The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (1994)

by Laurie R. King

Series: Mary Russell (1)

4,1082091,226 (4.12)384
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (clif_hiker, 47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: Younger heroine and more precocious but similar
    A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King (catpal1)
    catpal1: All of the books in this series are wonderful. It's such a fresh take on the Sherlock Holmes fiction: the give-and-take reminds me of the old Kate Hepburn/Spencer Tracy pairings.
    A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer (markusnenadovus)
    The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: No Holmes but younger more precocious heroine with a thirst to solve the case.
    Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal (yonitdm)
    yonitdm: They both feature brilliant, strong women as main characters, plus mystery, intrigue, and many, many cups of tea.
    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (Sally604)
    Sally604: Mysteries set in the same era with a female detective - lots of fun to read.
    New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Martin Harry Greenberg (Othemts)
    The Final Solution. A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (laytonwoman3rd)
    laytonwoman3rd: This book also features an elderly beekeeper who does some detecting, and who we are meant to understand to be Sherlock Holmes, although his name is not mentioned.
    Chalice by Robin McKinley (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: To continue a bit of the bee theme.
    The Tale of Hill Top Farm by Susan Wittig Albert (dreamydress48)
    dreamydress48: Same time period; also a cozy mystery. Great series in general.
    The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (dreamydress48)
    Mr Holmes by Mitch Cullin (Othemts)
    Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon by Larry Millett (Othemts)
    Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith (clif_hiker)

English (207)  Piratical (1)  All languages (208)
This is the first of Laurie King's wonderful series relating the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick Mary Russell. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |
This is part of my community's Everybody Reads program.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I loved the tone of the writing, the whimsy of it, the affection between Russell and Holmes, and Russell's amazing, tenacious (feminist) spirit. If I didn't know that this was the first of 8 books featuring Miss Mary Russell, I might be weeping right now from missing her character. The mystery was great and keeps the reader guessing and the culmination of it all doesn't leave one feeling cheated like some mysteries can. Highly recommended. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Absolutely abhorrent. A murder of Sherlock Holmes. Full review here: http://hiyokonojinsei.dreamwidth.org/637462.html ( )
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
A nicely told story about a young girl who meets up with Sherlock Holmes when he's "retired" to the country. In her, he sees something to nourish and she grows up, becoming something of a match for him.
This story covered rather a lot of ground--I think I'd like to read another one which just concentrated on one case, now that the character of Mary Russell has been established. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
I took my time and savored this book. I enjoy the ties to Sherlock Holmes and found him, Dr. Watson, and Mrs. Hudson good extrapolations from Conan Doyle's characters. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Mary Russell and watching her spread her wings. If you enjoy Holmes or strong women in period pieces, then I think you'll like this book. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jan 20, 2016 |

Laurie R. Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For another M.R., my mother, Mary Richardson
I was fifteen when I first met Sherlock Holmes, fifteen years old with my nose in a book as I walked the Sussex Downs, and I nearly stepped on him.
He said nothing. Very sarcastically.
My main passions were becoming theoretical Mathematics and the complexities of Rabbinic Judaism, two topics which are dissimilar only on the surface.

U raskošnoj galeriji likova koju je za sobom ostavio Arthur Conan Doyle gdje središnje mjesto zauzima portret Sherlocka Holmesa, pored njega, osim slike dr. Watsona, ostao je prazan okvir savršeno podoban da udomi prkosni profil jedne gospođice.
Američka književnica Laurie R. King, dobitnica dviju prestižnih nagrada za najbolji kriminalistički roman godine, odvažno je odlučila ispuniti taj okvir likom mlade Mary Russell.
Jednog sunčanog dana u travnju 1915. nedaleko od svoje kuće u Sussexu Mary Russell umalo je nagazila na pognuta pedesetogodišnjaka potpuno zaokupljena promatranjem pčela. Drska i načitana, petnaestogodišnjakinja briljantna uma i zadivljujuće sposobnosti dedukcije, izmamit će od inače ženama nesklonog Holmesa iznenađen komentar. “Pa to zna razmišljati!”
Tako će početi naukovanje Mary Russell, buduće suradnice djelomično umirovljenog slavnog detektiva Sherlocka Holmesa. Njihove zajedničke avanture zabilježene su u pet dosad objavljenih romana i zacijelo predstavljaju najvjerniji nastavak književnog rada Arthura Conana Doylea.
Laurie R. King u svojim je djelima uspjela vjerodostojno dočarati ton, ugođaj i duh vremena, zadržavši izvornu cjelovitost Holmesova karaktera i pritom kao ravnopravnu protutežu stvorila potpuno samostalan, oštrouman, duhovit i zanosan ženski lik.
Roman Pčelareva naučnica Laurie R. King s engleskoga je, u ukradenom vremenu između dvije Patricije Cornwell, prevela Martina Gračanin, a ilustraciju na naslovnici izradio je Igor Kordej, uz napomenu da su oba crna lovca namjerno naslikana na bijelim poljima jer negativci uvijek igraju prljavo.

An Agatha Award Best Novel Nominee

Named One of the Century's Best 100 Mysteries by the Independent

Mystery Booksellers Association

From New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King comes the book that introduced us to the ingenious Mary Russell–Sherlock Holmes mysteries

In 1915, Sherlock Holmes is retired and quietly engaged in the study of honeybees when a young woman literally stumbles into him on the Sussex Downs. Fifteen years old, gawky, egotistical, and recently orphaned, the young Mary Russell displays an intellect to impress even Sherlock Holmes--and match him wit for wit. Under his reluctant tutelage, this very modern twentieth-century woman proves a deft protégée and a fitting partner for the Victorian detective. In their first case together, they must track down a kidnapped American senator's daughter and confront a truly cunning adversary--a bomber who has set trip wires for the sleuths and who will stop at nothing to end their partnership. Full of brilliant deductions, disguises, and dangers, this first book of the Mary Russell--Sherlock Holmes mysteries is "wonderfully original and entertaining . . . absorbing from beginning to end" (Booklist).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

Chance meeting with a Sussex beekeeper turns into a pivotal, personal transformation when fifteen-year-old Mary Russell discovers that the beekeeper is the reclusive, retired detective Sherlock Holmes, who soon takes on the role of mentor and teacher.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,069,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible