The Trial by Franz Kafka

The Trial (1925)

by Franz Kafka

12,301None204 (4.03)397
1001 (68) 1001 books (63) 20th century (207) absurdism (44) bureaucracy (58) classic (249) classics (179) Czech (134) Czech literature (107) dystopia (68) existentialism (210) fiction (1,410) Folio Society (32) Franz Kafka (48) German (239) German literature (287) Kafka (169) law (46) literature (425) modernism (42) novel (358) own (45) philosophy (73) read (131) Roman (102) surrealism (63) to-read (135) translated (41) translation (76) unread (78)

English (104)  Dutch (5)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (125)
This is a nearly flawless audiobook, read in a mostly dry tone that is both funny and creepy, which I imagine was what Kafka was going for in this his iconic work. Hell may be the absence of reason. But Hell can have a reason all its own, which we discover too late. ( )
  byebyelibrary | Apr 7, 2014 |

I have mixed feelings about reading Kafka's unfinished novels. On one hand, I find it fascinating to read anything the man wrote, no matter its state of polish. Yet it's disconcerting to read something that also feels so incomplete. Unlike Amerika (another abandoned work), this novel's ending arrives with some sense of finality. However, Kafka had not numbered the chapters so what we are left with is the order that Max Brod pieced together from his memories of conversations with Kafka. Certainly there are flashes of brilliance in here, as well as snatches of Kafka's wry humor, but there are also chapters that end suddenly in the middle of a scene, and characters that disappear into the book's ether, never to rise again, despite their initial implied importance. Considering the level of Kafka's skill and the dedication welding him to his craft, the book clearly would've been better if it had been finished (hence the 3 stars).

We all know the story of how Kafka left a note instructing Brod to burn as much of his work as he could gather. If Brod had followed through, we never would've known the fullest depths of Kafka's genius. He might've been known solely for The Metamorphosis, a book for which possibly a good percentage of the world still only knows him by. It was, after all, one of only a tiny handful of stories that Kafka did not request to be burned. The ethics with which Brod operated may have been questionable (although he did not publish all of Kafka's work, so he did show some discretion), but many writers are critical of their own work to a crippling fault and Kafka certainly ranks among the most afflicted in this regard. So I can't say that if I'd been in Brod's position, sifting through these manuscripts, I wouldn't have thought of the greater good likely to come from sharing them with the world.

At the back of the edition I read is a collection of Kafka's journal entries from the period when he was writing The Trial. This man who took self-loathing to a celestial level poured all of his leaden soul into his work, and these entries are hot jagged cuts of anguish describing his writing process. Coming at the end of the book they are almost torturous to read, as they made me question all over again how Kafka himself would feel about us reading these unfinished works. If we are to believe Brod, though, Kafka often later felt good about publications that Brod had literally badgered him into agreeing to. Perhaps all self-hating writers need an aggressive champion willing to do the promotion that they themselves are so grossly incapable of. Answering the question of how Kafka would truly feel about all of this is of course next to impossible, and as I don't anticipate ever answering it I will simply keep reading... ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
Listening to unabridged audio.
23 Feb 11: Praise be. I'm done listening to this. It was torture. I get (I think) what Kafka was trying to say that the law is so complex at times that it is completely inaccessible to 'normal' people, even smart successful ones. Or maybe he wasn't trying to say anything at all.

Like I said before, I disliked the characters - all of them - and I found the on-going conspiracy - reaching the edges of everything - irritating.

Has anyone else read this one? Maybe they want to explain it to me?
18 Feb 11: Ch. 7? 8? : I totally hate all the characters. This may be part of the reason I'm feeling lethargic about law school -- it reads a bit like 'Alice in Wonderland'... in court.

steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Very profound and well-thought surrealist story depicting a very realist idea: What happens if the justice system which is expected to be just, itself, becomes corrupt and unjust? Is justice there to serve us or are we its slaves, the slave of the justice system, thereby the slaves of the men holding power over this system? What role should play the painter (intellectuals), the clergy (the religion), the defence attorney (the right to self-defence)?
In my opinion, this book will show the reader the bleak and inescapable situation of people who are set up by powerful men and even by the government for thinking outside the norms and disturbing their plans, like it is the case in my country Turkey and why the intellectuals should raise their voice. ( )
  animyrch | Dec 8, 2013 |
This book just left me deflated. It wasn't until the end that I really pitied K, and thought of how frightening this whole ordeal would be were I in his position. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |

Nahuys, Alice vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salter, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simojoki, AukustiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zampa, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.
Jemand mußte Josef K. verleumdet haben, denn ohne daß er etwas Böses getan hätte, wurde er eines Morgens verhaftet.
Original German title: Der Prozess

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805209999, Paperback)

The story of The Trial's publication is almost as fascinating as the novel itself. Kafka intended his parable of alienation in a mysterious bureaucracy to be burned, along with the rest of his diaries and manuscripts, after his death in 1924. Yet his friend Max Brod pressed forward to prepare The Trial and the rest of his papers for publication. When the Nazis came to power, publication of Jewish writers such as Kafka was forbidden; Kafka's writings, many of which have distinctively Jewish themes, did not find a broad audience until after World War II. (Hannah Arendt once observed that although "during his lifetime he could not make a decent living, [Kafka] will now keep generations of intellectuals both gainfully employed and well-fed.") Among the current crop of Kafka heirs is Breon Mitchell, the translator of this edition of The Trial. Rather than tidying up Kafka's unconventional grammar and punctuation (as previous translators have done), Mitchell captures the loose, uneasy, even uncomfortable constructions of Kafka's original story. His translation technique is the only way to convey the comedy and confusion of this narrative, in which Josef K., "without having done anything truly wrong," is arrested, tried, convicted and executed--on a charge that is never disclosed to him. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:36 -0400)

A new edition of Kafka's classic work--certain to become the new standard.

Legacy Library: Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Franz Kafka's legacy profile.

See Franz Kafka's author page.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182903, 0141194715

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,482,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible