The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (1994)

by Laurie R. King

Series: Mary Russell (1)

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (clif_hiker, 47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: Younger heroine and more precocious but similar
    A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King (catpal1)
    catpal1: All of the books in this series are wonderful. It's such a fresh take on the Sherlock Holmes fiction: the give-and-take reminds me of the old Kate Hepburn/Spencer Tracy pairings.
    The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer (markusnenadovus)
    The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: No Holmes but younger more precocious heroine with a thirst to solve the case.
    Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal (yonitdm)
    yonitdm: They both feature brilliant, strong women as main characters, plus mystery, intrigue, and many, many cups of tea.
    A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Martin Harry Greenberg (Othemts)
    The Final Solution: A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (laytonwoman3rd)
    laytonwoman3rd: This book also features an elderly beekeeper who does some detecting, and who we are meant to understand to be Sherlock Holmes, although his name is not mentioned.
    Chalice by Robin McKinley (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: To continue a bit of the bee theme.
    The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (dreamydress48)
    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (Sally604)
    Sally604: Mysteries set in the same era with a female detective - lots of fun to read.
    Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon by Larry Millett (Othemts)
    A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullin (Othemts)
    The Tale of Hill Top Farm by Susan Wittig Albert (dreamydress48)
    dreamydress48: Same time period; also a cozy mystery. Great series in general.
    Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith (clif_hiker)

English (182)  Piratical (1)  All languages (183)
Took me a while to get into, a bit slow to start but sped up in the second half.

Felt like Mary was a bit of a Mary Sue; tragic past, super intelligent, other characters in awe of her. She did grow on me though.

Obviously setting up for romance between Mary and Sherlock. Thought it was weird at first with her just being 15 but she grows up and matures through the story. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 13, 2014 |
escapist fun. the book felt a bit disjointed at times, and was perhaps a bit bloated; but, overall, enjoyable. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Dec 12, 2014 |
In 1915, Sherlock Holmes has retired in Sussex and is now raising and studying bees. By chance, 15-year-old American Mary Russell encounters Holmes, who, over time, takes on Mary as his apprentice. Mary impresses the sleuth with her intelligence and acumen. Holmes initiates her into the mysteries of detection, allowing her to participate in a few cases when she comes home from her studies at Oxford. This novel is really the memoir of Mary Russell, and as such Holmes is really a secondary character. It is a definite twist on the Sherlock Holmes narrative. Eventually, Mary becomes more than an apprentice—she becomes Holmes’ equal partner, something Watson could not do. While I enjoyed the book, I did have a few issues. One, the mystery (or mysteries) really is very thin—it really is about the developing relationship between Mary and Sherlock. Secondly, it is obvious that subsequent books will reveal a romantic relationship between the two—I found myself struggling with Mary’s relationship with Holmes. At the beginning of the novel Mary is 15 years old and Holmes at least mid-50s. The author tried to explain it as father/daughter, partner, associate, friend and towards the end (when she has aged a little) more than just a friend. None of these worked for me. I wish the story had started with an older Mary. Though I enjoyed this book, I will probably not seek out the rest of the series. 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Dec 8, 2014 |
I'm delighted that my friend Terri suggested this to me. I think Laurie King did a great job of capturing the character of Sherlock Holmes. Wonderful to have a female equal for him to parry with. This began almost like short stories, but they were woven together well and all loose ends tied up nicely at the end. I enjoyed the story and look forward to more. ( )
  njcur | Sep 30, 2014 |
King has done a nice job of fitting more things into a world already well-described, but the harder part was always going to be having interesting characters in that world--especially its primary inhabitant. The Holmes of this book is interesting independently of the Holmes of other books, as is Russell herself. There's a bit too much anguished anguishment for characters who seem like they should be less prone to that than most, but overall the story carries well. ( )
  randalrh | Sep 21, 2014 |

Laurie R. Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For another M.R., my mother, Mary Richardson
I was fifteen when I first met Sherlock Holmes, fifteen years old with my nose in a book as I walked the Sussex Downs, and I nearly stepped on him.
He said nothing. Very sarcastically.
My main passions were becoming theoretical Mathematics and the complexities of Rabbinic Judaism, two topics which are dissimilar only on the surface.

U raskošnoj galeriji likova koju je za sobom ostavio Arthur Conan Doyle gdje središnje mjesto zauzima portret Sherlocka Holmesa, pored njega, osim slike dr. Watsona, ostao je prazan okvir savršeno podoban da udomi prkosni profil jedne gospođice.
Američka književnica Laurie R. King, dobitnica dviju prestižnih nagrada za najbolji kriminalistički roman godine, odvažno je odlučila ispuniti taj okvir likom mlade Mary Russell.
Jednog sunčanog dana u travnju 1915. nedaleko od svoje kuće u Sussexu Mary Russell umalo je nagazila na pognuta pedesetogodišnjaka potpuno zaokupljena promatranjem pčela. Drska i načitana, petnaestogodišnjakinja briljantna uma i zadivljujuće sposobnosti dedukcije, izmamit će od inače ženama nesklonog Holmesa iznenađen komentar. “Pa to zna razmišljati!”
Tako će početi naukovanje Mary Russell, buduće suradnice djelomično umirovljenog slavnog detektiva Sherlocka Holmesa. Njihove zajedničke avanture zabilježene su u pet dosad objavljenih romana i zacijelo predstavljaju najvjerniji nastavak književnog rada Arthura Conana Doylea.
Laurie R. King u svojim je djelima uspjela vjerodostojno dočarati ton, ugođaj i duh vremena, zadržavši izvornu cjelovitost Holmesova karaktera i pritom kao ravnopravnu protutežu stvorila potpuno samostalan, oštrouman, duhovit i zanosan ženski lik.
Roman Pčelareva naučnica Laurie R. King s engleskoga je, u ukradenom vremenu između dvije Patricije Cornwell, prevela Martina Gračanin, a ilustraciju na naslovnici izradio je Igor Kordej, uz napomenu da su oba crna lovca namjerno naslikana na bijelim poljima jer negativci uvijek igraju prljavo.

An Agatha Award Best Novel Nominee

Named One of the Century's Best 100 Mysteries by the Independent

Mystery Booksellers Association

From New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King comes the book that introduced us to the ingenious Mary Russell–Sherlock Holmes mysteries

In 1915, Sherlock Holmes is retired and quietly engaged in the study of honeybees when a young woman literally stumbles into him on the Sussex Downs. Fifteen years old, gawky, egotistical, and recently orphaned, the young Mary Russell displays an intellect to impress even Sherlock Holmes--and match him wit for wit. Under his reluctant tutelage, this very modern twentieth-century woman proves a deft protégée and a fitting partner for the Victorian detective. In their first case together, they must track down a kidnapped American senator's daughter and confront a truly cunning adversary--a bomber who has set trip wires for the sleuths and who will stop at nothing to end their partnership. Full of brilliant deductions, disguises, and dangers, this first book of the Mary Russell--Sherlock Holmes mysteries is "wonderfully original and entertaining . . . absorbing from beginning to end" (Booklist).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:49 -0400)

Chance meeting with a Sussex beekeeper turns into a pivotal, personal transformation when fifteen-year-old Mary Russell discovers that the beekeeper is the reclusive, retired detective Sherlock Holmes, who soon takes on the role of mentor and teacher.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,386,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible