Prince Caspian (1951)

by C. S. Lewis

Other authors: Pauline Baynes (Illustrator), Roger Hayne

Series: Chronicles of Narnia (2), Les Chroniques de Narnia (4), Chronicles of Narnia, Chronological by story (4)

Four children help Prince Caspian and his army of Talking Beasts to free Narnia from evil.

I liked the movie better.

...is something no book-lover should be forced to say, but here we are.
And while we are talking about disappointment - what on earth did my younger self like about this book??

Here is the thing : nothing really happens. No, really. The way I see it, skipping to Dawn Treader is the best thing to do. I honestly don't remember if DT has any call-back to this book in a "they put him on the throne" way, but if it's there you aren't missing anything at all.

There is too much of in-your-face Aslan. Nobody here gets much in way of personality and development. And apparently Lion can only come back when children of Adam and Eve are hanging out in Narnia? And the proper use for cordial gets messed up. And Caspian is a plot device with no personality. And nobody gets to actually DO something - because Aslan. Ugh. And I was so hoping they would resolve things without the lion intervention (or not much of it, at least).

All in all, this is quite far from being anything close to my favourite.
I would not recommend it.

FINAL VERDICT : SKIP IT ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
Somehow Aslan remains the centerpiece and most memorable figure in the story, even though he occupies little of its pages. The tale itself is interesting enough, but you always want to know what Aslan will do next. When Aslan comes, things are always set to right.

If you liked the first book, I expect you will enjoy this one, as well. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
I did not love this book as much as the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or Horse and his Boy, but it's still Narnia so I love it.
I do think the movie did not do a very good job of being the same.
I love this book and I think everyone should read the Chronicles of Narnia! ( )
  MollyGroff | May 23, 2022 |
The Pevensie children return to Narnia to help liberate it once again. This time they help the young Prince Caspian to regain his throne from an evil king who is forcing all the Narnians into hiding. This is the last time the reader will see Peter and Susan in the story. ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Apr 30, 2022 |
Well done. Love it. Will watch movie. I wish the book had more detail though. Sad that this is the last time that the classic four are together in Nardia. ( )
  MaryRachelSmith | Apr 18, 2022 |

Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
Mary Clare Havard
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, and it has been told in another book called The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe how they had a remarkable adventure.
"You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth."
Please do NOT combine "Prince Caspian" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.

Narnia... where animals talk... where trees walk... where a battle is about to begin.

A prince denied his rightful throne gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false King. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of the entire world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,771,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible