dismiss

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K.…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2000)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (4)

82,9297665 (4.36)13 / 928
Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.
Recently added bybradleyhorner, friso, private library, brfoott, halowrig, adbohm, Annagingerella
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
Elevenses (161)
Ghosts (100)

English (717)  Italian (8)  German (7)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Arabic (2)  Portuguese (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (764)
Buddy-read and re-read!

It's Barty Crouch time! This is the first time that a non-titular character in Rowling's work becomes the main character, crowding out Harry, Hermione, and Ron altogether! He even crowds out the plight of the house elves!

All Hail Barty Crouch!

Ahem. Sorry. I've been under the Imperius curse. For a long time. Sorry. In fact, it's been almost the entire length of this novel. I just broke out from under it only to find that my place is a mess and there are approximately 365 pairs of socks draped over all my bookcases. (Don't ask.)

I loved this book more than the movie, alas. I especially loved all the times under the Veritus potion where we get a full breakdown of events from Barty's PoV, obviously, and to a lesser degree, the House Elf Liberation Front. I feel for you, Hermione!

And, of course, I miss the fact that Harry's winnings in the Tournament went to the twins. I thought that was brilliant in the books and inexplicably missing in the movies. Seriously! I want to hit something! Or at least curse it.

If you haven't read these books, shame on you. If you have, you feel me. Right? :)

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I really like that Goblet of Fire is so different from the other Harry Potter books, and since I love sports and reading about sports, I adore the Quidditch World Cup and the tasks of the Triwizard Tournament! ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
One of my all-time favorite books. These books have so much to unpack, that I love going back and re-reading them. Plus, I've seen this movie a thousand times and forgot how different they are.

Such a wonderful read! ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Good. A bit long, and the inciting incident is a little too contrived but that’s okay for a series like this. This has more “Harry being unpopular with the public” and that’s always tedious to read compared to the character stuff. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 16, 2020 |
The part that stuck with me this time rereading it was Harry’s description of what Dumbledore might look like during the summer holiday. Only what Harry described is not what I ultimately pictured. I pictured Dumbledore looking like Disney’s Merlin from Sword in the Stone with Bermuda shorts and sunglasses with his long beard. Lol! ( )
  BelindaS7 | Apr 14, 2020 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"

In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,533,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible