A Night to Remember by Walter Lord

A Night to Remember (1955)

by Walter Lord

Lord's classic bestseller, and the definitive account of the unsinkable ship's fateful last hours At first, no one but the lookout recognized the sound. Passengers described it as the impact of a heavy wave, a scraping noise, or the tearing of a long calico strip. In fact, it was the sound of the world's most famous ocean liner striking an iceberg, and it served as the death knell for 1,500 souls. In the next two hours and forty minutes, the maiden voyage of the Titanic became one of history's worst maritime accidents. As the ship's deck slipped closer to the icy waterline, women pleaded with their husbands to join them on lifeboats. Men changed into their evening clothes to meet death with dignity. And in steerage, hundreds fought bitterly against certain death. At 2:15 a.m. the ship's band played "Autumn." Five minutes later, the Titanic was gone.… (more)
    102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers by Jim Dwyer (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Both use same technique of minute-by-minute disaster survivor vignettes.
    The Night Lives On: The Untold Stories & Secrets Behind the Sinking of the Unsinkable Ship-Titanic by Walter Lord (dukeallen)
    Titanic: A Night Remembered by Stephanie Barczewski (waltzmn)
    waltzmn: Books about the Titanic are a dime a dozen; I have ten or so. Few are more significant that A Night to Remember. But it is a thin book, and there are more details elsewhere. Of those other books, Stephanie Barczewski's is among the best -- new enough to use the information from the rediscovered wreck, well-researched, and full.… (more)
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (dara85)
    dara85: Sinking of the Titanic
    The Wreck of the Titan by Morgan Robertson (bookymouse)
    Raise the Titanic! by Clive Cussler (dukeallen)

English (46)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (48)
Today marks the 107th anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, the most famous and largest maritime disaster in history. On April 14, 1912, late in the evening, the Titanic hit an iceberg going full speed with an estimated 2,224 passengers on board. In the early hours of March 15, 1912, the largest oceanliner of its time, dubbed the unsinkable ship, did the unthinkable, sinking, and with it over 1,500 people lost their lives in the icy waters of the North Atlantic Ocean.

107 years later and the fascination with the Titanic is still just as fresh as it was all those years ago. There are numerous books, documentaries and movies about the sinking of the famous ship, but many focus on the ship and the facts that surround the disaster, but do not focus on the people that were aboard on that fateful maiden voyage. A Night to Remember by Walter Lord gives a detailed account from the views of those who experienced the icy nightmare firsthand.

I was never a fan of James Cameron's Titanic and after reading A Night to Remember it solidifies my opinion. Walter Lord puts you on that magnificent ship, taking you moment by moment through the timeline, through the eyes of those that were actually aboard the ship that night. You feel the confusion from the passengers when many are awoken from their slumber to the sound of what many described as a scraping noise, and the panic that arose when everyone realized that the ship was going to sink.

The part that gripped my heart the most was reading about the passengers that jumped into the icy waters, knowing that they are jumping to their deaths, and the people that are in the life boats watching the magnificent ship sink before their very eyes. I cannot even begin to imagine the fear that gripped every person that had to experience this horrific tragedy first hand, and the choices that had to be made that sealed their fate.

Tears slipped down my cheeks as I neared the end of the book, thinking about the band that played as the ship sank, and as the light of morning hits the Atlantic, and those floating aimlessly are looking at all the wreckage and floating bodies around them. You want to believe that this was just a nightmare but it was so much more than that. It was a horrific tragedy that many now know could've been avoided if only a few things would've been done differently.

A Night to Remember is an incredible book and one that I would recommend to anyone who, like me, has a fascination with the Titanic, or the tragedy that surrounded the famous ship. If you want to see what it was really like aboard the ship on it's one and only voyage it is a must read! ( )
  cflores0420 | Apr 17, 2019 |
My older brother was semi-obsessed with the Titanic. I remember a mass market paperback edition of this book living our bookshelves the whole time I lived at home. I know I started it a couple of times when I was a kid but never got very far.

When I was planning books for the most recent Bout of Books week I started browsing for highly rated shorter audiobooks and this popped up so I checked it out from the library.

I'm so glad I did. I know why this is such a classic among books about the sinking. It really does focus on the events of that one night starting when the lookout first sighted the iceberg. Once the survivors are picked up by the Carpathia the next morning there is very little follow up on anything that happened afterwards.

Published in 1955 it was obviously written long before the wreck was found and the breakup of the ship confirmed. It was written, however, when Lord had access to survivors and he interviewed many of them.

The audio narrated by Martin Jarvis was extremely well done. I like his voice and narration already. There are many many names and people and I quickly gave up trying to keep track of all of them. Some are mentioned many times and others only once so I didn't let it bother me.

This was an excellent audiobook and I highly recommend it.

Lord wrote a follow up after the wreck was discovered and I plan to read it.

SuziQoregon | Sep 12, 2018 |
There are lots of Titanic books out there. This is one of the best. ( )
  DanDiercks | Jun 18, 2018 |
My fascination with the Titanic began from an early age. I'm not quite sure what it stemmed from but I've sought out materials on the subject, read as many articles I can, and studied museum exhibits for long periods of time because of this seemingly unhealthy obsession. Lord's book brought it out again and I was delighted to read a thoroughly detailed and chronologically exact account of the sinking of this famous ship.

I appreciated the fact that when Lord compiled his research, many of the survivors and related parties were still alive and therefore accessible to provide near accurate information on exactly what took place surrounding this disaster.

Because of this high level of detail, it sometimes became difficult to follow along with the amount of names presented, however it was interesting to see the parallels among these various perspectives.

For anyone with a keen interest in the Titanic and its history, this book is a must-read. ( )
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
Book on CD read by Walter Jarvis

On April 15, 1912, the greatest ship to ever sail struck an iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic. This is a chronological tale of what the people aboard the Titanic recall of that night’s events.

This is a re-read. I first read it before I joined either Shelfari or Goodreads, so I have no record of when I read it. I believe it was in the 1980s; I know it was long before the hugely successful movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. If memory serves, I re-read it at about the time the movie was released. So this is my third reading.

It’s a gripping story, and Lord does a great job of bringing all these people to life. I get a real sense of the confusion and disbelief when the ship first strikes the iceberg. And later, of the chaos and panic when it is clear she will go down, and there are not enough lifeboats for everyone aboard to safely get away.

Lord used transcripts of testimony given by many people during the inquiry following the disaster, as well as personal interviews with survivors and relatives of those lost at sea, as well as people who were aboard the Carpathia which picked up all the lifeboats and returned with them to New York. The text edition I had included some photographs, as well as a full list of the passengers.

Walter Jarvis does an okay job of reading the audio version, but I really disliked his voice. Still, he did convey a sense of urgency as he related the events of that horrible night. ( )
  BookConcierge | Apr 4, 2017 |

Lord, WalterAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verga, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
High in the crow's nest of the New White Star Liner Titanic, Lookout Frederick Fleet peered into a dazzling night.
This is the book A Night to Remember ; please don't combine with the 1958 movie of the same name!

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,915,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible