Jurassic Park (1990)

by Michael Crichton

Series: Jurassic Park {Crichton novels} (1)

18,302287210 (3.92)1 / 249
For use in schools and libraries only. A breakthrough in genetic engineering leads to the development of a technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA, a method that brings about the creation of Jurassic Park, a tourist attraction populated by creatures extinct for eons.
    The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    King Kong by Delos W. Lovelace (Hedgepeth)
    Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran, wordcauldron)
    When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: humanity creates without knowing

English (273)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (286)
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
The book before the film was even thought of. Crichton is not technically the best of authors, some of the characters are a little stilted and the plot veers towards contrivance at times. But he's very clever and imaginative at using a fantasy/SF setting to make a point, and not always the obvious point that seems to be the case.

Jurassic park is perhaps Crichton's most famous work, and it holds up pretty well even though it's now a couple of decades old. The basic point of the story is actually born out by the lack of progress in genetics. Life is complicated and hard. We have managed to clone a few animals and it's almost routine for a few strains of lab mice etc. We can extract fragments of DNA from fossilized bone, and sequencing has got ever easier, no longer requiring supercomputers - although your laptop might not yet be powerful enough. One of his fears of back-garage geneticists cooking up strange beasts has yet to come to pass - and likely never will. The fragments are too small and while DNA is DNA patching isn't as easy as he predicted. The other main error of assumption and one of the underlying themes in Malcolm's speeches, is in the corruptibility of science. This is an under appreciated issue, but nowhere on the scale that he's forecast in this or any of his other works. Science does work for industry and industry does fund 'independent' research at universities, but the boundaries are watched, and most people are ethical.

The story itself is fairly short and predictable - a rch businessman coerces some scientists to leave their academic pursuits and spend his money cloning dinosaurs so that he can open the world's most profitable theme park - one a remote island away from any pesky laws regulations and inspections. As may be guessed inconsequential corners are cut, and the resulting consequences lead to the animals roaming free and the heroes -including two pesky kids - contending for their lives.

He's fairly free and loose with the biology of the dinosaurs, and rightly so on the grounds that nobody does know for sure, and never will.

Entertaining romp and like all the best SF makes you think about society and world we live in. ( )
  reading_fox | Jun 24, 2022 |
I completely understand why this has almost a cult following. It was better than I thought it was going to be. I only had a vague understanding of what happens in the movie so it was nice going into it with almost a clear mind about it. I think I would actually read the second book in this series (I think there are only two) if I found it somewhere. But overall I enjoyed the book and would recommend it. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |
I first read this over twenty years ago and decided I should try it again now that I'm an adult. My memory definitely missed out on parts, I loved exploring the park with the characters and their excitement and wonder as people who didn't grow up quite so aware of dinosaurs as I did. There were definitely parts I felt like the dinosaurs weren't quite as scary as they could have been, that the reactions of the characters didn't properly portray the fear they likely would have felt in situations like that. But all in all I enjoyed it. ( )
  MallorieLuna | Mar 27, 2022 |
Enjoyable. It’s been forever since I’ve read this so I didn’t remember anything other than Malcolm’s “the earth will survive” speech (which was apparently impactful to a teen that had grown up hearing about the hole in the ozone, deforestation of the rainforests, and endless refrains of “save the planet”), and boy is this different from the movie (which I still enjoy to this day).

The book is a bit more thought-provoking (at least until the dinosaurs start eating people) in regards to the morality of cloning and treatment and “real-ness” of the resulting animal, which I liked. And it was neat seeing the bits and pieces that have popped up in the movie franchise over the years. But there were things in the book that thankfully didn’t make the movie (rocket-launchers anyone?) which was a good decision. Also, the end made no sense to me and was worthless plot-wise aside from giving the ability to leave the story a little cliff-hanger-y.

While I feel no desire to continue to revisit my Crichton reads from the early 90s, I did enjoy this one. And I don’t even think nostalgia played a part in that. ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Mar 19, 2022 |
The Jurassic Park is a novel by Michael Crichton, published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1990. The version I've read is the Hungarian edition, published by Maecenas Könyvkiadó in 1992. Jurassic Park is an adventure story, set in the near future on a dinosaur-based theme park, where everything goes wrong. Crichton's writing is captivating. He is able to show us a believable character in a page or two. I recommend the Jurassic Park book for anyone who would like to read a thrilling adventure story.

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haarala, TarmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vector That FoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

Rushing, ambitious

geneticists move too fast

and life ... finds a way

4 2072

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,749,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible