dismiss

Prince Caspian (1951)

by C. S. Lewis

Series: Crónicas de Narnia (2), Chronicles of Narnia (2)

Four children help Prince Caspian and his army of Talking Beasts to free Narnia from evil.

English (167)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (173)
I've read this so many time I suppose I should write a review eventually. So here's my thoughts after my 2019 re-read:

This time around I would rate the book 4 stars, but since I've loved it for so long it would still average to 5. There are a few reasons for this lowered rating. First, I tend to get bored during the Caspian-flashback-as-told-by-Trumpkin. Second, I get so mad at the way C.S. Lewis wrote Susan in this book. Some of her comments and suggestions were quite reasonable, but nearly everything she says was dismissed as "too like a grown-up," and forgetting the fact that they were grown-ups in Narnia before. Also, Susan acting like a grown-up was bad, but Peter and Edmund were expected to be grown-up (aka "more like kings") and that was good.

Still. Even with the things I get mad at about this book, I still enjoy it. I just don't think I'll be re-reading it as frequently as I might otherwise. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
For me, "Prince Caspian" isn't one of the highlights of the Narnia series. Although it continues the journey of the Pevensie children, it seems like relatively bog-standard fantasy fare, with new characters who I actually find don't enhance the story that much. "The Magician's Nephew" suggested there were so many worlds out there, and this - while not a bad story, by any means - doesn't take much advantage of Lewis' imagination, beyond a few funny incidents. Perhaps I'm just not interested in the more standard fantasy tropes that appear here. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
Genealogical Research; Reference; Family History Guides
  yarrafaye | Apr 24, 2020 |
interesting ( )
  DigitalKB | Apr 13, 2020 |
This novel in the Narnia series did not particularly do it for me. It seemed a bit forced, stoic, and unmoving. For this reason, I am not giving it a high rating.

2 stars. ( )

Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
Mary Clare Havard
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, and it has been told in another book called The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe how they had a remarkable adventure.
"You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth."
Please do NOT combine "Prince Caspian" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.

Narnia... where animals talk... where trees walk... where a battle is about to begin.

A prince denied his rightful throne gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false King. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of the entire world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,842,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible