Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2000)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (4)

86,5058085 (4.36)13 / 949
Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
Elevenses (166)
Ghosts (113)

English (750)  Italian (8)  German (7)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Arabic (2)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (798)
No os parece adorable ver como evolucionan los personajes, año tras año... ( )
  ItsAkirex | May 6, 2021 |
Undoubtedly plenty of readers loved how chunky this book is but for me it seemed lengthier than necessary like a hundred or more pages could have been cut without losing much of the story in the process.

There was a tendency towards repetition with Harry rehashing events for Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, etc. It just seems like there’s a way to let other characters in on what’s happened without dragging the reader back through something they’d experienced alongside Harry only a few pages earlier.

I’m also not the biggest fan of long-winded reveals/explanations particularly from villains, not only is it reminiscent of the end of any Scooby Doo episode (which I do have great nostalgic affection for, still...) but that kind of one-sided dialogue to me is such a momentum killer, it’s a thinly disguised info-dump, which is fine for a half hour cartoon but less fine for a behemoth of a novel.

There are a couple things that feel increasingly questionable as I progress through this series. One is how often characters are fat-shamed or how just being fat is practically a defining characteristic of their villainy. Then there’s the house elf situation. I do find Dobby and Winky endearing and vividly described, however, with their speech patterns, their devotion to their masters, and their supposed contentment/love for their servitude, it hits a little too close to the worst stereotypes of slaves (like Gone With The Wind level stereotypes). I very much like the combination of Hermione and activism, it suits her character, it’s just I wish this subplot had been depicted differently, particularly with more active involvement from the elves, hopefully that’s the case in the books I’ve yet to read in the series.

I know so far this review hasn’t been all that positive but there were things I liked about Goblet Of Fire. When the tournament had tasks (albeit not enough of them), I found those scenes entertaining. As always I enjoyed any moment involving Ron’s family and I appreciate that his family’s financial struggles are never ignored. And Hermione remains my favorite character in the series. I wasn’t thrilled by the makeover but at least the boys were into her prior to that and as long as her personality and her smarts never receive a makeover, I’m mostly good with it. ( )
  SJGirl | May 3, 2021 |
The best harry potter book. ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
It's such a satisfying feeling when all the clues that have been littered throughout the book come together and form a satisfying conclusion. The ending of this book was one of the best endings in the Harry Potter series so far and it again saddens me that the film had to cut so much of it out. ( )
  thoroughlyme | Apr 23, 2021 |
This is where it all gets dark. ( )
  Ibrahim_Obalola | Apr 15, 2021 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"

In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,936,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible