My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

My Brilliant Friend (2011)

by Elena Ferrante

Series: Neapolitan Novels (1)

Small Ceremonies by Carol Shields (aileverte)
    aileverte: Carol Shields and Elena Ferrante have similar sensibilities, write about the lives of slightly less than average women, offer insights into the writer's craft.
    The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Both are gorgeous novels about young girls' friendships and how they're complicated by class, family, desire.
    Die hellen Tage by Zsuzsa Bánk (Florian_Brennstoff)
    Das verborgene Wort by Ulla Hahn (Florian_Brennstoff)
    The Day Before Happiness by Erri De Luca (Widsith)
    Widsith: Two books about growing up in Naples in the 1950s, with illuminating differences – Ferrante writing the start of an epic series following girls from the housing estates, De Luca a short, concise look at a boy in the historical centre… both fascinating in divergent ways.… (more)
    Our Lady of the Nile by Scholastique Mukasonga (rrmmff2000)

English (178)  Italian (8)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Danish (2)  Piratical (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (214)
Though I watched and enjoyed the TV miniseries based on this book--and that in retrospect closely followed it--I wasn't expecting the read to be as good as it was. Its portrayal of a young girl and then teenager--an insecure, perceptive protagonist growing up in a Neapolitan, workingclass neighborhood in the fifties and sixties--had echoes for me of growing up in Queens during my own adolescence. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  copyedit52 | Apr 14, 2019 |
NOPE

A note a wrote while I was attempting to listen to this in the car still rings true. DNF this shit.

"I am listening to this in the car and honestly do not know if I will be able to finish the book. The children are absolutely dreadful to one another; hitting, yelling, gossiping day in and day out. There is so much violence and negativity. I have yet to determine why these two girls are friends, as they both treat each other like shit in their own way. I definitely would not recommend this to anyone. . ." ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Apr 12, 2019 |
This book is wonderful. The characters are powerfully real. ( )
  anitatally | Feb 28, 2019 |
I really wanted to love this book, but I just didn't. I really struggled liking any of the characters in this book, particularly the two main characters. I just really don't enjoy books with female narratives that include toxic and/or manipulative relationships. These two girls were just not good for each other. It is getting a bonus star (pushing it up to a 2 star book) for Ferrante's writing style, which I didn't completely hate. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
This book made me tired. I must confess that I don't enjoy this type of book; without a plot it is completely character driven and that is what made me tired. I fail to understand how the two young girls are best friends. They seem to use each other, not really care for each other like I expect friends to do. I know there are three subsequent books but I will pass. ( )
  book58lover | Feb 16, 2019 |

Ferrante, Elenaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goldstein, AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gross, NinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laake, Marieke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørsdal, KristinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE LORD: Therein thou’rt free, according to thy merits;

The like of thee have never moved My hate.

Of all the bold, denying Spirits,

The waggish knave least trouble doth create.

Man’s active nature, flagging, seeks too soon the level;

Unqualified repose he learns to crave;

Whence, willingly, the comrade him I gave,

Who works, excites, and must create, as Devil.--J.W. GOETHE, Faust, translation by Baynard Taylor
This morning Rino telephoned.

The story of Elena and Lila begins in a poor but vibrant neighbourhood  on the outskirts of Naples. The two girls learn to rely on each other ahead of anyone or anything else, sometimes to their own detriment, as each discovers more about who she is and suffers or delights in the throes of their intense relationship.
Volume One, of five
Her autobiography?
Childhood in Naples.
pickupsticks
Mysteries, hardships.
Fierce childhood in Naples slum
Lifelong loyalties.
pickupsticks

Beginning in the 1950s Elena and Lila grow up in Naples, Italy, mirroring two different aspects of their nation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,196,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible