dismiss

Jurassic Park (1990)

by Michael Crichton

Series: Jurassic Park (1)

For use in schools and libraries only. A breakthrough in genetic engineering leads to the development of a technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA, a method that brings about the creation of Jurassic Park, a tourist attraction populated by creatures extinct for eons.
    The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    King Kong by Delos W. Lovelace (Hedgepeth)
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran, wordcauldron)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: humanity creates without knowing
    When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (241)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (253)
The book is even better than the movie and Jurassic Park was one of my favorite movies. This perfect blend of scifi, horror and suspense makes for Michael Crichton's best work. RIP. ( )
  tkfinch75 | Jul 8, 2020 |
really fantastic! mathematician's warnings ring just as chillingly true 30 years later with scientists and technologists obsessed with "can i" over "should i". ( )
  piquareste | Jul 7, 2020 |
Jurassic Park, the movie, debuted in June 1993 and almost everyone in the world became obsessed with dinosaurs. It remains one of my favorite movies and every time I see it on TV, I always stop and rewatch my favorite parts. I don't ever remember reading the book and was curious about the comparison between the two.

Dr. Alan Grant and grad student Ellie Sattler are paleontologists at the forefront of their field. John Hammond, an eccentric millionaire, has funded their digs for reasons of his own. Grant and Sattler are working in the field, when Hammond calls and insists they come to his nature preserve. The two reluctantly agree, and fly out to Isla Nublar with Dennis Nedry, a computer technician, and Ian Malcolm, a mathematician who is an expert in the chaos theory.

The park is a revolutionary scientific accomplishment, with high tech equipment like supercomputers to control the park with minimal staff, motion detecting data to keep track of how many dinosaurs have been created, and the most talented geneticists to recreate and breed living dinosaurs. There is another recurring theme as well, which is that a human’s curiosity can have dire consequences, especially when it comes to messing with Mother Nature and her creations. The character who reiterates this message is, of course, Dr. Malcolm. Of course, the very best parts are the dinosaurs!

The book has some familiar scenes, as well as several different ones. Crichton's writing managed to give me a feeling of dread and kept me on the edge of my seat. This book is the perfect blend of reality and imagination. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
This book was creepy and scary and so much fun. I really enjoyed the story, the characters, and the twists and turns. There was a little too much math/computer science jargon for me which was a little distracting, but it was still a super fun read. ( )
  bookishtexpat | May 21, 2020 |
Not sure when I read this originally. I shelved it in 2010, though I'm positive I read it before that. (Since I don't know when, though, I'll use 2010 as my first read date.) I also don't know why I gave it a 2 star rating. I want to re-read this and see what I think of it now. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
The Jurassic Park is a novel by Michael Crichton, published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1990. The version I've read is the Hungarian edition, published by Maecenas Könyvkiadó in 1992. Jurassic Park is an adventure story, set in the near future on a dinosaur-based theme park, where everything goes wrong. Crichton's writing is captivating. He is able to show us a believable character in a page or two. I recommend the Jurassic Park book for anyone who would like to read a thrilling adventure story.

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haarala, TarmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,855,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible