and deeply touching as it deals with both love and loss.… (more)
    This Book Will Save Your Life by A. M. Homes (lizchris)
    lizchris: About the madness of west coast America
    The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson (cransell)
    cransell: Both quirky, humorous reads.
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though Sweetness is more of a traditional mystery, it shares with Where'd You Go, Bernadette an endearing, precocious, and entertaining young narrator who pieces together clues from the adult world to solve a mystery. Character interactions are delightfully, humorously depicted.… (more)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (lycomayflower)
    Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell (kiwiflowa)

English (240)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (243)
"The truth is complicated. There's no way one person can ever know everything about another person."

I think you either have to be odd or enjoy reading about an odd person to really like this book. I am a bit odd myself so I ended up liking this overall. The further along you read in this book the odder Bernadette and the plot (certain points of the plot become unrealistic) become.

Bernadette was quite an interesting character and I was really fascinated by her throughout the book. I was really interested in what had happened to her in the past that made her become who she was. Ultimately I was a bit disappointed when the past was revealed as I thought it would have been something bigger than what it was. What I really loved about Bernadette was her mother daughter relationship with Bee.

I liked most of the plot of this book but felt like certain things towards the end definitely were too unrealistic. I don't want to spoil anything for other readers but I really don't think that anything that Bernadette did towards the end could or would ever happen.

The good outweighed the bad for me and I really enjoyed how the story was presented. If you're looking for something a bit odd but entertaining nonetheless then this book is for you. ( )
  dpappas | May 19, 2015 |
Definitely would have given it 4 stars, maybe even 5 if it wasn't for the unnecessary infidelity. ( )
  katherineemilysmith | May 13, 2015 |
What fun - this one will definitely be recommended to Book Club as an excellent summer beach read.
Bernadette and Bee and Elgin are a not-so-typical family with not-so-typical family drama, yet they still feel real and plausible and like people you want to get to know better. ( )
  cindystark | May 11, 2015 |
Thank goodness I can finally check this one off my list. I feel as if people have been recommending it to me for ages! I listened to the audiobook version and I LOVED it! The narrator's voice is soo quirky and memorable and she does a fantastic job bringing all the bat shit insane characters to life! The story follows Bernadette, but is told via her daughter B. After Bernadette disappears without a trace, B tries to piece together where her mother may have gone by assembling the FBI files, personal notes, emails, doctor's reports and more. It's outrageous, funny, and impossible to put down. I'm kicking myself for going soo long without reading it! ( )
  ecataldi | May 10, 2015 |
Positively delightful. As a Mom - I can totally relate to how Bernadette felt about the knats. Excellent character development & fab dialogue. Made me laugh and cry. And the Anti Cdn stuff - HILARIOUs ( )
  mountie9 | May 9, 2015 |
The book stumbles a bit in the middle as it transitions from a scathing anti-Seattle manifesto into a family drama with comic undertones. But once the gears have finished their grinding and the shuddering subsides, Semple eases into her strongest work yet, allowing her characters to change in a way that suits the story, and not just shooting for an easy punch line or a sharply worded barb. In the end, with its big heart set on acceptance, Bernadette feels something like coming home.
added by Nickelini | editthe Stranger, Paul Constant (Aug 12, 2012)

The tightly constructed “Where’d You Go, Bernadette” is written in many formats — e-mails, letters, F.B.I. documents, correspondence with a psychiatrist and even an emergency-room bill for a run-in between Bernadette and Audrey. Yet these pieces are strung together so wittily that Ms. Semple’s storytelling is always front and center, in sharp focus. You could stop and pay attention to how apt each new format is, how rarely she repeats herself and how imaginatively she unveils every bit of information. But you would have to stop laughing first.
added by ozzer | editNY Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 6, 2012)

Semple is a TV comedy writer, and the pleasures of Where'd You Go, Bernadette are the pleasures of the best American TV: plot, wit and heart. (There are places where Semple really wants to be writing dialogue, and stretches the epistolary conceit of the novel to suit.) It's rather refreshing to find a female misunderstood genius at the heart of a book, and a mother-daughter relationship characterised by unadulterated mutual affection. If Bernadette is a monster of ego, Semple suggests, so are most people, when they're being honest. In her spiky but essentially feelgood universe, failure and self-exposure open up a rich seam of comedy, but shame can always be vanquished by love

Maria Sempleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leiva Morales, ÁngelesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilhoite, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xie, JingwenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Poppy Meyer
Monday, November 15: Galer Street School is a place where compassion, academics, and global connectitude join together to create civic-minded citizens of a sustainable and diverse planet.
The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, "What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault."

When Bee aces her report card she claims her reward, which is a trip to Antarctica, but her mother, Bernadette, disappears due to her intensifying allergy to Seattle and people in general, which has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands and Bee uses emails, invoices, school memos, private correspondence, and other evidence to try and understand why her mother has left.

When her notorious, hilarious, volatile, talented, troubled, and agoraphobic mother goes missing, teenage Bee begins a trip that takes her to the ends of the earth to find her.

Maria Semple is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

765 wanted5 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,285,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible